TALKCalgary - Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

You are viewing in limited guest access mode only. For full access please login or register

What the best truck?
 Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Jul 1st, 2007 04:41 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Lord of Midian

Joined TALKCalgary: Sat May 5th, 2007
Mana: 
Well, it's just me, but I wouldn't consider a full sized truck without the diesel engine (>8600 lbs GVWR)...and so, as regards those:

1st place goes to the Cummins engine: 650+ torque in from 1500 rpm, you could pull a house up the side of a mountain with this sucker...and then hook up to the mountain and take it along with you, too. It's also designed as a heavy-duty diesel--original application: Case Harvester construction equipment, and 2-5 tonne commercial grade trucks, and is built for it, so with proper maintenance you're probably looking at 1 million km longevity. MONSTROUS hot-rod/power potential too, only made better by the incredible durability.

2nd: International/Ford Powerstroke. We've all heard the horror stories about the 6.0 litre, but those are not the engine's fault, but the fault of bad quality control at Int'l/Navistar, and should be mainly sorted by now.  I've always liked this V-8 diesel--the previous generation 7.3 litre version especially--because it just never stops pulling, and unlike the Cummins, can rev. You need a broad powerband as well as a high one you know...

I lack experience of GM/Isuzu's Duramax, but I've heard near-universal praise thereof, so consider it a good'un too. My own experiences with GM vehicles in general (Garbage Mobile) don't merit the same descriptor, though, so I'll never even consider one again, with certain rare exceptions.

You'll note that in all cases, I stick to the engines, with nothing for the trucks themselves...that's cuz, in my experience, Americans build great engines--for the most part--but the vehicles themselves are invariably planned-obsolescent junk--no, it hasn't gone away--regardless of  "flavour..." And that's coming from a Mopar guy...

Posted: Fri Jul 13th, 2007 03:31 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
OutWest

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 18th, 2007
Mana: 
Stock price of Cummins Engines (CMI) has more than doubled since January. They just made a big sale to Bejing Bus company for a boatload of diesels

And that's just a drop in the bucket.

Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2007 05:21 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
Are you, by any chance, trying to broker some Cummins and/or CAT stock? So what's your cut, if so? Just curious....

Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2007 07:51 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
OutWest

Mana: 
Nope... but Cummins just climbed another 6-7 dollars in the past 3 days though. Brokerage commissions would be about 1.1%

The market and the economy fascinate me, is all

Last edited on Sat Jul 14th, 2007 07:54 pm by OutWest

Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2007 07:56 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
OutWest

Mana: 
So I get that CAT and CUMMINS are A-OK and Mopar,GM, and Ford are MIA

I agree. Cat and Cummins rule the world of equipment and engines

Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2007 07:57 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
OutWest

Mana: 
Best truck? If you are logging, they like Hayes. If a hauler, they say IHC or Kenworth. I dun' know trucks though

Posted: Mon Jul 16th, 2007 04:15 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
Kenworths and Volvo's make the best highway trucks. They're built as real driver's trucks, not just down to the lowest cost so fleet purchasing managers can buy a few more of them. IHC has some nice machines, too, but you want the higher-end models.

I have never met a Freightliner--I call them Freight-**BLEEP**ers--I've liked. They're the Chevrolets of heavy trucks. Shoddy, overpriced, over-rated junk.

Posted: Sat Aug 4th, 2007 05:30 am
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

There was a time when you could never sell me that GM makes junk

However, their car line gets killed by Toyota, Honda, Suburu, Volvo, and people are spending 15-20% more to buy the quality of the imports. Best ones beng Honda and Toyota. Chevvy's USED to be great cars, then came 1980 and the rest that followed just got worse and worse.... AND Sorry, but I like RWD 

I like the Ford 500.  Full load 28-31 thou, but I don't need AWD

I looked at a Suburu Legacy. Awesome machine. $28-29g for the stock 4 cyl 175hp..(goes 0-100 in about 8.3 sec) and the turbo does the same in 5.4 sec. For the ten grand, I will stick to the 28 thou model.

Then there's that great Solara. The Mustang is still good... but the Solara will outlive it for ages to come, although the Pony will walk away from it.

The difference? Van to Calgary there is no difference cause I am 130 on the Coquihalla and 90-100 the rest of the way... 120 East of Banff. How fast do we need to go, anyhow?

Wesjet gets me there in about an hour

Posted: Sat Aug 4th, 2007 05:34 am
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

I got a bit off-topic; sorry. 70's F-150's are good, IMO... buddy has a '76 with a warmed over 302. Nice truck. Everything works; XL series, shortbox, auto with A/C that also works

Posted: Fri Sep 28th, 2007 05:40 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
greenshoots

Joined TALKCalgary: Fri Sep 28th, 2007
Mana: 
our youngest lives in calgary just bought a new ford 150 lariat 4x4 with 5 year warrenty transmission has just gone they have aaccused him of off roading........:shock: to which he replaid yes :D thats what it was designed for :D any way do you have trading standards over there???

regards viv

Last edited on Fri Sep 28th, 2007 05:40 pm by greenshoots

Posted: Fri Sep 28th, 2007 05:56 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
phen

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Aug 22nd, 2007
Mana: 
Hi greenshoots,

I'm assuming you mean somewhere he can go to challenge their decision about his warranty?

If so you might want to start here:

http://consumerinformation.ca/app/oca/ccig/search.do?language=eng&text=Vehicle+Warranty&operator=AND&province=1,2&field=FULLTEXT&sortSpec=1&scopeCategory=types.root&searchScreen=types.root

I'm also assuming he is in Alberta. 

Best of luck!

Posted: Fri Sep 28th, 2007 07:59 pm
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
greenshoots

Joined TALKCalgary: Fri Sep 28th, 2007
Mana: 
thanx for the info just sent him a email

yes he is in alberta was talking to him about it today

regards viv

Posted: Wed May 14th, 2008 07:51 pm
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
ThinAssed Suzie

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed May 14th, 2008
Mana: 
Get a Toyota! The little Yellow Guys rock.

Suzie

Posted: Sun May 18th, 2008 01:45 pm
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
SomeGuy

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun May 18th, 2008
Mana: 
I started in my family by buying a 2002 dodge dakota, that was 3 years ago, now we have 2 2005 2500 dodge rams and a 2008 Dodge Caliber, and we are all loving them. 

Posted: Thu Dec 8th, 2011 12:21 pm
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
demon00seven
Banned

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu Dec 8th, 2011
Mana: 
I want to buy a quality truck, and need some help and guideline to make a decision in buying truck. Never had a truck before too and no experience but now I need one for business purposes.

Current time is 12:53 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1292 seconds (7% database + 93% PHP). 27 queries executed.