TALKCalgary - Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

You are viewing in limited guest access mode only. For full access please login or register

Speed Limiters
 Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Aug 31st, 2007 01:51 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
trailmix

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Aug 20th, 2006
Mana: 
Hmm that is an interesting thought.

On the one hand I like the idea.  On the other hand you have a valid point, there are some (very rare) instances where acceleration is necessary.

Why do people speed anyway?  I never understood that.

Posted: Fri Aug 31st, 2007 02:00 am
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Cutter

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 26th, 2006
Mana: 
For the same reason they tailgate, consistently switch lanes, join traffic by cutting across the solid white lines and cut other drivers up. Because in Alberta they all think they are riding horses not driving cars. That’s why in Alberta highways are called trails. I think the generic term for Alberta drivers is “Redneck”

Posted: Fri Aug 31st, 2007 02:07 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
trailmix

Mana: 
Well, I used to actually like driving in Calgary and I don't even like driving that much.  People used to be polite, easy going.

During the last boom, when Calgary's population grew, we had many people coming from elsewhere.  With this last influx of people it's now even worse.

How can you blame all traffic problems on Calgarians?  You get a huge influx of people from elsewhere in Canada, who drive like twits and Calgarians are called redneck drivers.

That's just - wrong.

Posted: Fri Aug 31st, 2007 02:20 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Cutter

Mana: 
Be careful Trail you’re starting to sound a little like me. You would never have made such an anti-immigration comment a year ago! 

What ever happened to the politically correct Trail we all have become accustomed to? :)

Posted: Fri Aug 31st, 2007 02:31 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
I wasn't referring to immigrants :D

Posted: Fri Aug 31st, 2007 03:45 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Cutter

Mana: 
Out-of-towners then, it’s still a step you have taken towards the dark side of
political incorrectness. Today you complain about out-of-towners, tomorrow it will be Asians cutting you up on the Deerfoot. Before you know it you will be starting to ask yourself if it is OK to live east of the Deerfoot. http://calgarytalk.com/bbs/forum2/77.html

Posted: Fri Aug 31st, 2007 03:48 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Cutter

Mana: 
Go on Trail admit it your starting to rebel. ;)

Posted: Fri Aug 31st, 2007 01:10 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
No need for the link, I still think it is ok to live East of the Deerfoot (how could I forget THAT discussion).

Posted: Mon Sep 3rd, 2007 08:04 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
Lord of Midian

Joined TALKCalgary: Sat May 5th, 2007
Mana: 
maggy wrote: This is something that concerns me. In Ontario the government is mandating that all trucks be fitted with “speed limiters” that will prevent them from going any faster than 105 kph. The plan is to run the trial for twelve months then consider implementing a similar restriction on cars. This is being done in the name of safety, but personally I feel it could cause accidents. There are times after all when you need to accelerate to get out of a situation. Imagine the outcome if your car leveled out at 105!

OMFG, are they **BLEEP**ing serious--bad enough for trucks, but ALL vehicles? It will indeed cause a great many accidents...I've lost count of how many close calls I've had in the big truck because I ran out of speed at just the "right" time. All these situations were in traffic...funny that, eh? The heavier the traffic, the more options you need to drive defensively in it, and speed when you need it/when safe and legal to use it is a critical one. That goes double for a vehicle that weighs 40,000 kg., 'cuz that **BLEEP**'s sure as hell not going to be stopping in time!

...as if I needed one more reason to stay the f out of Ontario, but here's one anyway.

Consider: The ability to control our mobility is one of the last true freedoms we have left...and now that's on the outs too. I mean, we have traffic laws and enforcement of same for a reason, don't we? But then, that would mean RCMP/OPP would actually have to like...be useful, and do their **BLEEP**ing jobs. Can't have that. Can we. 

Irony: I think that the limiter for all cars will NOT go through because jurisdictions would lose waaaaaaaayyy too much ticket revenue, but trucks are basically fait accompli, from what I've been hearing/reading. Actually, to ensure/protect their revenue stream, I expect to see what they already have had for a number of years in the UK, namely, speed cameras all but literally every 100 metres.

I knew I was making the right decision to leave North America permanently already, but again, here's yet one more incentive...

Safety-Naziism NEVER works, and the only real result is the loss of freedom for the people it's supposed to protect...

Posted: Sun Sep 23rd, 2007 06:10 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
OutWest

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 18th, 2007
Mana: 
I would just disable the limiter. Stupid, and you can go 110 on the Cal trail, Coquihlla, etc

Gestapo.... next thing they will insist on installing cams in every vehicle to make sure you are buckled in properly. Then mandatory GPS and you will be tracked 24-7. Speeding tickets by mail

Not everyone speeds. I am usually within 6-8 kph of the limit, unless on the Ed-Cal trail or Coquihalla.... I might hit 125-30. In Vancouver, there is no point in being much over the limit, as you are just going to hit another red light, after another red, after another, etc

Last edited on Sun Sep 23rd, 2007 06:12 pm by OutWest

Posted: Mon Sep 24th, 2007 03:18 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
Lord of Midian

Joined TALKCalgary: Sat May 5th, 2007
Mana: 
OutWest wrote: I would just disable the limiter. Stupid, and you can go 110 on the Cal trail, Coquihlla, etc

Gestapo.... next thing they will insist on installing cams in every vehicle to make sure you are buckled in properly. Then mandatory GPS and you will be tracked 24-7. Speeding tickets by mail

Not everyone speeds. I am usually within 6-8 kph of the limit, unless on the Ed-Cal trail or Coquihalla.... I might hit 125-30. In Vancouver, there is no point in being much over the limit, as you are just going to hit another red light, after another red, after another, etc

Exactly so. Example: in Japan, all cars are--or at least wre till recently--speed limited to a Vmax of 180kph. Gee, guess what the absolute first thing all owners do is? Esp. considering how insanely fast the JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) versions even of many vehicles we know here were/are.

We already have Big-Brother provisions in most new cars, mate. Most egregious example: GM's OnStar. Also satellite radio, and GPS navigation/driver aids--some more reasons why I would never buy any new car, as what's to stop Big Brother from knowing you've disabled the limiter and come arrest your ass? Or, simply seeing that you're doing something he doesn't like, and simply shutting your whole vehicle down from "on high?" This is coming, make no mistake....

Our last true freedom is almost gone, and we just stupidly keep marching to the cliff's edge like the lemmings we are....Humans--whose good idea, again??!!

Current time is 09:27 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.0844 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 31 queries executed.