TALKCalgary - Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

You are viewing in limited guest access mode only. For full access please login or register

Calgary Roads
 Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Dec 5th, 2006 01:09 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
trailmix

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Aug 20th, 2006
Mana: 
it can't be rocket science judging by the sheer volume of traffic I see
Well perhaps not rocket science, but maybe it should be.

Most people I know who drive in the winter just grit their teeth and move the car forward, although that's really not practical advice I know.

Ideally the roads would be looking better, the City would put more trucks on the road.  But since that doesn't seem to be about to happen, the best advice is to slowww down.

If you are driving a Hummer, with really good tires, it shouldn't be a problem, however there is no good way to stop at an intersection covered in ice, the only hope of stopping is if you were crawling along when you got there, which you should be, (and if even that doesn't work there is always the "hit the curb slowly" manouver).

Realistically there isn't any magic, it's a good idea to take a winter driving course, there are a few things you can do that help and will boost your confidence.  Other than that just remember you are driving the same vehicle you drove all Summer, just that now you have something slippery underneath!

Posted: Wed May 9th, 2007 09:38 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Lord of Midian

Joined TALKCalgary: Sat May 5th, 2007
Mana: 
trailmix wrote: it can't be rocket science judging by the sheer volume of traffic I see
Well perhaps not rocket science, but maybe it should be.

Most people I know who drive in the winter just grit their teeth and move the car forward, although that's really not practical advice I know.

Ideally the roads would be looking better, the City would put more trucks on the road.  But since that doesn't seem to be about to happen, the best advice is to slowww down.

If you are driving a Hummer, with really good tires, it shouldn't be a problem, however there is no good way to stop at an intersection covered in ice, the only hope of stopping is if you were crawling along when you got there, which you should be, (and if even that doesn't work there is always the "hit the curb slowly" manouver).

Realistically there isn't any magic, it's a good idea to take a winter driving course, there are a few things you can do that help and will boost your confidence.  Other than that just remember you are driving the same vehicle you drove all Summer, just that now you have something slippery underneath!

If your vehicle is rear-wheel-drive, then a limited-slip differential should be considered mandatory, along with good "M+S" (Mud and Snow)-rated all season tires--pardon, tyres;) .  You might also consider carrying a set of snow chains, though I've only ever needed them in the big trucks, and that just once. The ones you get for small cars aren't like the big steel V-rib things (though you can get those too) for heavy trucks, they're cables with studs rivetted in them. You probably should get a large bag of salt to dump under your driving wheels if you find yourself not going anywhere on icy roads. Make sure you learn how to install the chains if you got 'em, too. You absolutely do not need one of those disgusting, wretched yuppie swine-mobiles! They can't corner, stop, or manoeuvre for **BLEEP**, you can't see F/A out of them, and need I even mention the kind of fuel consumption you'll get? Just learn how to, like, drive--the winter driving course is also a good idea, I didn't know there were such--and apply some basic common sense:

The "Biggie:" Increase your following distance to other vehicles, give yourself extra room and time to stop. How do you know how much is enough? You can find out by taking some time in an empty parking lot or back road to know what your vehicle needs and can/can't do. Always leave yourself a "hole" to the sides, front, and rear of your vehicle in traffic if at all possible, as much as possible.

Keep an eye on traffic lights: If you see the flashing hand on your light, that means the light's going to change, so start slowing down. Once you get to the "point-of-no-return"--meaning too far along to be able to stop behind the line--and if you've still got the light, go, and clear the intersection ASAP (max. safe speed, not max. speed. It doesn't need to be 300kph!). Light going yellow or even red, and you can't stop? Look to the cross street, if they're stopped you have a few choices:

1) Try to stop anyway, and then just reverse back to behind the stopline once you have.

2) If the road is very icy, you probably won't be able to stop, so just clear it as quick as you safely can. Breaking the law, naturally, but trying to fight a fine is better than possibly wadding up your ride.

3) Driving a large vehicle or a heavy truck, or towing a trailer? Go. Trust me, that s--t won't stop no matter what you do, and losing control of that much length and weight in a slide on ice is usually "it," especially if it's articulated. Read: "Jack-knife, you are now a passenger who just happens to be sitting in the driving seat." 

As you slip-and-slide on through, honk your horn a few times, so the lemmings at the cross street are aware that you can't stop, and they might--might--let you go.

Just some tips on defensive driving from an accident- and (for the most part) violation-free trucker with a heavy right foot. :dude:

Oh yeah, one other point as regards driving in Calgary in general (Critically important): 99.99% of your fellow road-users really are complete f---ing MORONS, who think money and testosterone are suitable replacements for brains, and are unshakably convinced that the laws of physics, common sense, or the rules of the road don't apply to them.

Posted: Wed May 9th, 2007 09:47 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
Hitman wrote: Trucker the city council's thinking on this is simple (just like them) and goes something like this:

If snow falls plaster the roads with lots of sand and dirt.  Of course this has no real benefit to motorists since all this **BLEEP** ends up either at the side of the road or on your car but it will give the impression that we are doing “something” Meanwhile wait for a Chinook.

Problem solved! Gee that was simple! Now let’s go and hike property taxes another 4% the voters won’t mind. In fact, most of Calgary’s voters don’t have minds. If they did they wouldn’t have elected us in the first place.

Boy is that the time? Almost December better start giving some thought on what to do with all those bums sleeping rough on the streets. Perhaps we could arrange a nice photo-op for them. On the other hand since temperatures are set to drop below -30 tonight perhaps the problem will be gone in the morning. Just like a bad dream.

Voters? What voters? Nobody votes, nobody cares, nobody even thinks, which is exactly what our bought-and-paid for municipal and provincial government wants and needs. 70+ years and counting....

Posted: Tue May 15th, 2007 06:10 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
OutWest

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 18th, 2007
Mana: 
MIDIAN: The more you talk, the less you actually say

Last edited on Tue May 15th, 2007 06:10 am by OutWest

Posted: Tue May 15th, 2007 08:26 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
OutWest wrote: MIDIAN: The more you talk, the less you actually say

OUTWEST: The more you flame, the more you show yourself to be just another generic, laughable, smugly self-satisfied Yuppie a--hat.

Way to go, Yup, keep it up. I daresay I actually find your ilk amusing in a certain pitiful way...

Just out of curiosity--'cuz this thread is about driving--how big is your SUV, what kind of fuel consumption does it get, and how many parking spaces does it take up?

Go Yuppie, go Yuppie, go Yuppie, GO!

"What's wrong, were you born before your God invented eyes?" (Ronnie James Dio)

Posted: Wed May 16th, 2007 08:01 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
OutWest

Mana: 
MIDIAN!

RE: SUV's, You are ASSuming again. U are clueless, bubba.

Posted: Wed May 16th, 2007 08:12 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
OutWest

Mana: 
HEY, I have no tickets in 20 years, so quit the attitude

Current time is 12:37 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.0998 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 32 queries executed.