TALKCalgary - Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
TALKCalgary - Forums > Calgary Stuff > General Talk > Mayoral Candidates - Elections October 15, 2007

You are viewing in limited guest access mode only. For full access please login or register

Mayoral Candidates - Elections October 15, 2007
 Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Aug 24th, 2007 04:06 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
trailmix

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Aug 20th, 2006
Mana: 

--Pole Expired--

So these are the names that I could find.  Frankly I don't know much about any of them, although I did look up Kassam a while ago as I saw his name mentioned somewhere.  There was some kafuffle about him fleeing Kenya in some scandal and some other scandal about his immigration to Canada.

Posted: Fri Aug 24th, 2007 04:32 am
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Cutter

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 26th, 2006
Mana: 
The only one I know of other than D.B. is Oscar Fech who is not playing with a full deck. As for some U of C snot jockey, you must be joking! So I guess it has to be Dave again.

Posted: Sat Aug 25th, 2007 10:56 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Puck

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Apr 25th, 2006
Mana: 
If this is the only competition Bronconnier is up against then I guess than it’s a done deal. Why is it that only halfwits and nobody’s stand against Bronconnier?

Posted: Sun Aug 26th, 2007 01:52 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
Why is it that nobody wants to be Mayor of Calgary?

Posted: Sun Aug 26th, 2007 02:13 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Puck

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Apr 25th, 2006
Mana: 
Trail that is an excellent question. The problem is I don’t have an answer. The only thing I can think of is that anyone capable of taking the job on is earning far more in the private sector than what the city would be willing to pay. Although I’m sure the potential for “extra earnings” is available to most of city council.

Posted: Tue Oct 9th, 2007 05:35 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
chase

Joined TALKCalgary: Mon Oct 8th, 2007
Mana: 
the full list of candidates for mayor are: Dave Bronconnier, Sandy Jenkins, Alnoor Kassam, Jeremy Zhao, David Bertram, JJ Sunstrum, Alan Foster, Elizabeth Fielding, Harry Heck.

Personally, I was really intrigued with Jeremy Zhao, hoping for a brilliant young mind with innovative and fresh new ideas that many of the older candidates wouldn't possess. However, as I read his website, I can already tell he is in over his head. I think one of his main issues is transportation in Calgary, the focus being on bettering the transit system. He claims to really know the system well maintaining and highlighting the fact that he rides the bus everyday in order to get to from place A to place B. He also says that he wouldnt make use of the free car he would get if voted as mayor and he talks about how most of his salary would go to his family. Hes a second year chemical engineer student as well as a first year political science student. Although he presents great ideas for the issues of Calgary, I'm disappointed at his rebuttle for his lack of experience. Being a young person, he should realize one main component to being a political candidate and that is taxes. How can he know how to tax people when he himself isn't being taxed? (excluding income tax if he has a minimum wage job as well as GST) I think that he's merely just to keep the other opponents on their toes and maybe he'll be a real threat to the popular candidates in a few years...but I sure look forward to it.

Posted: Tue Oct 9th, 2007 09:52 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
meemo

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Feb 6th, 2007
Mana: 
Yep see the sad thing here is that people will debate the issue over and over again despite the fact we already seem to know the outcome.  I mean how many people have you all personally encountered over Bronconnier's term who seem to literally despise the man and can't understand why he was even voted into office in the first place??  Yet furthermore... these are the people who voted him in:?  Most of the time I doubt people even know or understand 1/10th of 1% of what they're complaining about.  I mean getting what you want is the easy part right?  Knowing what you want is supposed to be what’s difficult.

Posted: Thu Oct 11th, 2007 08:09 am
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
BadGRRRL

Joined TALKCalgary: Mon May 1st, 2006
Mana: 
You're completely right about Oscar Fech....he's a nut - and not in a good way. 

I do think that Bronco has it in the bag, but I also think that Alnoor will give him a good run for his money.   With all the advertising and facetime he's getting on the news, people will become more aware of who he is, and people do vote for  a recognizable face, whether or not they know the issues at hand.  

I also think that people don't vote because they don't know who stands for what.  The issues become so convoluded throughout the race as candidates sidewind and backtrack that even they don't kow what they're talking about sometimes.  Some are so busy running smear campaigns that they forget what the real issues are, while others are so focussed on issues that aren't fixable - only helpable (homelessness, for example)  - that they alienate themselves from the people who are actually voting and paying taxes. 

Posted: Fri Oct 12th, 2007 07:05 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
BadGRRRL

Joined TALKCalgary: Mon May 1st, 2006
Mana: 
The latest rumour I've heard floating around is that Alnoor is rounding up the ethnic voters by the busload.....should be interesting.

Posted: Fri Oct 12th, 2007 09:22 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
Cutter

Mana: 
Hasn’t Alnoor got a bit of a shady past??? Having said that, after getting hit in the pocket by Bronko and the rest of the leaches on city council who have year after year have voted for property tax hikes I will find myself asking if I can afford NOT to vote for Alnoor! 

Bronconnier has done a lot for Calgary but the bottom line is he has also taken far too much out of the pockets of taxpayers, as such it is time for him to pay the price himself.

VOTE ALNOOR!

Last edited on Fri Oct 12th, 2007 09:31 pm by Cutter

Posted: Sat Oct 13th, 2007 02:57 am
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
I can't do it.

FFwd weekly, Oct. 11/07: 

"Kassam made headlines earlier this year when he almost jacked up the rent in a Mount Royal apartment building he owns to $2,500 a month from $650. (After the media picked up on the story, Kassam changed his mind and gave tenants three months free rent.)"

But in the Herald it states:

"He now says they all found other accommodations before they had to pay the increase".

He freely admits he bribed Government officials in Kenya as that is the way they do business there.  Is that a good enough reason?

"Kassam is disarming when he's asked about all this. "Oh yes, I did that," he said last last October, referring to the bribery. "We all did. We had to. That was the political culture, entirely without ethics or honesty.

"It's not excusable, some of the things I did, but now I can sit back and reflect on what I did wrong and try to make it right."

He might be a great guy, I don't know, but there is something not quite right about him.  And there is something not quite right about a person who chose to do the wrong thing instead of trying to make things right (Kenya) - especially someone who wants to be a leader in this city.  In my opinion.

Posted: Sun Oct 14th, 2007 01:23 am
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
Cutter

Mana: 
No Kassam is not a great guy, he is a lowlife. But, he is a lowlife that has said he will put an end to tax hikes, and that gets my vote. For me the last straw was when Bronconnier came up with his new "curbside recycling tax"! We allready pay over 4k a year in property tax! No more Bronconnier you have had your hand in my pocket long enough!!!

Posted: Sun Oct 14th, 2007 02:42 am
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
I agree about the curbside recycling tax - that annoys me too.  Who knows, Alnoor might actually win this!

Posted: Sun Oct 14th, 2007 01:25 pm
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
Nitetrain

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Oct 9th, 2007
Mana: 
I'm considering voting for the guy myself. I like the way he comes across in his ads and I like what he has to say. The question is will he do what he says he will.

Posted: Sun Oct 14th, 2007 04:27 pm
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
Maybe.  But let's say he doesn't do what he says.  There will probably be letters to the editor, editorials etc etc 'the guy admits to bribing officials in his own country, then comes to Calgary and promises to 'clean up' government with full disclosure on campaign contributions, property registries etc etc - yet you voted him in, he doesn't do what he says he will, who have you got to blame"?

At least that is how I see this story going.

One would think, in Kenya, that as a wealthy, influential business person, he had some opportunity to 'clean up' the government - or at least to speak up about it and make an effort.  He chose not to - for whatever reason (I suspect it was all the money - but only he knows for sure).

Based on that he won't get my vote. 

Current time is 12:51 pm

TALKCalgary - Forums > Calgary Stuff > General Talk > Mayoral Candidates - Elections October 15, 2007

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1049 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 27 queries executed.