TALKCalgary - Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

You are viewing in limited guest access mode only. For full access please login or register

Michael Moore
 Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Jun 30th, 2007 04:10 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Dana

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu Jun 28th, 2007
Mana: 
Here’s something to think about. 

I’m sure you have come across the out spoken ramblings of Michael Moore your side of the border. Well here we are being bombarded with a multi million dollar advertising campaign promoting Mr. Moore’s latest film. 

With all the hype on this latest film I can’t help but wonder should a 400 lb man advise us on the evils of over-consumption? Should the resident of a million-dollar apartment claim to be a poster boy of the working class? Should a person who thought that Enron was a great investment, that Ralph Nader, Wesley Clark and John Kerry would win, and that North Korea's Kim Jong was changing for the better, advise us on ANYTHING?

Posted: Sun Jul 1st, 2007 04:23 am
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Lord of Midian

Joined TALKCalgary: Sat May 5th, 2007
Mana: 
When did Moore EVER advise investment in En-wrong???? Everything of his I've ever seen/read completely eviscerates EnRon, not promotes it...rightly so I might add.

Posted: Sun Jul 1st, 2007 12:05 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
OutWest

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 18th, 2007
Mana: 
Mikey lost over 35 lbs, so he is thinking right, maybe. I find him more interesting to listen to than Paris Hilton, even if he is a left wing radical. (Larry King does it again)

Posted: Sun Jul 1st, 2007 02:27 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
trailmix

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Aug 20th, 2006
Mana: 
I personally don't think they are ramblings and I don't think there is anything wrong with Michael having a multi-million dollar ad campaign or living in a million dollar apartment.

He earned his money don't you think?

Michael Moore brings us films about issues that people should be thinking about and more importantly should be doing something about.

The fact that the U.S. health system is broken is no surprise, the surprise is that  no one does anything about it. I haven't seen it yet, however I'm sure it's a good film.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say should "a 400 lb man advise us on the evils of over-consumption" - I'm assuming you have seen the film so perhaps you can enlighten us on that one.

As a side note, my Sister lives in Nebraska, we were talking about this movie the other day.  Interestingly, the town where she lives won't be showing this movie in their theatre, if they want to see it they have to travel to Omaha - which I think is a bit odd.  Their theatre basically shows non-controversial, PG rated movies mostly - strange.

Posted: Sun Jul 1st, 2007 05:12 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
meemo

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Feb 6th, 2007
Mana: 
Oh that's one of my biggest pet peeves.. i mean what about our 'freedom of speech'??!:?  This film isn't targetting the public or minority groups so why not show it???  As for Michael Moore... I really like what he gets at in his films but I think sometimes his way of presenting opinions is a little off.  For example in Bowling for Columbine he put forth the idea that the shooters acted in such a way that was out of character for them, they were intelligent kids with no prior history of violence, so he blaims the drug blue box for their behaviour which is apparantly closely related to prozac.  This is a valid statement and makes a lot of sense, however when he goes up to the office of one of these anti-depressant drug manufacturers and would not be seen, I thought placing a photo of one of the victims on the door and zooming in on it while claiming how they basically murdered these kids was more talking 'at' his audience as oppossed to allowing them to draw their own conclusions.  Now I'm a big conspiracy person in general and listen to conspiracy radio such as Coast to Coast and Radio Alchymy on a pretty regular basis.  I like the way these theories are presented in the way that the facts are given and you can choose whether or not you wish to buy into them.  It is in my opinion much more effective to present your theories and ideas in this manner as opposed to telling people what to believe as if we are all a bunch of sheeps and in turn believe anything, you know?

Posted: Mon Jul 2nd, 2007 12:06 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
I agree with you.   Some parts of his movies tend to be in your face, I don't see it so much as saying 'hey this is my opinion and it should be yours too', I see it more as dumbing down.  It irks me when people 'dumb down' ideas rather than presenting the facts and letting you draw your own conculsions.

Thankfully these truly dumbed down moments are not hugely prevelant in his movies.

Last edited on Mon Jul 2nd, 2007 12:06 am by trailmix

Posted: Sat Jul 7th, 2007 05:21 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
Just one question, funsters:

Why is it whenever anyone of the "left" makes a mainstream commercial success of doing/showing/manifesting/otherwise BEING it, The right goes after that person in full bore "character assassination" mode, while conveniently glossing over that everything they accuse people like Moore of being/doing, is:

A) typically utterly without substance,

and B) THEY ARE AND DO EVERYTHING BAD THEY ACCUSE THEIR TARGETS OF.

And no-one--with the exception of guys like Moore, who are precious few and far between--ever even blinks twice at it when it's them? Or God forbid, actually calls them on their monumental bull**BLEEP** con.  Isn't this just a little...err...well...too flagrantly hypocritical even for our society?

Clearly the English phrase "Smug, self-righteous hypocrisy" has no American/Albertan translation...But then, Westerners--with the exception of people like Moore, Al Franken, et al--just don't seem to do "irony" at all well, now do they...

Posted: Sun Jul 8th, 2007 01:21 am
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
"Smug, self-righteous hypocrisy" has no American/Albertan translation...
Why are you throwing Albertan's in with Americans and what's your beef anyway Midian?

If I am reading your post correctly you have basically just granted Michael praise and therefore you have just agreed with all the other postings, barring the original ?

Posted: Mon Jul 9th, 2007 11:28 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
I have indeed agreed with pretty much all I see here save the O.P.: Perhaps I should have posted mine as a reply to it directly...forgive the imprecision. Can't rightly comment on Sicko itself, though 'cuz I haven't seen it yet...

I'm accusing the Moore-bashers of hypocrisy, not Moore/others like him...read the rest of the sentence you've quoted, mate.

I'm lumping them (IE many, many Alta'ns and Yanks) together because all I see in this province--with notable, but precious few exeptions--is a bunch of pathetic little wannabe American Republicans getting their talking-points straight from Sean Hannity and that despicable anorexic/psychotic Coulter-thing, clearly with no individual thought whatsoever.

All the US flag-waving and mindless jingoism-parroting around here makes me **BLEEP**ing want to puke. If these people want to be Americans that bad, then who's stopping them from moving there? Not me, that's for damned sure! We all know how to get to the border, right! Oh, but then, they'd have to give up what Candada has given/continues to give them: public healthcare that at least sort-of still works, and a crime rate slightly better than most collapsing Soviet-istans--and AmeriKKKa-stan too--where just sitting to have lunch can be signing one's death warrant, and one of the world's best public education systems, and a standard of living to match, without anywhere near the taxation levels of many other countries--IE Western Europe and AustralAsia--that have a similar standard.

My beef is these people's utterly thoughtless, craven boot-licking to the AmeriKKKAn world Empire and their resultant disloyalty to Canada--it was collaborators in Alberta and Quebec who sold our country and our economic sovereignty out to the USA, IE NAFTA (one of those--Cretien--had the gall to call himself a Liberal, but he was no better than Mulroney's conservatives*)--which has given them all the above despite themselves, at taxpayer expense, 'natch.

I am a Canadian patriot: there are still a few of us left, even in Alberta, who remember a time when all Canadians, yes, even Calgarians were more and better than this...

SUPPORT CANADA OR GET THE **BLEEP** OUT. It's that simple, really....

*A name not worthy of capitalisation...should read: con(-fidence artist)servative...

Last edited on Mon Jul 9th, 2007 11:30 pm by Lord of Midian

Posted: Tue Jul 10th, 2007 02:10 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
Ok, gotcha, I'm can't say I agree with all your points, but understand where you are coming from.

It seems, from this and other posts that you are REALLY ANGRY.  Not just generally angry like a lot of Albertan's/Calgarians are.

Granted, trying to get anything changed via Government is akin to beating your head against a wall (I understand this as I am trying to get them to rebuild John Glenn's Cabin at Fish Creek and I have been at it for a year now).

That said, I think it's worth it to keep on trying, if you have a genuine beef, write to your MLA, write to the premier, get your friends to write, keep at it, eventually they will listen- I hope!

Posted: Fri Jul 13th, 2007 03:24 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
OutWest

Mana: 
Midian:

Invest 20 bucks in a bottle of Valerian root, and Chamomile tea. Sounds like you need to relax a bit

Posted: Mon Jul 16th, 2007 04:35 pm
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
Vodka works better, is cheaper, mixes with anything, and even the worst-quality stuff can't be tasted after the third drink....

I'll be able to relax without "assistance" alot more easily when, oh, about 90% of the human race is gone from this world they've ruined in their own vile, craven image.

But I have another, less bitter idea, too: a new nation, new society, based on paradigms of true enlightenment and progress by all, for the benefit of all. No, it's not communism smarty-pants....anyone interested? I'll post a new thread about it if anyone cares. I've done so already on my blog, which is open to the public, but no-one's biting over there...

Nation of Midian...L'Ignis Clandestinus

Posted: Mon Jul 16th, 2007 04:43 pm
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
Oh boy, if you only knew just how...........!!!! Actually, it's as much complete and utter disgust as anger....The proper word is "odium." I'm not in prison, and 99% of my fellow human/insects aren't dead, because I have a sense of humour, though it's bloody trying sometimes, to say the least.

I mean, come on: humans? Whose great idea was that? I should like to have words with whoever--or Whoever--thought they knew what they were doing as regards that.

Attempting to do anything vis-a-vis gov't in this province is an excercise in utter futility. That's pandemic to one-party-states everywhere. They don't care, and more to the point, they know they don't need to, and never will. 

Doesn't **BLEEP**ing ANYONE in this province think that 70+ years of con(-fidence artist)servative money/power-grubbing is enough? What is wrong with these lemmings? I've lived here since I was six, and I still don't get it...

Posted: Mon Jul 16th, 2007 05:17 pm
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
Ok, so who would you vote for if not the Conservatives - who would do a better job in your opinion?

Posted: Wed Jul 18th, 2007 11:41 pm
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
trailmix wrote:
Ok, so who would you vote for if not the Conservatives - who would do a better job in your opinion?

Easy answer:

NDP.

Ya know, the ones who set up Canada's public healthcare system--in 1947. A couple years ago, when puppet-king-(made me want to)-Ralph introduced a bill in the Alta. legislature to bump MLA salaries by something like 10%, NDP leader Brian Mason and the one other NDP MLA at the time were the only ones to vote against it.*

Whatever else you may think of them, at least they have--and more to the point stick to a few principles other than hoarding more money and power for themselves ad aeturnum...

Greens, too, for the same reason--they have something like principles--hell, scruples, even (maybe)!

*Incidentally, our all-too-loyal Liberal "opposition" supported this bid unanimously. This from the party of Kevin Taft, the guy who first--and at the time was the only one to speak out against the Klein swindle in 1993-94. Who needs convictions when conformity is so much more lucrative, eh? Especially when it's everyone else's money providing it.

Posted: Thu Jul 19th, 2007 09:37 pm
  PMQuoteReply
16th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
Well, you know the NDP might, just might, have a chance in Alberta - IF, Jack Layton moves along (I just can't take that guy seriously).

He comes off as inexperienced and 'flighty' - this does not instill confidence.

Posted: Thu Jul 19th, 2007 10:52 pm
  PMQuoteReply
17th Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
His record as a Toronto city councilman--20+ years--speaks for itself, but he does indeed lack Federal-level experience. The way he forced the last election shows that he might be developing some good instincts, though...one to watch, for sure.

The one beef I have with him is that he wants to scrap the Federal Clarity Act. That might just be our last ace-in-the-hole to keep our country even remotely independent...

Posted: Sat Aug 4th, 2007 05:13 am
  PMQuoteReply
18th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

ROFL@NDP. We had 'em in BC for 8 years. They started with a 7 billion dollar deficit, and turned it into 33 billion deficit. All this in just 8 short years!!

They flushed half a billion dollars down the tubes when they bailed ut a pulp mill (which just happened to be in an NDP riding) said mill was the most poorly managed one in all of BC.

Then they built these fast ferries which cost another half a billion. Of course they ended up giving them away. But 'what the hey' it's only taxpayers money.

30 yrs ago we voted them in too... they gave us ICBC, and chased the mining industry out of BC.  They began with a 365 million dollar surplus and in less than a year had us in debt and ICBC lost fifty million dollars in it's first year. 22 dollars for every driver in 1972

Midian would like that. No industry working anymore. Clean air, no one working. 9 per cent unemployed. Real good deal

I hope you have them for a term. You will learn that you don't know what you got 'til it's gone. They are good at killing the goose that lays the golden egg, in your case, Oil and Gas industry. They will impose taxes and more taxes. Go ahead midian, vote NDP

The NDP IS the cousin of Communism, and communism has never worked. It hates 'big business' but loves big government, and seeks to control everything and everyone

They will impose rent controls too. Good way to destroy a neighborhood. 'Greedy landlords' will not be able to raise rents. They won't be able to maintain their buildings either.

They (NDP and their adherents) will convince you that everyone in business is greedy of gain, and everyone in the government is out for your greatest good. Both are lies, the second one worse than the first

Posted: Sun Aug 5th, 2007 12:58 am
  PMQuoteReply
19th Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
Spare me the dictated-to-you conservative boilerplate, Bubba. Heard it all before, it's all weak, generic bull**BLEEP**, we all know it.

B/T/W, how does landlords in Calgary literally quadrupling--or more--the rents of lower-income working people preserve neighbourhoods? I don't think building maintenance costs that much, either, mate. Even here. If thinking that predators like this should be gut-shot and allowed to die screaming  in public for what they do to people who never did anything to them makes me a "communist" then so be it:

Thanx for the compliment, you **BLEEP**ing pathetic small-minded wannabe-American fascists!

Big Business vs. Big Gov't: Only real difference is the flavour of the dogma, but at least NDP have some **BLEEP**ing pro-human instead of pro-money principles. At this point, anything's got to be better than the slops they're feeding us...Balance; in all things balance.

I'm looking at voting Green Party in the next election, actually.

Posted: Mon Aug 6th, 2007 11:10 am
  PMQuoteReply
20th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

Your definition for anyone who doesn't buy your bull$hit, or disagrees with your leftist views:

**BLEEP**ing pathetic small-minded wannabe-American fascists!

Since you are forever pasting it, I thought I'd do the same

Posted: Mon Aug 6th, 2007 11:11 am
  PMQuoteReply
21st Post
OutWest

Mana: 

You sure you never had a job as a writer for the Georgia Strait? National Enquirer?

Posted: Tue Aug 7th, 2007 10:42 pm
  PMQuoteReply
22nd Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
OutWest wrote:  

Your definition for anyone who doesn't buy your bull$hit, or disagrees with your leftist views:

**BLEEP**ing pathetic small-minded wannabe-American fascists!

Since you are forever pasting it, I thought I'd do the same

"Bull$hit?" Please elucidate???? I certainly make no money off this.

Yanking conservative's chains is FUN, Bubba! And you accuse me of having no sense of humour! How little you know....!

Posted: Tue Aug 7th, 2007 10:46 pm
  PMQuoteReply
23rd Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
OutWest wrote:  

You sure you never had a job as a writer for the Georgia Strait? National Enquirer?

Actually, I wanted to apply for a job at The Alberta Distort--eerrrm, I mean Report--but they thought my ideology and writing style were too conservative.

Joke! Kidding! Irony! Sarcasm! (It doesn't seem like I'm the one who needs to get a sense of humour around here.)

Christ, how predictable....

Posted: Thu Aug 9th, 2007 12:10 am
  PMQuoteReply
24th Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
You still haven't answered my question, B/T/W...

I'll repeat it for ya, Bubba: how does landlords more than quadrupling the rents of people either living on fixed or low incomes, and running them out onto the streets benefit neighbourhoods?

If a building is sound and properly engineered--read: not the McMansions/Crackerboxes that are going up by the hour here--then maintaining it can't possibly cost that much, even here.

Got another question: why is it when anyone of the left calls you con(-fidence artists)servatives on your transparent bull**BLEEP**/monumental hypocrisy you go so funnily silent? Or at best, condescendingly spout a bunch of establishment platitudes that even the most dedicated right-winger knows are utterly vacuous and untrue?

Careful, Bubba: your pathological self-centredness and solipsistic shallowness is showing. Gauche, even here....there are a few of us whom, as we mature, come to realise that it's not "all about me, me, me!" and that in that mindset lies the groundwork of our impending destruction/dissolution. It also doesn't take alot of brains to see that this way of operating is completely unsustainable, and that we are the ones who will bear the brunt of its' collapse on our backs, no matter how stridently we parrot their jingo-ism and buy their overpriced flags like they tell us to.

OMG, wake the **BLEEP** up, already: YOU ARE NOTHING TO THEM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE.Once thay have your vote and obedience, they'll keep using the power you cravenly handed them to just screw you some more! DUH!!! Come on, mate, where is your pride, at least???!!! I just couldn't go through life everyday knowing that everything I do is just furthering my own enslavement to people this small-spirited, shallow, and vicious--I wouldn't be going back to school at age 34 if that was the case...

Takes brains, Bubba, but it also takes a little self-respect and pride. I'll say it again: try it--the soul you save might just be your own....

Posted: Wed Aug 15th, 2007 10:57 am
  PMQuoteReply
25th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

Show me via copied doc's where rents have been even doubled in a year anywhere in Western Canada. I think you are out of gas

Ever owned and operated a rental property? Think it's easy? Try it then see if you still wanna bitch about things

Posted: Thu Aug 16th, 2007 04:19 am
  PMQuoteReply
26th Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
OutWest wrote:  

Show me via copied doc's where rents have been even doubled in a year anywhere in Western Canada. I think you are out of gas

Ever owned and operated a rental property? Think it's easy? Try it then see if you still wanna bitch about things

Try this just for starters: Calgary Herald, 15 May 2007: "Big City Support for Rent Controls"

According to this, 92% of rental tenants and 78% of home owners wanted the Tory gov't to act on this, but they rejected it--quelle surprise, eh? Mind you, I don't know the sample size, but if a nominally right-leaning paper in as conservative a city as Calgary is dedicating this much space to this, then you know it's an "issue"...

As for specifics, try both the Herald and the Sun from approx. Feb. to May '07. They were both full of stories about this; I couldn't make up stuff this outrageous even if I wanted to. So was Global News, if I recall...

Truth is more certainly bitter, if not necessarily stranger,  than fiction, Bubba:dude:

Posted: Sun Aug 19th, 2007 10:19 pm
  PMQuoteReply
27th Post
Cutter

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 26th, 2006
Mana: 
Jason I'm with you on this one. The only people who bitch and moan about high rents are renters. 

My way of looking at this is simple. If you don’t want to pay rent then you should get of your backside, work three jobs save a deposit and buy your own home. If you can’t afford a house then buy a condo. If you can’t afford a condo buy a trailer park lot. If you can’t afford to live in Calgary then get the hell out of Cowtown.

Posted: Sun Aug 19th, 2007 10:23 pm
  PMQuoteReply
28th Post
Cutter

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 26th, 2006
Mana: 
Oh crap. Were we supposed to be talking about Michael Moore ?

Posted: Tue Aug 21st, 2007 09:41 am
  PMQuoteReply
29th Post
OutWest

Mana: 
Lord of Midian wrote: Spare me the dictated-to-you conservative boilerplate, Bubba. Heard it all before, it's all weak, generic bull**BLEEP**, we all know it.

B/T/W, how does landlords in Calgary literally quadrupling--or more--the rents of lower-income working people preserve neighbourhoods? I don't think building maintenance costs that much, either, mate. Even here. If thinking that predators like this should be gut-shot and allowed to die screaming  in public for what they do to people who never did anything to them makes me a "communist" then so be it:

Thanx for the compliment, you **BLEEP**ing pathetic small-minded wannabe-American fascists!

Big Business vs. Big Gov't: Only real difference is the flavour of the dogma, but at least NDP have some **BLEEP**ing pro-human instead of pro-money principles. At this point, anything's got to be better than the slops they're feeding us...Balance; in all things balance.

I'm looking at voting Green Party in the next election, actually.

I commend you for showing up at the polls...

Posted: Tue Aug 21st, 2007 09:46 am
  PMQuoteReply
30th Post
OutWest

Mana: 
Re: Rent controls:

Good way to discourage folks from building rental accommodations. We had them in about 1972. Rents somehow doubled in Vancouver between 71 and 74. Amazing how this works

So, if nobody is building rental accommodations, and nobody is improving their properties...AND the pop continues to grow... WHAT HAS TO HAPPEN??  and what will be the end result?? Just think this through, and you will soon see how rent controls work better than bombing, if you want to destroy a city

OOPS, sorry... WAY off-topic

Posted: Fri Dec 25th, 2015 03:19 am
  PMQuoteReply
31st Post
fifacome72

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu Dec 24th, 2015
Mana: 
The Pep Guardiola era was pretty much a one-off, but Luis Enrique saw that teams had got wise to Barça's tiki-taka and combined their short passing game with a more counter-attacking style. They deserve a lot of praise for what they've done.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
buy fifa coins
cheap fifa 16 coins

Current time is 02:00 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1962 seconds (7% database + 93% PHP). 32 queries executed.