TALKCalgary - Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

You are viewing in limited guest access mode only. For full access please login or register

Three Wishes...
 Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Apr 19th, 2007 12:14 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
meemo

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Feb 6th, 2007
Mana: 
If you could have 3 wishes granted to you, regardless of monetary limitations, commitments you may have, or pretty much any other factor which may pose or present itself to you, what would make you happy? Or I guess… more to the point… if you found out you had only a short time left to live, what would you do? We all just have a limited time here anyway, we never know how long we have left. What are among the things we want to do before we die? How much is what we do limited by the fear of repercussions? The fear of consequence, of what tomorrow may hold for us? So what if there was no tomorrow? People say we should ‘live like there is no tomorrow’, that we should make every second count and seize the moment… ‘carpe diem.’ Imagine if we did just this then… should we wait until something like this occurs before we act on what we feel and actually do what we want for a change, what we may ordinarily be afraid or feel inhibited to do so. I mean that is one of the appeals or draws towards alcohol and drug use is it not? People want to experience new things, new ways of thinking and what have you.

The fact is however, we can’t just act how we want all the time and live in a world or society of anarchy… there is a tomorrow as far as we know, and consequences are a fact of life. So that being said, imagine a world free of emotions such as anger, sorrow, love, trust and where caring, along with guilt, do not exist. Would we still feel as inhibited if we thought only of ourselves and what would make us feel fulfilled and happy?

What would you do if you only had a month left?… a week?… a day?

Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2007 11:50 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
OutWest

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 18th, 2007
Mana: 
I'd probably do my spring cleaning ( for the year 2006) I don't want to leave a mess behind.

Then I'd get all my family and friends together and spend a couple thousand on a dinner. In other words, have a kind of going away party, for me. Graduation day, I'm going home :)

Then I'd give away everything I own. If the death decision was reversed and I lived another 25-30 years, I'd know I'd been conned

Last edited on Sat Apr 21st, 2007 03:16 am by OutWest

Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2007 11:51 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
OutWest

Mana: 

Now it's YOUR turn. What would you do?

Posted: Sat Apr 21st, 2007 12:36 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
meemo

Mana: 
You know I really have no idea what I would do, or how I would act if I was presented with that scenario.  I think that's kinda the point though.  I mean all this talk about having a fear of reprucussions in life and how if we knew the outcome of something, we may be more inclined to take a risk(or at least make an informed/educated decision about it.) 

You know a quote I read once along these lines was...  “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” ~ James Dean

What I guess I was getting at here however, was should we wait until we are presented with something earth shattering and severely detrimental to our well being before we make changes and actually act on impulses for a change.  For me personally, I would rather regret acting in a 'stupid' way than have to deal with that knawing sensation of "what if?" for the rest of my life, you know?  And I mean how much of how we are in fact living today, is based on the uncertainty of what we may be faced with tomorrow?  I don't want to have overthink issues anymore, I mean Que sera, sera, right?(Whatever will be, will be)  

So in answer to your question OutWest... I(like I'm sure many other people are) am a creature of routine, and a person who likes to feel they can count or rely on certain things in life.  Soooo... if I could have 3 wishes granted to me, I would want to know I would have the promise of a good career one day(not necessarily a great deal of wealth - although I wouldn't turn that down:P), I would want to know that no matter how much I seem to be messing up my life now, I'll be remembered for something good one day, and finally... I'd want to know I'd never 'die alone' so to speak... I mean what else can we ask for in life other than to feel we have a purpose, someone to share our lives with, and that we may leave behind a legacy anyways?? 

Last edited on Sat Apr 21st, 2007 12:40 am by meemo

Posted: Sat Apr 21st, 2007 03:16 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
OutWest

Mana: 
Most important of all is this: I'd want to know:

Is there an afterlife? (I am 100% convinced there is)

Where would I spend eternity? (I am 100% convinced that there are just two places; one awesome, one horrible)

After that is settled, not much else matters all that much.

Posted: Mon Apr 23rd, 2007 02:05 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
meemo

Mana: 
See as for your first question there... "Is there an afterlife?".. I guess I have two ways of thought on the matter.  I mean I myself am personally an agnostic.  Yes I do have my own personal beliefs and am not so conceited as to think this is the 'if all and end all' of the universe, but I am at best, always skeptical about things like this and doubt any proof will ever be found one way or another.  But anyways... this skeptic in me, believes basically that when we die we just stop 'being'.. so to speak.  ie... we return to the same state of consiousness(or lack thereof) we were in before we came into existence.. we will have the same self awareness as a chair or any other inanimate object.  Albeit this may sound a little morbid(to say the least:P) but this just seems to make the most sense to me... and we won't miss life after death, any more that we missed life before existence, you know? 

However... I am also open to the possibility of the concept of reincarnation... and if this is the case or something you also believe, who(or what) were we in past life/s??  And more to the point, what will we ultimately become?  One thing I do believe though... is very few people can be divided up or classified into good or bad/right or wrong, etc.  So that being said, I doubt we are ever rewarded with a 'heaven' of sorts, or punished by 'hell'.  Please keep in mind by the way, these are my personal beliefs and not ones I am trying to impose on others or convert people with, merely my thoughts and ways of thinking on the matter:)

Posted: Thu Apr 26th, 2007 01:00 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

I did the math. Re-Incarnation can't be real. 1 billion nice folks here 120 yrs ago. Where did the other 4 billion incarnate from?

or is it 5 billion?

Anyhow, proof, or irrefutable evidence never made a believer out of anyone. however..... Faith will... even a tiny measure of it, and I believe we are all born with a measure of it. 

Posted: Sat Apr 28th, 2007 05:54 am
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
meemo

Mana: 
Interesting.. but you are calculating this with only the human population I take it.  Reincarnation in my mind is not limited to only this... I mean it is kinda conceited to think in that manner, don't you think??  I mean who's to say who or what we'll come back as after this brief stint of life after all?

Posted: Sat Apr 28th, 2007 10:32 am
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

I will come back as an angry Wasp, and have some fun with my ex. Of course, she will probably come back as a 200 lb fly swatter

Posted: Sat Apr 28th, 2007 04:12 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
meemo

Mana: 
Hahaha... oooh perhaps I should come back as a butterfly?!  'Cause after all, as Bart Simpson wisely told us... "Nobody ever suspects the butterfly!" muahahah....

Ok... soooo.. getting back to the whole three wishes thing(or kind of along those lines I guess)... Everyone says they have regrets or things they wish they could've handled differently and would change in an instant given the chance.  So if you could go back in time and change something that happened in your life or how you acted when presented with a certain choice and/or situation, what would you change??

Posted: Sun Apr 29th, 2007 09:40 am
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

I would have bought all the Walmart stock I could, in 1974, when it was trading at a split-adjusted price of 1.3 cents per share

I would have run over robert clifford olson... several times

Last edited on Sun Apr 29th, 2007 09:41 am by OutWest

Posted: Sun Jul 1st, 2007 05:39 pm
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
meemo

Mana: 
Nice!  Ooooh... perhaps a good thing to do would have been to see the parents of Paris Hilton be given some form of birth control as a gift to avoid such future public aggrevation:P  A true public service which everyone can enjoy and benefit from dont'cha think?!?!

Current time is 12:38 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1334 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 27 queries executed.