TALKCalgary - Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
TALKCalgary - Forums > Calgary Stuff > General Talk > Too Harsh on Graffiti Teens?

You are viewing in limited guest access mode only. For full access please login or register

Too Harsh on Graffiti Teens?
 Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jan 17th, 2007 04:48 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
BadGRRRL

Joined TALKCalgary: Mon May 1st, 2006
Mana: 
Okay here's the deal, This morning on the news they had reported that 3 teens (Two 15 year olds and a 13 year old)  were caught for vandalizing & spray painting graffiti all over McKenzie.  Now with the young offender's act, these kids will get away with a slap on the wrist.  However, homeowners are out time and money to repaint their fences, garage doors, and vehicles etc - As a punishment,  I think these Kids should have to go to each and every homeowner whose property was damaged, apologize, feel the wrath of the homeowner (it just takes one to verbally rip a good strip off them)and offer to repair the damage that was done or other tasks (snow shovelling etc) equivalent to what the cost of fixing it was.  AND I think that they should have to clean up graffiti in the downtown core for at least a good month.  The City has just spent $3 million bucks cleaning graffiti and really, that money could be better spent elsewhere.  As well, if you're caught tagging or etching etc - every time your signature is found and documented...you should have to remove graffiti for a full day or more.  That'll help put an end to it . 
Is this a harsh punishment or should kids be accountable for the damage they've done?  Do these kids realize the investment - both emotionally & financially that people have put into their property? We all do stupid things as a teen, and part of it is being a teen, but at what point do you really realize....."Whoa - I just screwed up big time!"   

Posted: Fri Jan 19th, 2007 05:29 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
trailmix

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Aug 20th, 2006
Mana: 
I agree that they need to be held accountable and I also think they should have to go and clean up after themselves.  It might be ok for them to be spoken to by the homeowners (only in a controlled environment - like in court).

This part however:

As well, if you're caught tagging or etching etc - every time your signature is found and documented...you should have to remove graffiti for a full day or more.

Probably wouldn't work, you would have retaliation between people, most people can copy a signature/tag.

Posted: Sat Feb 10th, 2007 12:15 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
trailmix

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Aug 20th, 2006
Mana: 
Spray paint their face?

Posted: Sun Feb 11th, 2007 07:43 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
BadGRRRL

Joined TALKCalgary: Mon May 1st, 2006
Mana: 
Doesn't dried spraypaint get a little chafy when you're "procreating" solo?  All I'm saying is that they are teenagers....

Posted: Wed Apr 18th, 2007 10:58 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
OutWest

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 18th, 2007
Mana: 

Cruel and unusual punishment. The lawyers and Human rights crowd will never allow such harsh measures. AND... it would put them out of work, cause such measures would actually smarten the punks up. Good chance they might become productive citzens, instead of thugs, (or lawyers)

Posted: Wed Apr 18th, 2007 10:59 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

Last edited on Wed Apr 18th, 2007 11:00 am by OutWest

Posted: Wed Apr 18th, 2007 07:25 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
meemo

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Feb 6th, 2007
Mana: 
Oh come on... lawyers?!?  You know Lionel Hutz from 'Simpsons' provoked many an interesting thought in the head of Meemo about the fact we need them in our world.. especially when he stated...

"Can you image a world without lawyers?" He then pictures a huge circle of people of different races, religions and colours dancing around a hill on a sunny day, after which he shudders in disgust.  WE CAN'T LET THIS HAPPEN!.. LET THERE BE LAWYERS!hahaha:P

Posted: Wed Apr 18th, 2007 07:31 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
OutWest

Mana: 
Did you read that joke about Noah and 2007 in the Jokes thread? It totally cracked me up.

Then I thought for a bit and started to cry ;)

Last edited on Wed Apr 18th, 2007 07:32 pm by OutWest

Current time is 11:42 pm

TALKCalgary - Forums > Calgary Stuff > General Talk > Too Harsh on Graffiti Teens?

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.0809 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 27 queries executed.