TALKCalgary - Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
TALKCalgary - Forums > Calgary Stuff > General Talk > Where Are All My Soon-To-Be Fellow SAIT-sters?

You are viewing in limited guest access mode only. For full access please login or register

Where Are All My Soon-To-Be Fellow SAIT-sters?
 Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed May 16th, 2007 09:20 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Lord of Midian

Joined TALKCalgary: Sat May 5th, 2007
Mana: 
Is anyone else here starting at SAIT in Sep/07? In particular the Mechanical Engineering Technology programme?

Any tips about going for scholarships and/or the SIP (Skills Investment Program)? I'd rather avoid the whole Student Loan thing if possible (been there/done it/couldn't afford the T-shirt), as I intend to start a business with the training/C.E.T. (Certified Engineering Technologist) rating I get from this; debt-free=good thing, I should think....Thanx, mates, it's appreciated.

I wonder what they'll think of my idea for the "Cosworth DFV of the New Millenium?" Read: street version with a 90-degree crank (so it sounds like a proper V8 should), and...compression ignited! Yes, that is the future of the internal combustion engine, kiddies...think "straight vegetable oils as fuel."

Irony: The compression-ignited (Diesel) engine can run--or at least be made to run--on a whole s---pile of different fuels, many/most of which are at least partly renewable. It can run on all these...EXEPT PETROL! I just freakin' love that! (I'm sure big oil does too...)  L'ingMFAO at 'em :D:D:D:D , 'cuz their time is done, done, DONE, and I think they bloody-well know it! :dude:

Posted: Sun May 20th, 2007 12:27 am
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
OutWest

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 18th, 2007
Mana: 

Sounds like a great plan. Cummins or Cat?? I hope you get it invented, cause 1.30 at the pumps just makes me mad. I am so pee-o'd at the greedy Oil companies, I went to Sardis Wash and gassed up for 15 bucks less. The money wasn't the deal, just not letting the Greedy Canadians Oil retailers gouge me is good enough

Put gas into a diesel and you get an explosive situation, hey?

Last edited on Sun May 20th, 2007 12:38 am by OutWest

Posted: Sun May 20th, 2007 12:34 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
OutWest

Mana: 

Good luck re: S.A.I.T and if you can do it without borrowing any money; more power to ya. ... even if it means you ride a ten speed and bus it. I think the addy is 16th Ave North West, but I forget the hundred block.

You have a huge edge over the competition, as by now you ought to know what a sick engine sounds like.

I did my 4th, 3rd, and 2nd Class power Engineering from S.A.I.T. and they are an A-1 outfit

Did a gamut of Tech courses at B.C.I.T. over a ten year period too. Same setup as SAIT

Last edited on Sun May 20th, 2007 12:37 am by OutWest

Posted: Sun May 20th, 2007 02:30 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
BadGRRRL

Joined TALKCalgary: Mon May 1st, 2006
Mana: 
Hey - Good luck at SAIT - I went there many years ago ( different program) and for the most part, it was a great experience overall.  The only thing I found with the scholarship & bursary money was that most of it went to either single moms ( who do need it) or ethnic students.  As well, if you have a job, see if they offer any money to upgrade your education....you'd be surprised at what they may have to offer.  SAIT does provide a student bus pass in order to get there, and North Hill Mall frequently checks their parking lot for people parked there 'illegally', so watch for that.  I made it through there debt free with only a small bursary, so it can be done. 

Posted: Tue May 22nd, 2007 08:27 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
BadGRRRL wrote: Hey - Good luck at SAIT - I went there many years ago ( different program) and for the most part, it was a great experience overall.  The only thing I found with the scholarship & bursary money was that most of it went to either single moms ( who do need it) or ethnic students.  As well, if you have a job, see if they offer any money to upgrade your education....you'd be surprised at what they may have to offer.  SAIT does provide a student bus pass in order to get there, and North Hill Mall frequently checks their parking lot for people parked there 'illegally', so watch for that.  I made it through there debt free with only a small bursary, so it can be done. 
Thank ya, luv...will work my ass off hard, goes without saying. To which bursary do you refer specifically, and is/was it provincial or Federal gov't?

Posted: Tue May 22nd, 2007 09:03 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
Well, I could always use the excercise on the 10-speed. Public Transit in this town is....shall we say, "at-best dodgy?" "A freaking bad joke?"

Proof that the oil companies know that their sell-by date is almost upon 'em:

In the USA--like it or not, the world's most important automotive market--diesel has, for last 5 years been priced ~10-30% more than premium petrol*.  This despite, even now, diesel powered vehicles only comprising ~5-7% of the US passenger vehicle fleet, though this is growing (good!).  Also, as a former oil-patch guy, you likely  know, diesel fuel is waaaaay down on the refining scale, one of the first things out of a barrel of crude vis-a-vis petrol. This is only to discourage people from buying diesel-powered vehicles, which all else being equal, get at least 20-30% better fuel consumption than a petrol vehicle. Maybe more if you gear (read: tall) and drive the vehicle correctly to take advantage of the diesel's strengths, and don't lay the boots to it at every opportunity. (Hard to resist temptation with all that asphalt-buckling torque, but still...)

Don't know about Cat--though I will be verrrrrry surprised (and not a little disappointed) if we don't see Toyota's new >8600 lb GVW pickup with the option of the Cat, given the all two's dancin' together recently (IE: Cat sponsoring the Camry NASCAR stocker, and Toyota pickups hauling Cat heavy truck engines in their beds at various auto salons). The demand is definitely out there for this.

Cummins is apparently working on a V6 and V8 engine (based off the same block), the V8 displacing ~5.5 litres, for use in half-tonne and lighter vehicles. Unlike the ISB monster, it should fit in passenger cars just fine, and hopefully weigh less than 1100+ pounds. Picture the V8 in a new Charger R/T, with the 6-speed manual and police-spec' handling/durability-enhancement package, with ~300-325 hp, and 550 lb-ft torque. Gear to keep from overspeeding the engine (methinks ~4500 rpm +/- 250 max.) past its' powerband, and...well, can you say "rocket," mates? The Euro's have had access to just such vehicles (esp. recent BMWs and Audi's) for a loooooooong time now. They should know well: "Torque wins races, horsepower sells cars." (I misremember if it was Carroll Shelby or Smokey Yunick who said this, but it's totally true.)

My personal fave is actually the PoweStroke. Yeah, yeah, I know, I know: but the 6.0 litre's problems are quality-control related, not the engine's fault. I just love the way it just never seems to stop pulling, even through the top end, rarified territory for diesels. 'Cuz you need a broad, not just high power curve, ya know....Its' dimensional compactness makes it interesting, as potential "swap-meat" too, for a modern kinda hotrod. Unlike spark-ignited versions of same, these should pass a fuelling station or three. All that torque is again good for hauling overweight Yank-o-barges down the highway...if a 7000+ pound 3/4 tonne truck can run bottom-12s and still retain full streetability, just think what a (relatively) svelte 4000-lb musclecar could do?

*91 pump-octane is now considered "high." What's wrong with this picture???

Posted: Wed May 23rd, 2007 12:33 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

In the last 3 months CUMMINS' stock is almost a double. They got this contract to deliver diesels to Chryco. They are gonna be fine. Hold on to your Caterpillar stock if you have any. The two companies seem to pretty much own the road, save a few screamin' Jimmy's

SAIT will be a good exp; suggest go to library and bone up on technical math and physics, non-calculus physics is good enough.

Posted: Wed May 23rd, 2007 10:51 am
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
BadGRRRL

Joined TALKCalgary: Mon May 1st, 2006
Mana: 
It was one I got through work as a summer student in Saskatchewan.  I made an extra dollar an hour  -in the form of a bursary - if I stayed the whole summmer.  Make sure to check out any groups and associations that you are a part of ( Elks, rotary club etc.) they often offer scholarship money for their members or member's kids. 

Another thing to watch for is the "missed classes" that SAIT often "Forgets" to charge you for.  We thought we had paid for all of ur classes, then about a third of the way through the last semester half of the students got a bill that needed to be paid "Immediately"   The other half of the students didn't get it until later that semester, and they didn'thave to pay it because it was too late to charge them for it ( one of the instructers talked to the department) So really make sure you're being charged appropriately.  $500 bucks is alot of grocery money to be out because of their mistake. 

Posted: Wed May 23rd, 2007 07:13 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
Yeah, that sounds so typically Albertan it's not even funny...get some-/everybody else to pay for their incompetence, and regardless, it's forgotten immediately courtesy of the legions of establishment apologists and stooges....If the chosen scapegoats--er, I mean students--can't afford it, well then, they get an added bonus: The tax write-offs for the collection agencies' fees and the "bad debt!"

Being a "winner" in the Alberta game sure sounds like alot of fun...that $500.00, for me, would be earmarked as the "seed-money" for purchasing a nice, shiny, new MLA of my very own...

Posted: Thu May 24th, 2007 07:08 am
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

.................write-offs for the collection agencies'

Doggone it Midian. You might consider reading something by that new age guru Tony Robbins, or even Norman vincent Peale. You are one of these guys who has the ability to break 80 in golf, but your mind stops you from breaking bogey (90)

Your thinking makes for self imposed limitations. Forget all the political bull---t and you end up being the best diesel technician in the whole damned country. U know your way around an engine already.

Over the Top, by Zig Ziglar is a good one too. Trouble is, I am guessing you'd write him off as a rip off artist or something.

The glass really IS half full... now DRINK!!

Posted: Thu May 24th, 2007 07:50 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
Never heard of him/them, mate. I find Slayer, Motorhead, Entombed, and Ronnie James Dio (check out the three new Dio-fronted Black Sabbath songs; they're--a-hem!--Godly...) much more inspiring, have since I was age 11...

Filling half-full glasses is what vodka is for, yes? More to drink that way.

Noticing who profits and who stands to profit off institutionalised--IE thus given its' own inertia, and therefore verrrrry hard to stop--incompetence like the above-noted is not negativism, it's simple prudence, such that others--that could include you too, 'natch--know to watch out for it in future...that can't be a bad thing, now can it.

Re "tax write-offs...": That's simply stating facts. Again, how can that be a bad thing? Truth simply is what it is, Bubba. It cares little for my, your, or anyone's sensibilities.

I am smiling, dammit....

Posted: Sat May 26th, 2007 07:01 am
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

I find Slayer, Motorhead, Entombed, and Ronnie James Dio (check out the three new Dio-fronted Black Sabbath songs; they're--a-hem

I now understand why you say some of the things you say. Those guys will make you cynical and miserable. Rosie O'Donnell will just make you wanna puke

Posted: Mon Aug 13th, 2007 11:41 pm
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
kbs

Joined TALKCalgary: Mon Aug 13th, 2007
Mana: 
I'm a SAIT alum and I think it's a great school. You're going to get an education that'll guarantee you a job in this hot market. I took the Electrical Engineering Technology program and haven't looked back.

Current time is 11:34 pm

TALKCalgary - Forums > Calgary Stuff > General Talk > Where Are All My Soon-To-Be Fellow SAIT-sters?

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.0934 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 28 queries executed.