TALKCalgary - Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
TALKCalgary - Forums > Calgary Stuff > General Talk > Do You Own Your Own Business

You are viewing in limited guest access mode only. For full access please login or register

Do You Own Your Own Business
 Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Aug 21st, 2007 11:37 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
kbs

Joined TALKCalgary: Mon Aug 13th, 2007
Mana: 
If you own your own business there are some great investment tools at your disposal offered by the Segregated Fund. Basically a Seg Fund is a protected Mutual Fund. Here are some of the similarities and differences.

Similarities of the Seg Fund and Mutual Fund

-Professional Management

-Ability to invest in small dollar amounts

-Regular statements and reports

-Diversification

-Ability to be held in a registered plan ie RRSP

-Automatic re-investment of allocations

-Ability to transfer in between funds

Features Exclusive to the Segregated Fund

-Maturity Guarantee

-Death Benefit Guarantee

-Bypass of Probate

-Creditor Protection

-Bankruptcy Protection

-Reset Feature

-Favorable Tax Treatment

A few things to consider:

- The maturity guarantee and the death benefit guarantee together are called the principle guarantee. The maturity guarantee provides for the return of at least 75% of deposits 10 yrs after the date of contract is signed by the investor. Some companies offer up to 100% guarantee. What does this give the investor? In one word : SAFETY.

Posted: Sat Sep 15th, 2007 09:00 am
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
OutWest

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 18th, 2007
Mana: 
Are you a mutual funds salesman?

I have beaten the crap out of the M.Funds by investing in just 4 blue chippers. NO MER, and I get to re-invest the dividends

Cummins Engines, Teck Cominco, Suncor, and Royal Bank of Canada. With RBC, buy when the market takes it's October hit. Target price $50-$51, or if the p/e hits 11:1 or less

Cummins has more than doubled this year. Teck is 9 fold in 4 years. Raised their dividend, and they are buying back shares. 2 billion in their kitty, to buy up smaller fish

CAT erpillar is looking good too. Hold for the cycle

Posted: Sat Sep 15th, 2007 01:09 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
trailmix

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Aug 20th, 2006
Mana: 
What does this give the investor? In one word : SAFETY

As for the guarantee, what it actually gives the investor is NO RETURN or 25% less than the original deposit.

Depends how you look at it I guess.

My Sister invested money in a segregated fund about 15 years ago, not sure of all the details but she ended up, after about 8 years, with a little less than the money she had deposited.  She received a letter from them the other day, this is a few years later of course.  The company is TransAmerica Canada  - seems there is some descrepency in the management fees that were charged during that period and they are looking at refunding some of the money now (guess they got caught).

Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2007 02:43 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
kbs

Mana: 
The reason why the investment is protected is because it is an insurance product and not a financial product. You still get the benefit of the investment but because it is controlled by the insurance industry you also get the protection. Basically it is a protected mutual fund. 

Posted: Wed Sep 19th, 2007 01:26 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
Yes, that is the product she had.

Posted: Wed Sep 19th, 2007 02:27 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
OutWest

Mana: 
ROFL @ selling life insurance as an investment. They fed me that pitch 35 yrs ago. They hated me. I bought term

Posted: Wed Sep 19th, 2007 02:43 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
OutWest

Mana: 
Scared you might lose money? Stocks sometimes go down right after you buy them. Just WAIT, that's what Warren Buffet does.

Anyhow best MF are in the Royfund Group of funds, and although I am not 'qualified' to give investment advice, I'd go with their 'Aggressive Growth' fund. It's about $25 to buy in, and the M.Exp fees are about 1%. per year. I held one for about 4 years and it came back just a bit more than a double. (In the mid eighties...) You buy this fund at the Royal Bank, of course

Go talk to Edward Jones. They encourage one to buy and hold for long term. They put the customer first. I pick my own stocks though.  

Like a measure of safety? Go buy either Royal Bank or Bank of Nova Scotia. Both are trading in the mid fifties, and a good time to buy bankshares is after the market has taken a beating, and since last late July, it has done just that. So buy 100 sh, then;  HOLD on to it. The dividends are over 3% a year, and the stock grows around 17% per year... you can D.R.I.P the dividends

and DON"T read the 'experts' reports. Last year at this time, they said that Oil was going to go to $45 a bbl and the Canadian dollar would sag to 84 cents. Today:      Oil = $ 80/bbl,  and Can $ = 98.8 cents.

That's my nickel's worth, and I don't think this site likes people using it to sell life insurance

so take your sales pitch elsewhere

Posted: Wed Sep 19th, 2007 02:44 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
OutWest

Mana: 
Buy stock in the Insurance Company and you make a lot more

Posted: Wed Sep 19th, 2007 03:03 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
OutWest

Mana: 

$5,000 invested in Royal Bank shares in 1981 would be worth over $500,000 today if you had re-invested the dividends.

Same $5,000 invested in 1990 in bank of New York would become $155,000 by 2k1 if you had SPENT the dividends. 11 years.

Buy, hold, and prosper.  So can one get wealthy slowly? Sure, but not by buying life insurance or their funds

One more case, and this is a conservative one:

Manulife financial in Jan 2000 was at roughly $8 a share, adjusted for a split. 6 1/2 years later, it is at $41.00 With dividends re-invested, this figure is over $53.00. So is an investment of $8,000 that grows 6.5 fold to $53,000 in 6 and a half years a good thing?

Or would you rather buy a nice 'safe' indexed fund from some nice friendly salesman??

Last edited on Wed Sep 19th, 2007 03:06 pm by OutWest

Posted: Wed Sep 19th, 2007 03:15 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
OutWest wrote: That's my nickel's worth, and I don't think this site likes people using it to sell life insurance

I don't know if they like it or not, but I'm tired of seeing it.  I'm not saying you shouldn't post your stuff kbs, but I think you should be posting it in the 'free classifieds' section.

Posted: Thu Sep 20th, 2007 02:58 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
kbs

Mana: 
So a business owner shouldn't have investments that are creditor proof?

Posted: Thu Sep 20th, 2007 03:05 pm
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
I think a business owner should have whichever investments he likes.

However, the stuff you are posting isn't really a 'topic' as much as an advertisement for your business.

Posted: Thu Sep 20th, 2007 03:13 pm
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
kbs

Mana: 
If I owned a business where investing was involved I would like to know that there are investment options that can bypass probate, are creditor proof, etc etc. It's just another club in the bag.

Posted: Thu Sep 20th, 2007 04:29 pm
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
Well if this doesn't work out you could always go in to politics?

I don't mean to be rude but you just keep ignoring the part about - this is just a self serving ad - rather than a topic in a forum.  But it does give you the opportunity to add more to your self serving ad.

Well done.

Posted: Thu Sep 20th, 2007 04:52 pm
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
kbs

Mana: 
You're most welcome. I've put this up in the Classified section. Does that make you happy?

Posted: Fri Sep 21st, 2007 12:07 pm
  PMQuoteReply
16th Post
OutWest

Mana: 
Don't let the door hit you on the way out ;)

Current time is 09:28 am

TALKCalgary - Forums > Calgary Stuff > General Talk > Do You Own Your Own Business

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.0947 seconds (7% database + 93% PHP). 28 queries executed.