TALKCalgary - Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
TALKCalgary - Forums > Calgary Stuff > General Talk > Fittest & Fattest US cities..

You are viewing in limited guest access mode only. For full access please login or register

Fittest & Fattest US cities..
 Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Feb 10th, 2007 07:47 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
meemo

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Feb 6th, 2007
Mana: 
Well hey you know after reading that I think it's only fair we take some time to recognize Texas for containing more cities on the 'fat-list' there than any other state - good job!:P  Guess what they say is true, "everything is bigger in Texas"... As Morgan Spurlock told us in his documentary Supersize Me!

As for Calgary, yea I think we're doing ok on the fit or fat scale so to speak.  I know after New York put into place their city-wide ban on trans fats, we were also pondering the fact anyway, so at the very least we're on the right track.:D

Posted: Mon Feb 12th, 2007 05:38 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
trailmix

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Aug 20th, 2006
Mana: 
So is that like a 'fat joke' for a whole state?

Posted: Wed Mar 28th, 2007 11:24 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
meemo

Mana: 
You know, I think we need to consider re-designing the state flag too... and perhaps a whole new approach to tourism.. I mean i doubt you ever have to travel too many blocks between fast food franchises or doughnut shops there, thats gotta be a selling point... I'd move to Texas if there was a guarantee of a constant supply of sugar and greasy foods, wouldn't you?!?:P

Posted: Wed Apr 18th, 2007 08:46 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
OutWest

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 18th, 2007
Mana: 
I'd move to Texas if there was a guarantee of a constant supply of sugar and greasy foods, wouldn't you?!?:P

McDonalds are everywhere. Fat for life is never gonna be a problem.

People need exercise more than revised diets.

Good eating habits make sense though. I go through the checkout at the supermarket. Look in the fat lady's buggy: Ice cream, 2 cakes, lard, 3 kg of reg ground beef, and no fruits, veggies, etc. 

Last edited on Wed Apr 18th, 2007 08:48 pm by OutWest

Posted: Wed Apr 18th, 2007 09:29 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
I go through the checkout at the supermarket. Look in the fat lady's buggy: Ice cream, 2 cakes, lard, 3 kg of reg ground beef, and no fruits, veggies, etc. 

And that is your business because.......?

Posted: Wed Apr 18th, 2007 09:41 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
OutWest

Mana: 
 It is my business because is not the topic, here

If you want to turn this into a pi$$ing match, feel free to do so.

... well the idea is to see why some get fat and stay that way, and others don't. Of course if that's all over your head, I understand.

Posted: Thu Apr 19th, 2007 01:24 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
It is my business because is not the topic, here
If you want to turn this into a pi$$ing match, feel free to do so.
... well the idea is to see why some get fat and stay that way, and others don't. Of course if that's all over your head, I understand.

I was just asking the question, if you choose not to answer it - so be it.

Thin people buy ice cream and chips too - which flies in the face of your 'scientific research'. Anyway, there will always be people like you who have nothing better to do than to make a judgement call based on what is in someones shopping basket - I hope that isn't over your head?

Last edited on Thu Apr 19th, 2007 01:27 am by trailmix

Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2007 11:25 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

You were NOT  just 'asking the question.' You asked that Q to antagonize. I recognize the symptoms. First you play that card, then add the label racist/judgemental/ or any one of another half dozen.

You see, every forum with traffic has jerks like you who like to irritate people. The other thing you jerks have in common is your inability to relate to others. Have a nice day, hag-bag

Hope that isn't too far over your head

Posted: Sat Apr 21st, 2007 01:48 am
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
 You were NOT  just 'asking the question.' You asked that Q to antagonize. I recognize the symptoms. First you play that card, then add the label racist/judgemental/ or any one of another half dozen.

You see, every forum with traffic has jerks like you who like to irritate people. The other thing you jerks have in common is your inability to relate to others. Have a nice day, hag-bag

I'm not denying I said that to irrate/antagonize you, well that might have been an aside really - but frankly I don't care if I did.

I don't think I really 'labelled' you as anything - you are a guy/girl who goes to the supermarket and makes judgements about people based on what is in their shopping carts (this goes beyond just being nosy) and then you post it on a forum  - honestly, if a label was made here I think it was of your own making - not mine.

Posted: Sat Apr 21st, 2007 03:02 am
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
OutWest

Mana: 
Wrong, ma'am. that is your INTERPRETATION of my post. Other people interpret the post totally differently than you did.  *Other people: (You know, normal ones who don't look for demons under every piece of furniture)

Just look at the topic, the context and then my comment about why some people get fat. I said look at what's in their buggy in the supermarket. I didn't say to chastise them and then write them a fifty dollar fine for eating pig food. Of course, that is perhaps what YOU might think of doing, and you relate everything to YOU

Finally:

You aren't exactly bubbling over with joy, are you? Two books you might read: 'The power of Positive thinking" , and "Psycho Cybernetics." I know it's old time stuff, but you would benefit from what they are sayng. Also suggest you read that jokes thread, as IMHO you need a good laugh.

Oh yeah, if there is ever one of those Tony Robbins 'Personal Power" Infomercials?: Watch it. I don't necessarily buy everything he says, but his positive energy might rub off on you. Sadly, you'd likely see him as some kind of monster

..And actually; I made no reference to judging the fat person. Just made reference to what they eat. If you are 5-5 and 230 lbs, I didn't mean to offend you.

Last edited on Sat Apr 21st, 2007 03:06 am by OutWest

Posted: Thu Apr 26th, 2007 11:58 am
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
You called me a psycho...something.. in another post, you suggest reading materials for me, you claim I have no sense of humour.

You must be psychic then, you seem to know a lot about me from a few posts on a forum.

That aside, I am allowed my interpretation of what you say and I don't think you can speak for everyone else - and the height/weight thing....I mean really...

Last edited on Thu Apr 26th, 2007 11:59 am by trailmix

Posted: Thu Apr 26th, 2007 12:38 pm
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

:P who cares?

Posted: Thu Apr 26th, 2007 01:02 pm
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
Apparently you do?  You were quite vocal the other night, I guess you aren't in the same 'frame of mind' this morning?

Posted: Sat Apr 28th, 2007 05:49 am
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
meemo

Mana: 
Hmm... not sure I want to interfere with this little 'discussion' you guys have going here.... *assembles protective armour for necessary measures of precaution just in case*... Still at the risk of being attacked and/or maimed here, I don't think you can relate a person's body type entirely to their dietary habits... I mean I am probably the most unhealthy of all eaters(diet consits primarily of chocolate and cheese), yet the metabolism is still on my side right now.  So I think aside from our dietary habits, our metabolic rate plays a predominant role in our size and general physical well being as opposed to just stating we should 'eat healthier' and analysing our shopping carts, you know??:?   

Posted: Sat Apr 28th, 2007 10:29 am
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

No prob' I just don't like snotty or Pol/Corr. idiots.

Posted: Sat Apr 28th, 2007 01:13 pm
  PMQuoteReply
16th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
yeah meemo, a voice of reason!

Posted: Sat Apr 28th, 2007 04:23 pm
  PMQuoteReply
17th Post
meemo

Mana: 
Why thank you, thank you... always nice to be appreciated.. now I feel special!(just not Ralph Wiggum "Stop eating the paste" - type special that is... hopefully!)

Posted: Sat Apr 28th, 2007 04:30 pm
  PMQuoteReply
18th Post
meemo

Mana: 
Getting back to the whole fast food thing though from the beginning of this thread... has anyone seen Supersize Me, or that new movie Fast Food Nation by any chance??  See that's where I see the root of the problem as personally... Not that you can narrow down morbid obesity to one cause that is, but come on... all this artery clogging goodness has to be at least one of the contributing factors, don't you think??!

Posted: Sat Apr 28th, 2007 09:21 pm
  PMQuoteReply
19th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
That's a good question - I  have seen supersize me.  The thing I ponder is that there was obesity before fast food was regularly consumed. 

I tend to think it goes further than even just fast foods, to all modified foods and that maybe some (or really - many) humans don't metabolize these foods very well - rather than it being just a calorie/high fat/easy access issue.

Posted: Sun Apr 29th, 2007 01:09 am
  PMQuoteReply
20th Post
Cutter

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 26th, 2006
Mana: 
Yes - there was obesity before fast food was regularly consumed, but not to the level that there is today. Obesity especially in children is not something new. What is new is the rapid growth of the obesity problem post MacDonalds which has now reached epidemic levels. Fast food companies know this, which is why they spend millions on spin doctors and advertising campaigns to try and counter the hard medical facts. The really sick ones such as MacDonald’s even go as far as targeting advertising at children and setting up “feel good” charities such as Ronald MacDonald House which provide cheep housing and McMeals for the families of seriously ill children. 

A few years ago I had the opportunity to visit a Ronald MacDonald house here in Calgary. I was sickened by all the MacDonald propaganda to which these sick children and their families are subjected to.  In one corner of the house stood a life size Ronald MacDonald clown, while outside a MacDonald’s rep (also dressed up as a clown) was dancing around handing out free Big Mac vouchers to a small group of people who had gathered to watch a street hockey game being played. At the end of the game Ronald’s PR minions had one of the families who were staying at the house stand up and publicly thank MacDonald’s for providing discount accommodation and MacMeals for her and her child. Is that sick or what?

But what really sickens me all most as much as MacDonalds food is all those slogans they just love to use. You know, slogans such as:

“I’M lovin it”

Perhaps they should consider something more on the line of:

“Its killing me”

Posted: Sun Apr 29th, 2007 09:30 am
  PMQuoteReply
21st Post
OutWest

Mana: 

Vancouver is a fit city, generally speaking. Well, let me re-phrase that. Half are fit, the other half are fat from pigging out after smoking all that pot.

Posted: Mon Apr 30th, 2007 09:36 am
  PMQuoteReply
22nd Post
OutWest

Mana: 
Tintin: Taking that out of context gives one a sour taste in their mouth. My original point was simply this:

-Take a look in the shopping cart of a lean, healthy person. Note what they eat.

-Do the same with the fat person's cart. Note what they eat.

Now, more about this obesity thingy:

When we were kids, most of us weren't packing much extra weight...  I am thinking of in the 60's. We played every day for an hour or more. Football, shooting hoops, tennis, swimming,  etc. Two of my friends and I would often wrestle each other for an hour sometimes after school.  One guy waits and then takes on the winner.

Then there was phys Ed classes... you at least got to do a 20 minute run and a few calisthenics.

Now take the same crew 10 yrs later. Perhaps 75% of them are no longer 6 ft and 175-80, NOPE over 220.. and fat.  WHY??? The biggest single reason is they quit exercising a week after they graduated from high school.

The other 25% are in the weight room a couple times a week, on the golf course, skating on an outdoor rink, Arobics classes, tennis courts or something... and when you do this, you begin to watch what you eat.

Since the advent of the internet, the whole country has plumped out. There are folks who spend 5 hours a day on this thing. What do you think is happening with their health?

McDonalds' food is atrocious, but lack of exercise is the biggest cause of most obesity in this country IMHO

Finally, I didn't put that initial statement together very well. You ought to check the hate mail I got :P

Maybe I can get on with the Herald??

Last edited on Mon Apr 30th, 2007 09:37 am by OutWest

Posted: Mon Apr 30th, 2007 01:35 pm
  PMQuoteReply
23rd Post
Cutter

Mana: 
Tintin what’s wrong with checking out what fat woman have in their shopping cart? Hell I always look in their shopping carts.  The only thing I used to enjoy more was looking at fat girls through my telescope but the cops took that away from me a few months back.

Seriously though, I think the point Outwest was trying to make was simply that fat people tend to stuff more of the wrong kind of foods into their fat little faces. That’s why their fat. OK some may have medical conditions that make them fat, but most are simply over eating pigs who don’t exercise.   

Posted: Mon Apr 30th, 2007 09:56 pm
  PMQuoteReply
24th Post
trailmix

Mana: 

You are judgemental and rude - do you guys run off at the mouth like this as a general rule or do you save this for forums and chat.

Who do you think you are judging other people, you talk like (poorly mannered) elementary school children, where is your compassion for other people?

Posted: Tue May 1st, 2007 01:06 am
  PMQuoteReply
25th Post
Cutter

Mana: 
Oh boy you really have gone off the deep end this time Trail.  I was not being judgmental. I was simply pointing out that (in most cases) fat people are fat because they consume more calories then they burn. This is not judgmental it is science fact. 

Secondly (and I know we have disagreed on the issue in previous posts about political correctness) I was not being rude. How is it being rude to call a fat person fat? What would you prefer I call them, plump, obese, or over-weight? 

Lastly you say I have no compassion for fat people. This is perhaps the only comment you have made that is somewhat true. Why? Because in most cases they have the ability to lose the weight if they so desire. Unfortunately their desire to sit back on the couch and shovel the next cream cake down is stronger, hence they remain over-weight. QED

Oh - one final point. Two years ago I moved from a physical job to a desk job.  In that time I have put on more than a few extra pounds myself. Now at 5”11 and 245lbs I am considered fat. However this is my problem and something I intend to correct. Until then, I can’t complain when the fat jokes (and believe me I am on the receiving end of lots of them) get past around the office. As my doctor said if I want to loose the weight I simply have to eat less and exercise more.

Posted: Tue May 1st, 2007 03:19 am
  PMQuoteReply
26th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

ZAP THIS... T'ks

Last edited on Tue May 1st, 2007 08:43 pm by OutWest

Posted: Tue May 1st, 2007 08:29 pm
  PMQuoteReply
27th Post
OutWest

Mana: 
DAVE:

You are right. No kidding... I must be crazy to let words on a screen get my dander up. (I've been a jerk)

PHEN: "All mankind has sinned, and fallen short....." This INCLUDES me. Doesn't excuse me, but does include me.

In other words, POINT TAKEN

TRAILMIX: If possible: truce

Last edited on Tue May 1st, 2007 08:31 pm by OutWest

Posted: Fri May 4th, 2007 04:08 am
  PMQuoteReply
28th Post
Cutter

Mana: 
Strange you feel the need to apologize for expressing your point of view. Is that not what forums like this are all about? Still in this case perhaps Dave was at least partially right. You stood little chance of winning an argument with someone who is so cocooned in a veil of political correctness that it impedes their ability to see clearly.  

Posted: Fri May 4th, 2007 06:03 pm
  PMQuoteReply
29th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
Sure, a truce is good with me.

As for you Cutter, the views I express are not intended to be politically correct, they are actually my views, not based on other peoples opinions of what is correct or not or what is currently socially acceptable, in fact I've had these views since before it was politically correct to be politically correct.

I do believe a person can get a point or an opinion across without being so rude, I am also not too fond of unkind people.

Outwest says something nice and you criticize him for it, I also don't see Dave's post as a slight against me, but I do find it interesting how you twisted it.

Last edited on Fri May 4th, 2007 06:40 pm by trailmix

Posted: Sat May 5th, 2007 09:32 am
  PMQuoteReply
30th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

This is no big deal, folks.

Besides,. I have  NEW hobby now; slamming the Bloc Quebecois for opening their collective mouths.

The NHL should show some guts and tell them, "NOPE we won't sit down and talk with you jerks. WE, and not YOU, will decide who captains team Canada. We can run it quite well without you. You just stick to what you do best, and keep p---ing off the rest of Canada."  

Why am I talking about this? (Don't answer)

Posted: Sat May 5th, 2007 07:35 pm
  PMQuoteReply
31st Post
Cutter

Mana: 
trailmix wrote: As for you Cutter, the views I express are not intended to be politically correct, they are actually my views, not based on other peoples opinions of what is correct or not or what is currently socially acceptable, in fact I've had these views since before it was politically correct to be politically correct.

And for that Trail I respect you. :)

Posted: Tue May 8th, 2007 03:55 pm
  PMQuoteReply
32nd Post
meemo

Mana: 
Lastly you say I have no compassion for fat people. This is perhaps the only comment you have made that is somewhat true. Why? Because in most cases they have the ability to lose the weight if they so desire. Unfortunately their desire to sit back on the couch and shovel the next cream cake down is stronger, hence they remain over-weight. QED
Ah Cutter, your posts are always unique and opinionated(for better or worse might I add :P) Anyways... have you ever considered the possibility it is not a conscious choice for these individuals to "shovel the next cream cake down"?? It has been said recently in 'Scientific American Mind' magazine, that drug addiction and binge eating are not all that different in neurobiological terms. Let me try showing you what I mean here....

Have you ever noticed why some people crave chocolate or cheese for no apparent reason?? You should have come to think of it since you seem so concerned with the lives of people around you and matters which really(as far as I can see), have little or nothing to do with you! But anyways... when we finally get chance to eat the foods we crave, large amounts of the neurotransmitter dopamine are released into our brains. Likewise, cocaine and amphetamines cause dopamine levels to increase(albeit quite a bit more so, but still...) So it has been suggested that binge eating and drug addiction are in fact "two sides of the same coin". Researchers have shown that highly overweight individuals for that matter(like drug addicts), suffer from a dopamine shortage therefore, which provokes them to seek out different forms of food to get their 'fix' so to speak.

Posted: Thu May 10th, 2007 08:39 am
  PMQuoteReply
33rd Post
OutWest

Mana: 

Ma'am, people overeat and pig out on chocolate because they lack self discipline, and they won't change their attitude toards foods that can kill them.

I have to scoff a bit at this new fangled idea that every thing we do that harms us is due to some disease. This exia, that exia. I also laugh when I hear folks claim that they haven't time to exercise. COPOUT! They just lazy

If you exercise for an hour a day, 4 x a week, you will have better circulation, better breathing, and therefore you will sleep better. For this reason, you will need less of it. In fact, easy guess is you will need 45 mins less of it.

Just start walking... fast... jog a block, walk 4 blocks, etc

Current time is 01:58 pm

TALKCalgary - Forums > Calgary Stuff > General Talk > Fittest & Fattest US cities..

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1195 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 28 queries executed.