TALKCalgary - Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
TALKCalgary - Forums > Calgary Stuff > General Talk > All This Support Our Troops Crap....

You are viewing in limited guest access mode only. For full access please login or register

All This Support Our Troops Crap....
 Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jul 25th, 2007 12:46 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Cutter

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 26th, 2006
Mana: 
Anyone agree with me that city council was right NOT to put “Support Our Troops” on city vehicles? Personally, I feel this was a half-witted idea. If we want to help our troops, then we should help them get the hell out of parts of the world they have no right in being in the first place!

Posted: Wed Jul 25th, 2007 06:08 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
trailmix

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Aug 20th, 2006
Mana: 
I agree with not putting them on city vehicles.

I have great respect for those that serve in the military, I think decals are not required - I like the idea of supporting the families of the troops instead.

Posted: Sat Jul 28th, 2007 04:08 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Lord of Midian

Joined TALKCalgary: Sat May 5th, 2007
Mana: 
I think we support our troops most who say: BRING THEM HOME R/F/N!

Can someone tell me why so many of our people have died fighting for AmeriKKKan oil companies in an imperialist (mis-)adventure that is supposed to be anathema to everything Canada has ever stood for?

Why hire private mercenaries (ref.: Blackwater USA, et al in Iraq) when lap-dog countries' soldiers are so much cheaper and easier to use--not to mention use up....eh?

No compromise, no apologies, no **BLEEP**ing forgiveness to the USA's craven lapdogs in Ottawa:

Bring our kids home, right **BLEEP**ing now.

Posted: Thu Aug 2nd, 2007 01:39 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Puck

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Apr 25th, 2006
Mana: 
OK I have to jump in on this one. Today I was stopped by the CPS downtown. Why? Because they wanted me to buy one of those damn stickers! Am I mistaken, or was it not that long ago that the CPS were crying that they didn’t have enough officers to effectively tackle city crime? Why the hell then are cops being used to sell stickers? Enough is enough, someone’s head should roll over this and personally I feel it has to be Dave Bronconnier. After all, he is the Mayor and if he can’t control his Chief of Police then the buck for this stunt should stop at his desk.

Like Trail, I have the utmost respect for our troops, but I don’t and never will support them being in parts of the world they have no right to be. Canada used to be respected worldwide for her neutrality. Now as Midian points out we are being seen as little more than lapdogs to the USA. God forbid that we ever suffer the kind of blowback that the US did for it’s foreign policy, but if we ever did could anyone say we didn’t provoke it? If we really care for our troops lets bring them home.

Posted: Thu Aug 2nd, 2007 02:29 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Dana

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu Jun 28th, 2007
Mana: 
So I guess you didn’t buy a sticker then?  Lapdogs to us yankees? Not at all Puck. We like to think of Canada as Little America :P.

Posted: Thu Aug 2nd, 2007 03:21 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Puck

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Apr 25th, 2006
Mana: 
Dana wrote: So I guess you didn’t buy a sticker then?  Lapdogs to us yankees? Not at all Puck. We like to think of Canada as Little America :P.

As a matter of fact I did buy a sticker. What would you have done? Especially if you were driving with out of date vehicle tax. But hey I didn’t use it.

Posted: Thu Aug 2nd, 2007 04:10 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Dana

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu Jun 28th, 2007
Mana: 
Lapdog! :P

Posted: Fri Aug 3rd, 2007 02:58 am
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
Cutter

Mana: 
This just about says it all. You get stopped by the cops. They miss the fact you have no tax and sell you a sticker. You on the other hand feel pressured into buying something you don’t want for fear of upsetting a cop. It’s this kind of story that leads to Calgary being called (and rightly so) a REDNECK city.

Posted: Sat Aug 4th, 2007 04:24 am
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
OutWest

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 18th, 2007
Mana: 
What a bunch of bull; this thread. Understand something:

Taliban, and AlQuida = The BAD guys

USA = The good guys.

Iran and radical Islam has vowed to destroy Israel, and then all democratic nations. I have this funny feeling we will fall like a ripe plum; if everyone in this country thinks like you folks

(Apathy sucks)

They want to kill all of us. If we withdraw all the troops; they will still have the same goal. It is called 'Death to America' and.... they will demand their right to spread their poison teachings in our shcools, under the guise of 'religious freedom'

Posted: Sat Aug 4th, 2007 04:29 am
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

I like the idea of giving the stickers away; not selling them. Gas is still $1.01/l in Vancouver. How are things on your side of the Mountains?

That's $3.49 US for a dinky little US gallon. Adjusted for the 94 cent dollar... I did this as I don't think most Americans know that our gallon is 25% bigger.

Posted: Sun Aug 5th, 2007 03:17 am
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
Cutter

Mana: 
OutWest wrote:  

I like the idea of giving the stickers away; not selling them. Gas is still $1.01/l in Vancouver. How are things on your side of the Mountains?

That's $3.49 US for a dinky little US gallon. Adjusted for the 94 cent dollar... I did this as I don't think most Americans know that our gallon is 25% bigger.

It's $1.07 as of tonight.
Yet another demonstration of the Alberta dis-advantage . We make the stuff, yet you can buy it for less.

Posted: Mon Aug 6th, 2007 10:55 am
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
OutWest

Mana: 
Not often... if it is 1.07 there, it will be 1.15 here. Long weekends always ALWAYS do the gouge...especially here. I gassed up on Wed.

Posted: Mon Aug 6th, 2007 10:55 am
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

Last edited on Mon Aug 6th, 2007 10:56 am by OutWest

Posted: Mon Aug 13th, 2007 12:08 am
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
OutWest wrote: What a bunch of bull; this thread. Understand something:

Taliban, and AlQuida = The BAD guys

USA = The good guys.

Iran and radical Islam has vowed to destroy Israel, and then all democratic nations. I have this funny feeling we will fall like a ripe plum; if everyone in this country thinks like you folks

(Apathy sucks)

They want to kill all of us. If we withdraw all the troops; they will still have the same goal. It is called 'Death to America' and.... they will demand their right to spread their poison teachings in our shcools, under the guise of 'religious freedom'

What a bunch of bull, this post. Understand something:

Taliban and Al-Qaieda: American inventions, originally to fight by proxy against the Soviet Union in Afghanistan to preserve USAs access to that region's oil.

USA: The "good" guys who propped up Saddam Hussein and the Shah of Iran, same reasons. When the Ayatollah took over Iran in 1978, USA pressured Saddam Hussein into starting an 8-year war with Iran that killed 2 million people. The Shah, during his reign killed off all moderate/non-violent opposition to his US-backed--or should I say US owned--regime, which only left the ultrs-radicals in any position to step up.

We and the USA helped destroy those civilisations, for OIL, no other reason, and are doing so now.  I think they might feel justified in not liking us very much...we've brought this on ourselves.

What tangible good has the USA given the world since 1950? Other than wars everywhere, idiotic ideologies/jingo-ism, and cheap, shoddy, **BLEEP**ty cars?

If we withdraw the troops, I think they's first have to, like rebuild their country before being any tangible threat to anyone...American-style perversions of Christianity that they're trying to put back into secular schools are just as poisonous as anything in the mid-east, Bubba...

The USA are not even close to the good guys, get real: THEY STARTED ALL OF THIS, FOR OIL. So when are you moving to Texas, Bubba? Sounds like it suits you alot better than BC...I've asked this before: you don't seem to like Canada all that much, so why are you still here?

What we're helping the American Fascists do is supposed to be anathema to everything this country's ever stood for. We were better than this once...

Posted: Wed Aug 15th, 2007 10:28 am
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

What tangible good has the USA given the world since 1950? Other than wars everywhere, idiotic ideologies/jingo-ism, and cheap, shoddy, **BLEEP**ty cars?

I don't have enough paper, but here are some starters:

Georgia, Russia in about 1988... huge earthquake.. the US went in with first aid, temp shelter, and food. Of course you will maintain that they did this for political reasons.

Earthquake in Chili in about 1990, see Georgia '88. the Tsunami in 05, who went in and helped them? Russia? Red China?

France was bankrupt in 1956. The US bailed them out. How did France repay the US? American soldiers were spit on in the streets of Paris, AFTER they were swindled by the French.

Food and care packages have gone into just every hungry nation in the world, since 1950, from the US (Russia has never sent even a bologna sandwich to anyone)

The engine in your truck is prob made by either Cat or Cummins. Your truck is prob made in the US. First heart transplant: USA. First bi-pass operation: USA, Cures for most diseases: USA (and Israel) Your telephone network and satellite communication system... ALL USA.

Kelloggs' Corn flakes, Post Raisin Bran,  Campbell's soup, and 1000 + other foods you can get for less than a dollar a meal... USA. Your micro wave: USA. refrigerator, Stove, heating system, air cond system... USA. OHV engine: USA, GPS system, USA, Automatic transmision: USA.

Name one country that has built something like the 707, 737, 747, 767. NONE, yet the US manufactures 85% of the world's goods, so yeah; it is a given they are going to pollute more.

All the best Earth-moving equipment in the world, USA... most of the road building machinery in the world: USA. U name it, they make it. Nobody else can build a hydroelectric dam better than the US, that's why they get the contracts.

Name one thing, JUST ONE thing that your beloved communist countries have given this world... Human misery doesn't count

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Midian, no offence, but it is very difficult to have any kind of meaningful discusion with you. Stinkin' thinkin' ... ya know?

...and I am well-informed re: Taliban and AlQuida... apparently you aren't. You have chosen to be Pro-Red, and Anti-American, and the sick part of it is you are brainwashed.

That's all I have for you... over and out

Last edited on Wed Aug 15th, 2007 10:51 am by OutWest

Posted: Wed Aug 15th, 2007 10:49 am
  PMQuoteReply
16th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

If they wanted to get the US out of Iraq, all they need to do is let them help establish a democracy.. and a stable government... and the US will leave.

Meanwhile your Alquida buddies are teaching children to be suicide bombers, and are busy wiring up more car bombs to kill more innocent people

..and there is more oil in Alberta than in Iraq. SO guess again re: all over the oil. If it was oil they needed and they are as vicious as you say, they'd invade Mexico and take over their oil wells. Much cheaper and easier than Iraq

Last edited on Wed Aug 15th, 2007 10:54 am by OutWest

Posted: Wed Aug 15th, 2007 11:12 pm
  PMQuoteReply
17th Post
Cutter

Mana: 
Have you considered that perhaps they don’t want western democracy? What gives the US the right to force western values on the rest of the world? 

I agree that the US has contributed much to the world. The problem is that America thinks it is the world. The bottom line is this; the USA has no place in Iraq. What goes on outside of America has **BLEEP** all to do with America.

Posted: Thu Aug 16th, 2007 05:38 am
  PMQuoteReply
18th Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
OutWest wrote:  

Georgia, Russia in about 1988... huge earthquake.. the US went in with first aid, temp shelter, and food. Of course you will maintain that they did this for political reasons.

Earthquake in Chili in about 1990, see Georgia '88. the Tsunami in 05, who went in and helped them? Russia? Red China?

France was bankrupt in 1956. The US bailed them out. How did France repay the US? American soldiers were spit on in the streets of Paris, AFTER they were swindled by the French.

Food and care packages have gone into just every hungry nation in the world, since 1950, from the US (Russia has never sent even a bologna sandwich to anyone)

The engine in your truck is prob made by either Cat or Cummins. Your truck is prob made in the US. First heart transplant: USA. First bi-pass operation: USA, Cures for most diseases: USA (and Israel) Your telephone network and satellite communication system... ALL USA.

Kelloggs' Corn flakes, Post Raisin Bran,  Campbell's soup, and 1000 + other foods you can get for less than a dollar a meal... USA. Your micro wave: USA. refrigerator, Stove, heating system, air cond system... USA. OHV engine: USA, GPS system, USA, Automatic transmision: USA.

Name one country that has built something like the 707, 737, 747, 767. NONE, yet the US manufactures 85% of the world's goods, so yeah; it is a given they are going to pollute more.

All the best Earth-moving equipment in the world, USA... most of the road building machinery in the world: USA. U name it, they make it. Nobody else can build a hydroelectric dam better than the US, that's why they get the contracts.

Name one thing, JUST ONE thing that your beloved communist countries have given this world... Human misery doesn't count

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Midian, no offence, but it is very difficult to have any kind of meaningful discusion with you. Stinkin' thinkin' ... ya know?

...and I am well-informed re: Taliban and AlQuida... apparently you aren't. You have chosen to be Pro-Red, and Anti-American, and the sick part of it is you are brainwashed.

Why, oh why, do you ALWAYS imply that I support, or ever have supported ANY communist regime ANYWHERE? This is simply not so, Bubba, quite the opposite, actually.

All the natural disasters you mention, among many others: Yes the US did...guess what, Bubba: So did a great many other countries...including little ole' Cuba, whom, I should think, could ill-afford to do so, given their economic troubles of late.

What about the natural disaster in New Orleans, where FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) did almost nothing for the vast majority of the people who lived there--who just happened to be black? Funny thing: Cuba has a disaster relief team that is widely considered to be one of the world's best--they get hit with hurricanes all the time, and have alot less resources to spare--and they offered to send them in to help. Uncle Scam rejected the offer, after the team had sat at Havana Airport for days waiting for a response...a little food for thought, innit, Bubba.

Over one third of all France's foreign investment is in the USA...I should think that brings in a pretty penny. There almost certainly wouldn't have been an America without the French, Bubba: At least half the people who fought in the Revolutionary War were French, not colonials, because France was looking for any way it could to get their then-archenemy, the British...had this not happened, then there is no way the colonials could have mustered the sheer numbers needed to pull off their little dust-up.

Like the USA doesn't swindle its' financial "partners?" Get real. Cases in point: Canada and Mexico.

Almost every nominal material good in our society: built in China  by people who are slaving away for less than $1/day for AMERICAN corporations, that China invited in for its' cut of the profits. So much for standing against the dreaded Red Devils...

How 'bout the Concorde? Joint British/French designed and built. Airbus: French. Cummins and Cat--and everyone else--have plants in Europe and all over the world, building the engines--and/or whatever else, and engineering them for the needs of their local markets...so while head office may be in USA, all the work for those markets as well a R&D is done locally of necessity...you don't see many American SUVs in Europe for instance, simply because they would never work over there. All the Detroit manufacturers have home-run and home-grown divisions in those and other markets for this very reason Bubba...so while they may "render unto Caesar..." come cash-out time, they are, in all effective terms, local companies and manufacturers.

Oh yeah, while we're talking aircraft, what about the CF-105 Avro Arrow? COMPLETELY home-grown Canadian, and it was only 15 years ahead of it's time because of the limits of mid-1950s computer technology. We did that with zero outside help from anyone, and our then-PM (Diefenbaker) sold it out to Yankee, along with all the engineers who worked on it. If you're looking to pin the start of the long whoring/sell-out/betrayal of Canada to the USA on a single event, this is probably it...

Wanna see some good equipment--check out England's JCB, or Germany's Daimler-Benz AG (yes, them) among maaaaaaannny others all over "The Continent" and UK. I don't imply that they are necessarily better then US-made stuff, but from what I've seen, they can more than hold their own, generally with much better build-quality and longevity.

Indeed, all the trucks I drove in my illustrious non-career were US-built: And they were cheap, disposable, shoddy, tinny GARBAGE. Believe me Bubba, once you have to live in a vehicle for weeks on end on the road, you quickly learn to distinguish quality stuff...the Kenworths are/were the only real, quality,  driver's trucks I ever drove...that's one manufacturer out of how many? The Euro-built Volvos* and Macks (owned by Volvo) were almost always much better... 

*(Volvo the car manufacturer is now owned by Ford. Volvo Heavy Truck and Equipment, however,  is a still Swedish-owned independent entity.)

Germany: inventor of the diesel engine, and the high-speed freeway. Einstein was a German Jew...

Britain: inventor of the steam engine, and the transport train; a Briton invented the jet engine too. They also invented the sports car as most people define it...I mean, for that last alone...! They also have a sense of self-deprecation, self-irony, and are THE masters of razor wit and merciless satire. These are arguably their most important contributions to mankind.

Germany: First motor car on the road, too, and inventor of the combustion engine.

I'm Brainwashed:

This from somebody whose knee-jerk conservatism starts and ends with "USA=the good guys" and justifies homophobia by the hypocritical scratchings in a 2000+ year old book that has almost no relevance today.

This from a guy who automatically assumes I support communism just because my political/social leanings are to the left of...errrm, well...his own. If I supported communism, mate, I certainly wouldn't **BLEEP**ing hide it. It's called pride, self-respect, and sincerity of conviction. That latter comes once you learn to draw your own conclusions, and not have your views **BLEEP**ing dictated to you. That's why I can NEVER support the USA, OR Red China, OR Taliban, OR any other regime of any kind that gets where it has/what it has through the ruthless exploitation of its' own people, and/or that supports any regime that does. EVER. Is that clear enough, even for you, mate?

All-**BLEEP**ing-righty then, let's talk about America exporting misery: Nicaragua, Panama, Chile, Vietnam, half of Africa, the active genocide of the US Aboriginal nations--well, OK, that's not an "export," but still--Honduras, Mexico, The Phillipines, IRAQ, TWICE, Afghanistan, all the middle-East dictatorships they've been propping up since the mid 1950s for oil, and all the sweatshops they've built in--sublime irony of ironies--many former and current communist countries (IE China and Vietnam to name just two), in exchange for those countries getting their cut of the profits.

I've adressed these points many times, mate, but you never seem to; your responses often  just kinda--in the words of Marx (Groucho): "We'll just pass over that...."

It seems clear that there is just no getting through to your ilk no matter what anyone says or does, or how flagrant the evidence that you people are basing your beliefs on other people's lies, for those people's profit, at your expense.

What have they done for YOU lately...? B/T/W Cutter is absolutely right...

Posted: Thu Aug 16th, 2007 05:53 pm
  PMQuoteReply
19th Post
ragincajun

Joined TALKCalgary: Mon Aug 6th, 2007
Mana: 
Lord of Midian wrote:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f8" 

A lot of those cheap, shoddy, **BLEEP**ty, American cars are actually manufactured in Canada. Mine was.

Posted: Thu Aug 16th, 2007 11:10 pm
  PMQuoteReply
20th Post
Lord of Midian

Mana: 
ragincajun wrote: Lord of Midian wrote:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f8" 

A lot of those cheap, shoddy, **BLEEP**ty, American cars are actually manufactured in Canada. Mine was.

As were some of mine. Unlike Europe, the UK, Australia, and Brasil--all countries which have divisions of the US manufacturers based in them, Canadian-built cars are not designed and engineered in Canada, thanks to Canada's highest aspiration of being the USA's branch-plant/strip-mine/ha'penny whore. All the wonderful planned obsolescence, don't-give-a-f--k/just-throw-em-together-and-get-em-out-the-door-ASAP paradigms make the transition completely unscathed. Just ask me how I know! It's why, now that I've sold my 1978 Dodge Magnum XE--built in Chrysler's Windsor, ON plant b/t/w--that I've basically given up on American vehicles, with certain exceptions.

I'll cite Holden--GM of Australia, home-grown/home-run--as a counterpoint because you/we actually had one of them here from 2004-2006. The "Pontiac GTO" of those years is actually a Holden Monaro coupe, a model that's been in production down there in one form or another for almost 40 years, converted to left-hand drive and re-badged. Take a good look at the materials, switchgear, panel gaps--and pretty much everything else--and you will find it's worlds better than almost any GM N/A product, with the possible exception of recent Cadillacs--they use the same basic chassis and powertrain layout.

Also, try European and English Fords*--Ford is "the marque of the masses" over there the way GM--or maybe I should say now Toyota and Honda!--is/are here. You get way more models in waaaay more choices of spec' for each, and in the Euro/British car mags I read, I've almost NEVER seen complaints about quality--and yes, that includes the long-term tests too, smarty-pants!

Because, in those markets, they know they would never last if they just fobbed off another SUV swine-mobile on the public that gets 10 miles per Imperial gallon--where fuel now costs at least ~ $1.50/litre--and falls apart at ~200,000 km. They don't just build quality vehicles, they give the public what it wants, because that's the only thing that works over there...this is done by having local people design and engineer the vehicles, as well as build them, for the needs/desires of the local market. 

Not like here, where lemmings keep mindlessly lining up to buy whatever crap the TV says they should--or maybe not: There are two reasons why Toyota has just eclipsed GM in sales:

1) They. Make. Better. Freaking. Cars.

but, equally important:

2) They make the kinds of vehicles that people actually want to buy.

And sure enough, the US manufacturer's overseas operations, based of necessity around the above pardigms, are steaming right along, have been for years, unlike their NA home-market counterparts.

That's the difference between good home-grown/home-market oriented engineering and design--over there--versus a bunch of meat-droids doing "insert Tab A into Slot B" rote assembly of someone else's garbage, like we got here, thanks to American collaborators in Ottawa betraying our country's economic independence at the drop of a hat.

*I sooooo want a 1986-1992 Euro. Ford Sierra RS Cosworth, I can taste it! Consider: 0-100 kph (62 mph) in under 6.5 secs, top speed approaching 240 kph, with handling and braking to match--all from a 2.0 litre turbo 4-popper! Which means it'll pass a petrol station or three, also...and that was 20 years ago...Today: same paradigm plus 2 decades of technological evolution, esp. vis-a-vis the rise of the high-performance diesel engine.  Compare that to the fact that the average North American-built vehicle now gets ~20% less actual miles per gallon than it did 20 years ago. Food for thought, eh?

Posted: Fri Aug 17th, 2007 03:04 am
  PMQuoteReply
21st Post
trailmix

Mana: 
As an aside, how did we get from the support our troops topic to cars?

This is just a suggestion, but don't you think it would be beneficial to this board if when we decide to go off to a side topic we start a new thread? 

We seem to get in this rut where about 5 people are posting and anyone popping in to look at this forum may not realize that we have more than 4 topics (probably the reason why we don't get more posters).

Anyway, just a thought.

Posted: Tue Aug 21st, 2007 10:00 am
  PMQuoteReply
22nd Post
OutWest

Mana: 
TRAILMIX 

You must be a pretty good teacher, as you seem to have the knack of 'sticking to the lesson plan' (similarly, 'on-topic')

I believe most of us baby boomers are guilty of off-topic a lot. Not many of us are comp smart.. and more-so, we are not forum smart..

for eg: I just figured out what the quote button did. Pretty shrewd, hey? I mean, I did it all on my own. My nieces and nephews will be so proud

Last edited on Tue Aug 21st, 2007 10:01 am by OutWest

Posted: Tue Aug 21st, 2007 10:21 am
  PMQuoteReply
23rd Post
OutWest

Mana: 
Lord of Midian wrote: OutWest wrote:  

Why, oh why, do you ALWAYS imply that I support, or ever have supported ANY communist regime ANYWHERE? This is simply not so, Bubba, quite the opposite, actually.
Sorry if it looks that way.. I just have a strong dislike of the hatred towards the US, so yeah, you get knee-jerk from me a lot.

All the natural disasters you mention, among many others: Yes the US did...guess what, Bubba: So did a great many other countries...including little ole' Cuba, whom, I should think, could ill-afford to do so, given their economic troubles of late.

1.What about the natural disaster in New Orleans, where FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) did almost nothing for the vast majority of the people who lived there--who just happened to be black? Funny thing: Cuba has a disaster relief team that is widely considered to be one of the world's best--they get hit with hurricanes all the time, and have alot less resources to spare--and they offered to send them in to help. Uncle Scam rejected the offer, after the team had sat at Havana Airport for days waiting for a response...a little food for thought, innit, Bubba. 
     Yep, good food for thought.. all because Castro took Cuba by force about 50 yrs ago. Makes not much sense to me either1.Yeah, who went and helped them out with that?

Over one third of all France's foreign investment is in the USA...I should think that brings in a pretty penny. There almost certainly wouldn't have been an America without the French, Bubba: At least half the people who fought in the Revolutionary War were French, not colonials, because France was looking for any way it could to get their then-archenemy, the British...had this not happened, then there is no way the colonials could have mustered the sheer numbers needed to pull off their little dust-up.

Like the USA doesn't swindle its' financial "partners?" Get real. Cases in point: Canada and Mexico.
Canada swindled Canada in the NAFTA deal. I hated the concept from the get-go
Almost every nominal material good in our society: built in China  by people who are slaving away for less than $1/day for AMERICAN corporations, that China invited in for its' cut of the profits. So much for standing against the dreaded Red Devils...

How 'bout the Concorde? Joint British/French designed and built. Airbus: French. Cummins and Cat--and everyone else--have plants in Europe and all over the world, building the engines--and/or whatever else, and engineering them for the needs of their local markets...so while head office may be in USA, all the work for those markets as well a R&D is done locally of necessity...you don't see many American SUVs in Europe for instance, simply because they would never work over there. All the Detroit manufacturers have home-run and home-grown divisions in those and other markets for this very reason Bubba...so while they may "render unto Caesar..." come cash-out time, they are, in all effective terms, local companies and manufacturers.

Oh yeah, while we're talking aircraft, what about the CF-105 Avro Arrow? COMPLETELY home-grown Canadian, and it was only 15 years ahead of it's time because of the limits of mid-1950s computer technology. We did that with zero outside help from anyone, and our then-PM (Diefenbaker) sold it out to Yankee, along with all the engineers who worked on it. If you're looking to pin the start of the long whoring/sell-out/betrayal of Canada to the USA on a single event, this is probably it...
Dief was an idiot. . . and you are right, that was the beginning of woes

Wanna see some good equipment--check out England's JCB, or Germany's Daimler-Benz AG (yes, them) among maaaaaaannny others all over "The Continent" and UK. I don't imply that they are necessarily better then US-made stuff, but from what I've seen, they can more than hold their own, generally with much better build-quality and longevity.

Indeed, all the trucks I drove in my illustrious non-career were US-built: And they were cheap, disposable, shoddy, tinny GARBAGE. Believe me Bubba, once you have to live in a vehicle for weeks on end on the road, you quickly learn to distinguish quality stuff...the Kenworths are/were the only real, quality,  driver's trucks I ever drove...that's one manufacturer out of how many? The Euro-built Volvos* and Macks (owned by Volvo) were almost always much better... 

*(Volvo the car manufacturer is now owned by Ford. Volvo Heavy Truck and Equipment, however,  is a still Swedish-owned independent entity.)

Germany: inventor of the diesel engine, and the high-speed freeway. Einstein was a German Jew...

Britain: inventor of the steam engine, and the transport train; a Briton invented the jet engine too. They also invented the sports car as most people define it...I mean, for that last alone...! They also have a sense of self-deprecation, self-irony, and are THE masters of razor wit and merciless satire. These are arguably their most important contributions to mankind.

Germany: First motor car on the road, too, and inventor of the combustion engine.

I'm Brainwashed:

This from somebody whose knee-jerk conservatism starts and ends with "USA=the good guys" and justifies homophobia by the hypocritical scratchings in a 2000+ year old book that has almost no relevance today.
Homophobia? If you are ok with the concept of a man inserting his__ into another man's mouth or ___, then you are entitled to your opinion. Please don't teach my grand children that this is acceptable in God's sightThis 2000 year old book is not just a book, but the Word of God. It is God's life lessons to this world. A world that has rejected him. It's principles actually work. Man's humanistic principles only take us down the road to destruction.  History proves this out

This from a guy who automatically assumes I support communism just because my political/social leanings are to the left of...errrm, well...his own. If I supported communism, mate, I certainly wouldn't **BLEEP**ing hide it. It's called pride, self-respect, and sincerity of conviction. That latter comes once you learn to draw your own conclusions, and not have your views **BLEEP**ing dictated to you. That's why I can NEVER support the USA, OR Red China, OR Taliban, OR any other regime of any kind that gets where it has/what it has through the ruthless exploitation of its' own people, and/or that supports any regime that does. EVER. Is that clear enough, even for you, mate?You are sounding hostile here, bub

All-**BLEEP**ing-righty then, let's talk about America exporting misery: Nicaragua, Panama, Chile, Vietnam, half of Africa, the active genocide of the US Aboriginal nations--well, OK, that's not an "export," but still--Honduras, Mexico, The Phillipines, IRAQ, TWICE, Afghanistan, all the middle-East dictatorships they've been propping up since the mid 1950s for oil, and all the sweatshops they've built in--sublime irony of ironies--many former and current communist countries (IE China and Vietnam to name just two), in exchange for those countries getting their cut of the profits.

I've adressed these points many times, mate, but you never seem to; your responses often  just kinda--in the words of Marx (Groucho): "We'll just pass over that...."

It seems clear that there is just no getting through to your ilk no matter what anyone says or does, or how flagrant the evidence that you people are basing your beliefs on other people's lies, for those people's profit, at your expense.

What have they done for YOU lately...? B/T/W Cutter is absolutely right...
True, we aren't getting through to each-other. You seem to be on a crusade... and if you think I am opinionated... *ahem!* read your own blogs first
Finally, I don't expect anyone to DO anything for me. My jollies come from doing for others

Last edited on Tue Aug 21st, 2007 10:28 am by OutWest

Posted: Tue Aug 21st, 2007 01:28 pm
  PMQuoteReply
24th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
OutWest wrote: TRAILMIX 

You must be a pretty good teacher, as you seem to have the knack of 'sticking to the lesson plan' (similarly, 'on-topic')

I believe most of us baby boomers are guilty of off-topic a lot. Not many of us are comp smart.. and more-so, we are not forum smart..

for eg: I just figured out what the quote button did. Pretty shrewd, hey? I mean, I did it all on my own. My nieces and nephews will be so proud

Actually I'm not a very good teacher at all - lack the patience quotient.

Don't get me wrong, I like a rambling good discussion as much as the next person, I find it interesting when the conversation takes a turn - however - my real point was that I know there are many people who visit this board, but very few seem to post very often.

I was just thinking that if we started more new threads maybe some of them would find the topic interesting and join in.  Maybe we can do both - ramble and start more new topics (I would start more I just never can think of a good one to start).

Glad to see you found the quote button, just so you know you can edit the text that is quoted as well, for instance......if you are quoting someone who has written 50 lines, you can delete the excess that doesn't apply to your reply, for clarity, if you want to.

As for duplicate posts (when you hit the send button more than once because it is just hanging there) - my trick is I open another window and go to the thread to see if the post has appeared.  9 times out of 10 it's already posted, so I just close the hanging window.

Posted: Sat Aug 25th, 2007 08:47 am
  PMQuoteReply
25th Post
OutWest

Mana: 
Hanging windows. I will remember that little trick.

SUMMER'S almost GONE!!

Current time is 12:52 pm

TALKCalgary - Forums > Calgary Stuff > General Talk > All This Support Our Troops Crap....

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2051 seconds (7% database + 93% PHP). 39 queries executed.