TALKCalgary - Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

You are viewing in limited guest access mode only. For full access please login or register

Cell Phone Tracking
 Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Feb 9th, 2007 07:59 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
meemo

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Feb 6th, 2007
Mana: 
Ok this is something that's been on my mind for a while and maybe someone else has some opinions or insight into this...

Cell phone tracking is used to determine the current position of a cell phone.  Newer phones now have a GPS reciever built in which provides greater accuracy in locating a cell and it's owner.  Even Disney have released a phone, along with a watch, both containing GPS recievers.  The idea: To keep kids safe as you will always know where they are and perhaps more importantly, who they are with.  You also wouldn't worry about getting lost in the middle of nowhere as the phone and it's owner can be located usually within a 25-100 metre radius  There has been a backlash against this idea though, as some people are stating this is an unacceptable violation of our right to privacy.  How about you?  Would you feel safer knowing you could be located by your cell phone, or more uneasy??

Posted: Fri Feb 9th, 2007 05:30 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
trailmix

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Aug 20th, 2006
Mana: 
Seems ridiculous that there is a 'backlash'.  It's obviously a good idea to have a GPS on a cell phone or watch for a child, I like the idea.

For adults, it's up to them I should think.  Retailers should give people the option of with or without GPS.

If they don't and you are against the idea - easy - don't have a cell phone.

Posted: Sat Feb 10th, 2007 04:35 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
meemo

Mana: 
Agreed that many of the people who are against the idea of cell phone tracking are probably those who buy into and believe 'big brother' is watching them on a regular basis, but as with all things, there is still a negative side to this technology....

Since 2001, there have actually been quite a few cases reported, of stalkers and domestic abusers using this technology to monitor and keep track of their victims by simply downloading inexpensive programs from the internet.  Technology is a wonderful thing, and granted this has by far saved more lives than it has endangered, but it is still something that can put you at risk if abused. 

Posted: Wed Mar 28th, 2007 11:00 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
meemo

Mana: 
Hmm.. free cell phone tracking.. well just tried that out.. so thats what you've been up to with your free time?!?... Interesting:P  See its not paranoia if they're really watching you.. and now meemo knows all and sees all!muahahah

Posted: Mon Apr 23rd, 2007 03:27 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
meemo

Mana: 
You know you can still be tracked by your cell phone even if the GPS feature is turned off, you just don't get as accurate of a trace on the individual.  Your phone can still give out positioning information with a little help from the service provider through triangulation(though I'm not 100% sure of what the accuracy of this is).  Basically, to the best of my knowledge, you can pretty much always be tracked by your cell phone unless you turn it off entirely.  Which can be I suppose both a blessing and a curse come to think of it:P

Posted: Sat Sep 18th, 2010 05:50 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
bigfoot

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Sep 1st, 2010
Mana: 
****************FAKE************:P

Current time is 12:36 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1239 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 27 queries executed.