TALKCalgary - Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

You are viewing in limited guest access mode only. For full access please login or register

Fate or Free Will?
 Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Poll
So Can they Coincide Together?

View Results

Vote
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Apr 18th, 2007 11:19 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
meemo

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Feb 6th, 2007
Mana: 
Personally, I believe we make our own luck and destiny in life. Our future isn’t predetermined or mapped out for us yet, it’s whatever we make it.(Even Doc. Brown agreed on this fact in the end of Back to the Future III after all - there’s an argument for you!) Seriously though, I don’t think you can ever choose just one or the other with a question like this. In my opinion, the universe does have a certain order to it, and the choices we are presented with in life, were destined to face us. We cannot consciously avoid these choices without having prior knowledge that we would come up for against them sometime in our future. How we respond to them however, I believe, is our own free will.

This is something that’s been on my mind for quite a while now and which may have already been discussed on here in the past, being fairly new however I thought I’d start the ball rolling by asking the whole fate or free will question again. Yes I have many thoughts on this matter(as every person seems to some to think of it). So would you say our future is all predetermined then and therefore the world obeys causality within the laws of physics? Or would you say we are in control of our own destiny and fate is just a made up fantasy or illusion used to justify or explain mistakes we made(for example, if we say we had no control over our lives either way, somehow those choices are no longer our fault, right?) I am not sure if fate came about originally as a religious concept but it is an interesting one nonetheless. Another question I would like to ask along these lines I hope someone can answer is, if you believe in fate does that mean you cannot or should not believe in free will? From my understanding of fate, I believe it can and should logically coincide with free will. So then, is it right to believe you can choose only fate or free will? Or are they mutually exclusive?

Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2007 10:42 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
OutWest

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 18th, 2007
Mana: 

Hard Q to answer. I don't think our future is pre-determined at all. However, I do believe God knows what our future is, although we have freedom to make our choices. He just knows which ones we are going to make. Something like, you know the sun is going to come up every day, but you don't make that happen.

For those who are from Vancouver; it's always sunny in the morning, at 50,000 feet

Some things are pre-ordained... I can tell a hundred stories of coincidences that have happened in my life. To say all were just at random would be hard to believe. TOOOO far-fetched to be random.

Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2007 11:58 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
meemo

Mana: 
Hmm... interesting... so how about superstition then?  Are you a believer in that??  See 'cause I could also tell you some seemingly 'random' occurances all somehow centering around the number 13 which seem to have happened to me(not sure I should disclose them all however come to think of it..hahah) 

Oooh and hey did you see or at least hear of that new movie "The Number 23'??  Well I have had similar occurances with the number 27 and have spawned many a conspiracy theory based upon that.  I mean lets start out with the supposed 'curse' behind the number... Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain, and so on, all died at that age.. then theres how the number personally relates to me... I was born on the 14th... 14+13(the 'unlucky number') = 27... I was also born at 8:06... 8+6=14, and 14+13 is ... yep you guessed it... good ol' 27:P  Should I be scared yet?!?  "I"M AFRAID!!!"  This is provoking more fright than my first viewing of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and my first sighting of an Oompa Loompa.... *hides under strategically large blanket*

Posted: Sat Apr 21st, 2007 12:51 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
meemo

Mana: 
Well where exactly does it say we can't have our hypothetical ramblings on a Calgary based chat site Dave_P??  So are you then stating Calgarians don't have the mind-set or mind power to think of anything asides from hockey and beer?!?  Please enlighten me - I really want to understand how you nucks think(or don't as the case may be!)

Posted: Sat Apr 21st, 2007 01:40 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
OutWest

Mana: 
Dave, just in case you didn't see it the first time, here it is again:

TALKCalgary-Forums>Calgary Stuff>Talk about anything ! >Fate or Free Will? 

Last edited on Sat Apr 21st, 2007 01:50 am by OutWest

Posted: Sat Apr 21st, 2007 01:49 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

NAHHH! Numbers have zip to do with how your life goes. in Calgary, there are approximately 2900 people who were born n the same day as you were. I bet some of them have awesome lives. You just need to make sure you are in that group.

Posted: Mon Apr 23rd, 2007 01:17 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
meemo

Mana: 
I agree completely.  But some may argue or suggest I am somehow reacting to or 'jinxing' this whole 13/27 phenomenon(or whatever you want to call it) with my negative energy.  The same way two positive(or negative) poles of seperate magnets will never touch, so to speak.  Like the whole "Law of Attraction" thing, but in reverse.  If that makes any sense?!?

Posted: Sat Jun 9th, 2007 01:45 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

Last edited on Sat Jun 9th, 2007 01:53 pm by OutWest

Posted: Sat Jun 9th, 2007 01:52 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

There is this commercial on TV out here in Vancouver. They are selling you a bracelet that has 'special energy fields' or some such hocus pocus. It is supposed to make your life just great. dunno how much $$. Probably YOUR for ONLY $13.95, but you have to call within the next fifteen minutes.

What makes me laugh is that there are hundreds of thousands of folks who will fall for this scam. Then there's Peter Popov, and his 'holy water.' Same scam, different method. 'Have your credit card number ready'

When I was a kid, I saw the Miracle water sales huckster at the PNE. Once one sucker bought it, the rest were stampeding to do same. (First customer was a plant)

In 50 years we haven't changed at all.

"There's a sucker born every minute"- P.T. Barnham

Current time is 11:33 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4000 seconds (77% database + 23% PHP). 31 queries executed.