TALKCalgary - Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
TALKCalgary - Forums > Calgary Stuff > General Talk > Alberta's Slave Labour Policies

You are viewing in limited guest access mode only. For full access please login or register

Alberta's Slave Labour Policies
 Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jul 20th, 2007 01:16 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
trailmix

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Aug 20th, 2006
Mana: 
No Alberta advantage for the average worker.  The paramedics are a rare industry and shouldn't be allowed to go on strike.  That said I hope they do get the 30% they are asking for, they deserve it.

As for employers in this city offering sub-par wages - until employees do something about that (ie: go find a job with a company that actually cares about its employees) this will not change.

All that aside, I tire of people calling Alberta a redneck province.  I am an Albertan, I am not a redneck, it's a derogatory term and it's offensive to me and I'm sure to other Albertans.

Posted: Fri Jul 20th, 2007 04:54 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
trailmix

Mana: 
Well the cowboy hat is ok, the yee haaaw thing is really just kind of silly.

Calgary is a city of western heritage, I don't mind being reminded of that, when I see the western stuff (granted a lot of it is cartoonish and corny) it reminds me of  the pioneers who settled this part of the country and I like that.

The thing is, marketers like to yeee haaa up the image.  So for instance while a lot of the stuff at the stampede is corny and unrealistic, a lot of the displays etc (like southern alberta pioneers) are great and give younger Albertan's a chance to look at how Calgary developed and who our settlers were.

Posted: Sat Jul 21st, 2007 01:12 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Lord of Midian

Joined TALKCalgary: Sat May 5th, 2007
Mana: 
Hate to break it to ya, mate, but the "Alberta Advantage" always has/is/will be for the companies, the rich, and their bought-and-paid for sock-puppets in our government. No-one else.

The rest of us have the honour of running the treadmill longer, harder, for less, till the day we die. Welcome to Canada's very own sweatshop! Enjoy the ride suckers....

Posted: Sat Jul 21st, 2007 03:47 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
Midian - why do you stay in Calgary?

Posted: Sat Jul 21st, 2007 03:51 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Puck

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Apr 25th, 2006
Mana: 
You know all my life I have been against trade unions believing that if a man was worth his salt he didn’t need to hide behind a union. Recently though I have come to the conclusion that employers across Canada are exploiting workers. Let’s face it in most sectors pay in Canada is considerably below places such as the US or Europe. For some reason we as Canadians have for years put up with this. Well perhaps now is the time to say enough is enough. I for one feel bad that in real terms due to inflation I am earning less this year that I did last year. Still I cant grumble to much since even with the inflation factor I am doing OK and the company I work for do go above and beyond in other ways to help support its workforce. Infact, even with this years poor pay hikes we must still have one of the lowest staff turnovers in Canada.

Posted: Sat Jul 21st, 2007 03:58 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Puck

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Apr 25th, 2006
Mana: 
Just for the record my wife and I own a small coffee shop downtown. We don’t make millions from our business but at least we pay our staff well and award pay rises that are at least inline with inflation. By contrast, I work for a large oil company myself who this year gave a pay rise of only 4%.

Posted: Sat Jul 21st, 2007 04:36 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Cutter

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 26th, 2006
Mana: 
Good question Trail, if his lordship is so unhappy living here why stay?

Having said that, If you check with Stats Canada you will see that the average wage in Alberta is $88,855. Which when you consider the average house price is $450,000 is appalling.                                     

If I was just finishing university and looking for my first job I guess I would be considering getting out of Canada myself. But not to the US. No amount of pay is worth living among people with the American mentality.

Posted: Sat Jul 21st, 2007 03:17 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
I actually meant that as a sincere question, I mean really if you hate the place you are living in that much, time to move elsewhere (ditto for your job).

We are actually going to move to the States next spring - just working on the immigration now.

We aren't leaving because we dislike Calgary, however we are moving to a small town in Nebraska.  We will check it out, if we like it, that's all good, if not, we will find somewhere else to live (Florida! Hawaii!)

I don't think we can glop all Americans together, it's really not fair - I mean we don't like it when our government does something completely stupid and it reflects on all of us.

Posted: Sat Jul 21st, 2007 06:21 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
I'm only staying in Calgary for 2-3 more years to complete my CET (Certified Engineering Technologist) programme at S.A.I.T. I intend to leave North America ASAP after this.

This society is craven, pathetic, and destined for faliure and dissolution.  That's not hatred, just simple observation. You'd have to be dead to not see it. You'd have to be brain-dead to not believe it...

Posted: Sat Jul 21st, 2007 06:32 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
Cutter wrote:
Good question Trail, if his lordship is so unhappy living here why stay?

Having said that, If you check with Stats Canada you will see that the average wage in Alberta is $88,855. Which when you consider the average house price is $450,000 is appalling.                                     

If I was just finishing university and looking for my first job I guess I would be considering getting out of Canada myself. But not to the US. No amount of pay is worth living among people with the American mentality.

Flip that about, mate: why is everybody else--seemingly, at least--so happy living with this swindle here? They keep swallowing it, hook, line, and sinker, EVERY **BLEEP**ING TIME.

I too tried to make it in this city, just like all the establishment tells us to, playing their rigged little game, by all their asinine and banal little rules...net result: 10 years of my life wasted, busting my ass for nothing, and, I freely admit, my outlook and attitude permanently blackened and poisoned.

I totally agree re the American mentality, b/t/w. But I find the Alberta wannabe-American mentality--and the hypocrisy (think about it) it alludes to by far the more odious and pitiful...

In my defense: you have to give a **BLEEP** to be pissed off, no? Bitterness only sets in when you come to realise there is not a damn thing that:

A) You can do

B) Anyone else is willing to do

about it. That's how I know it's time to go. New Zealand sure is lovely, don't you think?

If I'm "his Lordship," then do I get to refer to myself as "we?"

Posted: Sat Jul 21st, 2007 06:35 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
Almost $89K/annum was big money not all that long ago, even here. Now it can't even afford an average-priced house? Ex-squeeze me? Baking powder? Why are the people who actually see anything wrong with this considered "communists" "pinko's" and "**BLEEP**-disturbers?" That's right **BLEEP**ed-up and downright stooooooooooooopid even for Calgary!

Posted: Sat Jul 21st, 2007 07:20 pm
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
There are things wrong in Calgary and in Alberta in general, is it ok that a lot of people can't even afford a starter home - no.

I honestly think you are talking to the wrong people - if someone thinks that the state of the economy in Calgary is ok, well, that's stupid (in my opinion).  I don't think anyone I know thinks i'm a communist <looking around>.

If you think about it - the words 'boom' and 'hot economy' are sold to us as though they are some great thing - by the media and by corporations.

In fact there are very few people that are helped by this 'hot economy', other than corporations, some small businesses that are booming - etc etc.

For the person who is working at the same job they were 3-4 years ago who isn't getting a raise that is keeping up with inflation (and even then with housing prices the way they are - is that even a realistic raise) it's just a negative.

That said - no place is perfect, it will take time for Calgary to be a genuinely good place to live in again - it will never be as it was (which I thought was pretty good).

And yes, New Zealand is lovely.

Posted: Mon Jul 23rd, 2007 06:20 pm
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
Ace In The Hole wrote: I  think Midian has hit the nail on the head when he said “This society is craven, pathetic, and destined for failure and dissolution”.  Calgary especially has become a two tear society consisting of the obscenely rich and the working poor. Ask any economist and they will tell you this kind of environment cannot sustain itself. Instead one of two things is going to happen. Either employers will be forced to drastically increase pay scales to the semi professional and skilled sectors of the workforce, or there will be one hell of a crash in the housing market, which will result in tens of thousands of people being left with huge negative equity in their homes. Personally, I think the later scenario in more likely. 

Unlike Trail and Midian, I am not sure I want to jump ship and leave Canada just yet. But as long as Alberta based employers continue to encourage poor pay environments (AKA The Alberta Advantage)I feel I have no choice but to leave Alberta.

Well, it's happened before, hasn't it. Anyone remember the situation in 1979-81? No, it wasn't the fault of the National Energy Policy (whatever that really is/was), the rich filths' favourite scary monster to feed to us, to this day.

It is time to jump ship, simply because Canada is finished as a sovereign, independent country--guess by/for whom--and even as a halfway decent place to live. Possible exception: Montreal--I'd consider going back there, there really is no place else in North America like it. Kinda like a cross between Berlin, Paris, Amsterdam, with a bit of Medditeranian/Near-East for seasoning. Waaay cool, even with its' problems, and believe me, it has them. Cheap-cheap housing too--about half of what the avaerage is here--and the wages aren't too much lower from what I can see.

Indeed, if you actually have to work for your living, then living here is **BLEEP**ing IMPOSSIBLE. So why stay? That's really all there is to it, as far as I'm concerned.

Posted: Sat Aug 4th, 2007 04:41 am
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
OutWest

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 18th, 2007
Mana: 

People are worse in most other countries. Except in the States. they are much friendlier than we are.

Posted: Sat Aug 4th, 2007 04:44 am
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

Actually, the 'Alberta advantage' is for anyone who wants to work hard and make good things happen. Go work in the oil fields; make 100 thou a year, then bitch and whine cause houses are expensive.

Prices are high everywhere in Canada; except where nobody wants to live.

Posted: Sat Aug 4th, 2007 04:46 am
  PMQuoteReply
16th Post
OutWest

Mana: 
That's Inflation plus 2%. Better than a rollback.

Posted: Sun Aug 5th, 2007 01:12 am
  PMQuoteReply
17th Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
Said it before, I'll say it again:

If you love America so damned much, then GO MOVE THERE. Believe me, mate, I won't try to stop you.

Americans on an individual basis, I have no problem at all with, provided they respect my sensibilities--a good portion of which can be summarised as: "Keep the flags at home, and the 'U-S-A! U-S-A!' 'George Bush is my prez'dint' garbage to yourself."

It's the state known as the USA, that, frankly, **BLEEP**ing TERRIFIES me. There WILL be another world war in, maximum, 10 years because of them if something/one doesn't stop them. The last brain-damaged demagogue hellbent on world domination and genocide did NOT have enough nuclear weapons to end all life on this planet a dozen times over, alright...you know which one I mean, I trust. Bush/Cheney are no better, and no different....

I am convinced that there is no greater danger facing mankind right now than Imperial Fascist AmeriKKKa...we are almost out of time.

Posted: Mon Aug 6th, 2007 11:03 am
  PMQuoteReply
18th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

I kind of feel sorry for you, but then it changes to digust. You need to laugh more often. Good for the health. If communism is so good, then tell us why they had that wall and guards posted with orders to shoot to kill anyone who tried to bolt the wall?

Also, tell us why so many immigrate to the US if it is so rotten a country. In China you are prohibited from having two children. In Iran you are beheaded if you convert to Christ from Islam. In India, rats proliferate the streets as they are considered a sacred beast. Think we have it so bad? Look around

In Canada, and the US you can burn the flag and your biggest threat is a pi$$ed off Marine or Canadian soldier punching your lights out for doing so, but not likely you will die for it.

Posted: Mon Aug 6th, 2007 11:05 am
  PMQuoteReply
19th Post
OutWest

Mana: 
To suggest Bush is no different than Hitler is just plain ignorant... although I don't think he is the brightest light on the tree, nor am I a big fan of Cheney.

Posted: Mon Aug 6th, 2007 03:47 pm
  PMQuoteReply
20th Post
Hitman

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Aug 5th, 2007
Mana: 
Your right Bush is different than Hitler. Hitler was German. Other than that, let me think…. Hang on a minute.... Still thinking..... Nope, I guess I am going to have to come back on this one.

Posted: Mon Aug 6th, 2007 04:12 pm
  PMQuoteReply
21st Post
ragincajun

Joined TALKCalgary: Mon Aug 6th, 2007
Mana: 
Bush reminds me of Alfred E. Neuman of Mad Magazine. Hey, don't blame me, I didn't vote for him.:P

Posted: Tue Aug 7th, 2007 10:30 pm
  PMQuoteReply
22nd Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
OutWest wrote:  

I kind of feel sorry for you, but then it changes to digust. You need to laugh more often. Good for the health. If communism is so good, then tell us why they had that wall and guards posted with orders to shoot to kill anyone who tried to bolt the wall?

Also, tell us why so many immigrate to the US if it is so rotten a country. In China you are prohibited from having two children. In Iran you are beheaded if you convert to Christ from Islam. In India, rats proliferate the streets as they are considered a sacred beast. Think we have it so bad? Look around

In Canada, and the US you can burn the flag and your biggest threat is a pi$$ed off Marine or Canadian soldier punching your lights out for doing so, but not likely you will die for it.

My, my, my,  aren't we just so perfectly smug, self-righteous, and condescending in parroting the establishment line? Way to go, willing slave, way to freakin' go!

Exactly when did I advocate communism/Marxism-Leninism (not quite the same)? Never have, never will. I support freedom, which is why I stand against corporate feudalism and American world domination. That's what they used to call fascism, Bubba... 

Con(-fidence Artist)servatives in Alberta have been known to call people who espouse leftist views--even slightly leftist--"communists" as I'm sure you know. I'm just doing what the late Joe Strummer taught us: "When I get aggression, I give it two times back." Me, I've ramped it up to twenty-two times back, it suits me better...It's called: using what others mock you with to mock them...it requires a sense of humour and irony.

Maybe you should try adressing my points directly instead of just spouting generic jingo-ism? That just makes you look even more stupid than is the norm for your ilk.

I loved my once-proud nation of Canada, which makes its' willing enslavement to the USA all the more bitter. I would never even consider burning its' flag. As for the USA, there are more constructive methods of protest....Exactly how large a proportion of new US immigrants are "illegals?" Who get tacit approval to "sneak" in, so that way the US gets a ready-to-go slave class to do its' worst, lowest-paying jobs, without being subject to what few labour laws still exist there? Methinks quite a large one, from what I've seen. Many come from countries the US has ruined to begin with. Their lot really doesn't improve any. 

Disgust: rest assured it's mutual. Your ilk and everything you represent all but literally make me **BLEEP**ing want to puke, Bubba. It's getting harder and harder to laugh at your kind as I watch you parasites consume and destroy everything that made this place great, which is why I'm jumping ship in 2-3 years. You can go down with it if you like...

Oh yeah, if the US is such a beacon of hope against the horrible regimes you mention, then why have they spent the last 50-odd years supporting, financing, and propping them up?

Just one of many examples: Iran, at least, might now be a much better place if, in 1954, the CIA hadn't assassinated their democratically elected, secular president after he commited the grand crime of nationalising his country's oil reserves/production, instead of letting foreign oil companies come in and rob the place blind. After that li'l kerfuffle ended, the US-backed Shah took over, and did what all successful tyrants do: he killed off all moderate/non-violent opposition, so when the people finally had enough and revolted in the late 1970s, the only leader who was ready to step up was the friggin' Ayatollah Khomeini. So, these champions of freedom and democracy, then turn to their other puppet in the region, Saddam Hussein--whose rise to/hold on to power they backed from ~1967/68--and twist him into starting an 8-year war with Iran, which killed something like 2 million people. Oh yeah, mustn't forget how three successive US administrations left the Kurds hanging out to dry...I suspect that American schoolkids probably won't find this in their history textbooks...

...It floors me, that, in this day and age, people are still so blinkered and afraid of the power of their own will and intellect that they flock to any religion at all...try thinking for yourself OK.

Do I even need to mention China, and how they're falling all over theselves to be the worlds' sweatshop? Funny how, in the mainstream media, you never hear/see a peep about what a horrible regime China is, do you.

Just 'cuz some people still believe a myth, doesn't make it so, Bubba. I'm sure that, if you were rich, America would be a great place to live...for that heaving mass known as "the rest of us" it's a bit different...

Try thinking for yourself, OK? The soul you save might just be your own!

Posted: Tue Aug 7th, 2007 10:39 pm
  PMQuoteReply
23rd Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
ragincajun wrote: Bush reminds me of Alfred E. Neuman of Mad Magazine. Hey, don't blame me, I didn't vote for him.:P

Bush, Cheney, et al have commited crimes against humanity in Iraq and elsewhere, and belong in front of a firing squad for it. That's not just me being my pinko-liberal self, it's the **BLEEP**ing law.

Ref.: International (UN) Law as regards war crimes, wars of aggression, and the use/control/disposition of private mercenaries (IE Blackwater)...

Posted: Wed Aug 8th, 2007 01:45 am
  PMQuoteReply
24th Post
ragincajun

Joined TALKCalgary: Mon Aug 6th, 2007
Mana: 
Oh, I wouldn't consider you a pinko-liberalist by any means. You sound more like an anarchist.

Posted: Wed Aug 15th, 2007 11:02 am
  PMQuoteReply
25th Post
OutWest

Mana: 
Try thinking for yourself, OK?

Awesome. when is the last time you tried it?

OH, air sickness bags are in the pocket of the back of the seat in front of you

Do I even need to mention China, and how they're falling all over theselves to be the worlds' sweatshop? Funny how, in the mainstream media, you never hear/see a peep about what a horrible regime China is, do you.

I couldn't agree more. China is the cruelest country in the world.. after Iran, Sudan, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia... and most of the middle East

How quickly we forget Tinniman Square. We also forget Russia shooting down a passenger 747 in about '85 too.

Russia's motto: Today the North Pole, then tomorrow, Baffin Island, then..........

Last edited on Wed Aug 15th, 2007 11:07 am by OutWest

Posted: Wed Aug 15th, 2007 11:10 am
  PMQuoteReply
26th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

Yet people in the Oil Sands industry are making 100 to 200 grande a year.

Ambulance drivers and 'those guys' ARE worth $25 to 30 an hour. MORE if it is YOU who needs quick first aid. Question: Where does the money to pay them come from?

Posted: Thu Aug 16th, 2007 11:34 pm
  PMQuoteReply
27th Post
george

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu Aug 16th, 2007
Mana: 
OutWest wrote:  

Yet people in the Oil Sands industry are making 100 to 200 grande a year.

Ambulance drivers and 'those guys' ARE worth $25 to 30 an hour. MORE if it is YOU who needs quick first aid. Question: Where does the money to pay them come from?

they only make 100 to 200 grande a year because they work 60-94 hours a week

Posted: Fri Aug 17th, 2007 12:37 am
  PMQuoteReply
28th Post
Cutter

Mana: 
george wrote: OutWest wrote:

But then again they only do this for four weeks, then its home for a four week break. 4 on 4 off. $200 grand for that is not bad!

Posted: Fri Aug 17th, 2007 12:53 am
  PMQuoteReply
29th Post
george

Mana: 
Cutter wrote: george wrote: OutWest wrote:

But then again they only do this for four weeks, then its home for a four week break. 4 on 4 off. $200 grand for that is not bad!

I been working the oilfield a long time and i have never seen that schedule in alberta only when i go work over seas. i have seen 4-10's wich equals maybe $60,000 a year. 10-4 u might make 70,000 or the 24-4 schedule wich most of us work. myself i am lucky if i get 2 days off and i still dont make $200 grand a year.

i would like to add that most oilfield workers that make over 100 grande a year pay the price of giving up there life and family. The divorce rate is up around 80%

Posted: Fri Aug 17th, 2007 03:09 am
  PMQuoteReply
30th Post
Cutter

Mana: 
Well I guess that just about raps it up for that urban myth. When you put it like that, working on the rigs suddenly looses it’s appeal. :?

Posted: Tue Aug 21st, 2007 09:53 am
  PMQuoteReply
31st Post
OutWest

Mana: 
Cutter wrote: Well I guess that just about raps it up for that urban myth. When you put it like that, working on the rigs suddenly looses it’s appeal. :?

Anyone who works on the rigs has my respect. As for the big money, the folks at Suncor and Syncrude are making it and more. However, they do trade off a lot. Quality of life being the big one.

I see 80% as about the norm, for divorce rates among them born after about 1955

Over half the kids in Abbotsford have one parent, and half again never met their daddy OR are living with a second or third one. I am sad for them. Half the kids born today, are born to parents who are not married. This is not a good sign, unless you are a 'liberal thinker'

Posted: Wed Aug 22nd, 2007 12:12 am
  PMQuoteReply
32nd Post
george

Mana: 
90% of my work is with either suncor and sycrude we work union so all our wages are the same. I agree the single parent family syndrome is sad but that is the direction our society has gone down the crapper.

to make things worse most family's if they do stay together both parents need to work to pay the morgage, its not like the old days were one parent could stay home. A child in daycare etc get the crap end of the stick too these days. most parents dont have time to teach values , help with homework etc. big suprise so many kids are as messed up as they are. Personally i choose to not have kids, not in this day and age.

Posted: Sat Aug 25th, 2007 09:13 am
  PMQuoteReply
33rd Post
OutWest

Mana: 
george wrote: 90% of my work is with either suncor and sycrude we work union so all our wages are the same. I agree the single parent family syndrome is sad but that is the direction our society has gone down the crapper.

to make things worse most family's if they do stay together both parents need to work to pay the morgage, its not like the old days were one parent could stay home. A child in daycare etc get the crap end of the stick too these days. most parents dont have time to teach values , help with homework etc. big suprise so many kids are as messed up as they are. Personally i choose to not have kids, not in this day and age.

I'd rather be living n a trailer, be driving a 5 yr old Malibu, and have my wife at home with the children, than both working. Nobody needs a plasma TV, or even a BW t.v. Rather have an old upright piano, and have me and the kids playing it. Forget a computer too. Don't need one... but not bad to have one... Password the thing so the kids cannot go on-line

Don't have to have a cellphone either... We've become a bunch of walking zombies who have a cell growing off our ears.

Posted: Sat Aug 25th, 2007 09:17 am
  PMQuoteReply
34th Post
OutWest

Mana: 
Lord of Midian wrote: Said it before, I'll say it again:

If you love America so damned much, then GO MOVE THERE. Believe me, mate, I won't try to stop you.

I am convinced that there is no greater danger facing mankind right now than Imperial Fascist AmeriKKKa...we are almost out of time.

Pardon me, but who made you the boss and bully of this forum? Your head is twisted, and you are the most negative-minded bloke I have seen in a long long time.

I bet if I gave you $50 for every friend you have; at the end of the day, you are still broke and I still have all my money.

Last edited on Sat Aug 25th, 2007 09:20 am by OutWest

Current time is 12:38 pm

TALKCalgary - Forums > Calgary Stuff > General Talk > Alberta's Slave Labour Policies

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2254 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 42 queries executed.