TALKCalgary - Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
TALKCalgary - Forums > Calgary Stuff > General Talk > It’s extortion to demand tips for doing one’s regular job

You are viewing in limited guest access mode only. For full access please login or register

It’s extortion to demand tips for doing one’s regular job
 Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Aug 11th, 2007 06:26 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
Ace in The Hole

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Aug 5th, 2007
Mana: 
I think this may have been discussed before by cutter or midian, but I cant find the post.

Anyway, my beef is this. I am fedup with “servers” who believe they are privileged and somehow entitled to two sources of income for the same employment. Unless they receive a tip for doing their job, they bitch and work to rule because the employer encourages this behaviour for his own self-serving gain.

Who out there could truly believe it is our duty to subsidize the lifestyles of these servers or compensate them because they work for cheap, greedy bosses who believe they have a lifetime licence to remain cheap and greedy?

The tipping “prompts” on bank machines and bills are pure extortion to make the customer feel guilty about not being a second employer.

What are the extra services provided by bartenders that aren’t included in their job description?

We are told “hotel cleaning staff should be left money if they take the time to ensure the guest has a clean and comfortable stay, especially if the guest is staying in the room for multiple nights.” Isn’t that called their “job?”

Posted: Sun Aug 12th, 2007 07:13 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Cutter

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 26th, 2006
Mana: 
Ace in The Hole wrote: I think this may have been discussed before by cutter or midian, but I cant find the post....

Ace it was me sometime ago.

Like you, I am getting more and more frustrated with the whole tipping issue everytime we go out. If you aren't happy with your wage, get a new job. If all you can do are minimum wage jobs, think about long term solutions. Thousands and thousands went rags to riches IF you really want to.

If the job pays minimum wage, there's a reason...unskilled, generic work. I already pay for the goods I receive (ie food at a restaurant) and now I'm EXPECTED to pay to have someone simply take my order, come back once or twice if you're lucky to say "how is everything" and not know what to do if you say NO ITS NOT ACTUALLY, then hand you your bill. And this deserves extra compensation because? That's your job to take and bring customers there orders. It's a task worth minimum wage.

You drive me in a cab and expect a tip? You're a doorman and someone asks you for advice and now you want extra compensation for simply talking? YOU OPEN DOORS!

If you're a person that serves someone once, that drives someone once to an airport, that opens the door or dispenses advice once...don't expect anything, you're just doing your job. NOW if you're a regular patron of an eatery, live in the building with a doorman, use a car service reguarily, THEN there is reason to reward constant/long term good service with a tip throughout the year because you actually have built a relationship.

Save your casual aquantance tips and give larger ones to your relationship servers!

Where does tipping stop? with what job? at what salary level? who sets the "acceptable" amount?

Posted: Sun Aug 12th, 2007 11:06 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Sue-B

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Aug 5th, 2007
Mana: 
My hairdresser charges 40.00 for 30 min to cute my hair. I don't make 80.00 hr and I know that an ounce of shampoo doesn't cost 80.00 so why should I tip too?

I think that years back hairdressers charged so little for thier services that tipping was appropriate. But now, I am lucky if I can afford the haircut.

I am a nurse, no one tips me for my service - enemas, vomit, bedpans etc.

As for the people who work for poor wages, asking for tips is little more than begging. As long as the practice continues the employers will continue to pay poor wages and get away with it. I stopped tipping years ago. If I have good service I inform the managment and recommend that they reward their staff for doing the job that they are paying them for. Not s
urprisingly, the reply I often get is “Other people leave tips. Why should we have to reward them?”

Last edited on Sun Aug 12th, 2007 11:11 pm by Sue-B

Posted: Mon Aug 13th, 2007 02:29 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Dana

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu Jun 28th, 2007
Mana: 
I think people saying that waiters and waitresses shouldn't expect tips unless they give perfect service should have their pay docked every time they have a bad day or are overworked so can't do as good a job. That's right, overworked. Sometimes the reason you may recieve less than perfect service is because the person serving has a double station due to understaffing.

Waiters and waitresses do NOT make minimum wage. They make LESS than minimum wage based on the fact that customers are expected to tip. The tip therefore is part of their basic salary, not an extra.

I agree this system is wrong, but that’s the way the service industry is. The more people tip the less service sector employees get paid. And the less they get paid the more they depend on tips.

Posted: Mon Aug 13th, 2007 02:45 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Cutter

Mana: 
I wish I could open a business, take on staff then pay them almost nothing in the hope that my customers would pay my staff for me.

Posted: Sun Aug 26th, 2007 08:13 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Canada4Life

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Aug 26th, 2007
Mana: 
I'm also of the opinion that tips should not be expected. If I receive good service, and I feel like giving a tip, then I will. I shouldn't be expected to give a tip to supplement someone's income, and I most certianly should not be asked directly for a tip via the debit machine or any other way.

If you have a cheap employer that pays you less than minimum wage in anticipation that you will receive tips then you should find another job. That practice is illegal in the provice of Alberta.

Posted: Sun Aug 26th, 2007 04:16 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Cutter

Mana: 
That’s interesting, are you saying that it is illegal to ask for tips (i.e. as requested by debit card machines etc) in Alberta? If so, why is nothing being done about this practice which amounts to little more than harassment?  Like you, I am sick and tired of supplementing the wages of cheap employers. 

We are always being told that it is wrong to give money to panhandlers because it perpetuates the problem. By providing tips to service staff only enables employers to cheap out on paying wages knowing that some other sucker is going to pick up the tab for them.

Posted: Sun Aug 26th, 2007 10:19 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
trailmix

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Aug 20th, 2006
Mana: 
She's saying it's illegal to pay less than the minimum wage by adding tips on to top up to the minimum wage (I don't know if it is true or not, just clarifying).

Anyway, I agree.  Pay the staff a decent wage, figure that in to your cost of doing business, put that price on the menu then I will decide whether or not it is worth my money to come in to your establishment to eat.

It's a huge scam, nothing more nothing less.

Posted: Mon Aug 27th, 2007 04:16 am
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
george

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu Aug 16th, 2007
Mana: 
reading this thread my whole outlook has changed. i look at the woman serving me in scad sexy clothing and the sevice is crap! I no longer tip i feel it is wrong i dont get tipped at my work, so why should others?

i will pay well if food, drinks and sevice is great, otherwise get bent. should they biotch and complain i will make the hugest stink any establishment has ever seen.

Posted: Tue Oct 2nd, 2007 04:08 am
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
sweetymuffin

Joined TALKCalgary: Mon Oct 1st, 2007
Mana: 
I think we can all agree that we DO live in a tipping culture whether any of you like it or not, and it seems pretty damn unlikey to change anytime soon. So why would you want to make the poor server suffer because you don't like the system? I'm a server and a student, and I work long hard hours, some days I do well financially, and some I don't, but overall it's a lot more lucrative than working retail or some other crap like that.

I think a lot of non-tippers don't realize that on top of hurting us financially, you down right hurt our feelings. Like I said, whether you like it or not, tipping IS expected now a days, and when I get "stiffed" I am personally offended. I definitley don't expect people to tip if they have bad service, and I myself have had service in restaurants that I didn't think deserved a tip. But when I KNOW I gave someone good service, they sing my praises and then they cant throw a couple bucks my way... come on! It's not MY fault that the system is skewed!

So if the $$$ is your bottom line, then stay home and throw a swanson dinner in the microwave, you wont have to tip, and you wont ruin my night either!

Ps. we servers have photographic memories, if you dont tip we will remember you... and someday I might be your doctor... just a thought

Posted: Tue Oct 2nd, 2007 10:20 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
trailmix

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Aug 20th, 2006
Mana: 
I agree, the server of the food shouldn't suffer because the system is wrong.

Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2007 04:40 am
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
Cutter

Mana: 
I think you raise some interesting points. However, I can’t help but feel the whole tipping culture has gotten way out of control. For example, if I receive good service and decide to leave a tip for the server that is one thing but let’s face it, chances are that the server only receives a portion of what I leave anyway. Instead some sleazy manager is going to take a chunk of any tip I leave for himself. 

Another thing which is wrong with tipping is the fact that it is based on the value of the meal. This means that a server at Denny’s for example would receive a far smaller tip than a server at some upscale restaurant, even though they may have provided the same level of service.

Posted: Wed Nov 28th, 2007 06:52 pm
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
immigrantworker

Joined TALKCalgary: Sat Oct 27th, 2007
Mana: 
I do not tip. If we all stop tips, things will change. If you still tip you are the problem.

You can say I should stay home, and some night it is nice to be in home, but I am ok to go out if I want to. Being Chinese, nobody remembers my face in this town :)

When you start tipping me for being an engineer and stopping that bridge from collapsing, I start pay you for carrying drinks 20 feet.

Posted: Fri Dec 7th, 2007 02:03 am
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
Cutter

Mana: 
Well said. Tipping is like begging. The only way to stop people expecting tips for doing the job they are paid to do is if everyone stops tipping.

Posted: Sat Dec 8th, 2007 09:40 pm
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
mudmonkey

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Dec 19th, 2006
Mana: 

This sounds like it's going to be a rebellion...

Posted: Sat Dec 8th, 2007 09:47 pm
  PMQuoteReply
16th Post
mudmonkey

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Dec 19th, 2006
Mana: 

This sounds like it's going to be a rebellion...

Posted: Mon Dec 10th, 2007 04:43 am
  PMQuoteReply
17th Post
spud

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun May 14th, 2006
Mana: 
You know when it comes to tipping I use this simple rule. If the service is good I leave a cash tip of 20% or more for the server. That way the restaurant doesn’t get to take a cut. If the service is crap i.e. they are slow to provide refills on drinks etc than I leave nothing. Tonight I ate at White Spot, despite leaving my empty glass at the side of the table I was offered only one refill on a soft drink so I left no tip.

Current time is 12:52 pm

TALKCalgary - Forums > Calgary Stuff > General Talk > It’s extortion to demand tips for doing one’s regular job

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1055 seconds (7% database + 93% PHP). 28 queries executed.