TALKCalgary - Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

You are viewing in limited guest access mode only. For full access please login or register

Facebook
 Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Sep 12th, 2007 12:43 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
BadGRRRL

Joined TALKCalgary: Mon May 1st, 2006
Mana: 
So what's everyone think of this whole Facebook phenomenom?   I'm on it and I think it's great so far.....it's a great way to kill some downtime at work.  I do, however, find it a bit strange that people  - or "Friend Collectors"  who i haven't seen or talked to since high school are adding me..... I mean, really, it's been over 10 years and  I didn't like you back then either!  Is it a good way to reconnect with people or just another tool to cyber-stalk your ex's? 

Posted: Wed Sep 12th, 2007 11:24 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Lord of Midian

Joined TALKCalgary: Sat May 5th, 2007
Mana: 
BadGRRRL wrote: So what's everyone think of this whole Facebook phenomenom?   I'm on it and I think it's great so far.....it's a great way to kill some downtime at work.  I do, however, find it a bit strange that people  - or "Friend Collectors"  who i haven't seen or talked to since high school are adding me..... I mean, really, it's been over 10 years and  I didn't like you back then either!  Is it a good way to reconnect with people or just another tool to cyber-stalk your ex's? 
I just joined up, me. So I'll reserve judgement until further notice....

Posted: Thu Sep 13th, 2007 03:04 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
kbs

Joined TALKCalgary: Mon Aug 13th, 2007
Mana: 
I've been on it for a few months and it's allowed me to connect with people I haven't spoken to in years. It provides the user with a way to get in touch with anyone they wish just so long as the recipient is on there too. The only thing I don't really like is that sometimes the Moderators go a little too far in their regulations/monitoring.

Posted: Thu Sep 13th, 2007 04:03 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
TALKCalgary

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu May 18th, 2006
Mana: 
Personally I don’t like it. The idea is good enough the problem is that the whole social networking thing is getting way out of control. As a journalist almost every week I come across horror stories of people who have got themselves into deep trouble by forming on-line relationships with people using services such as MSN, Facebook or Myspace. 

Ask any law enforcement officer and they will tell you that social networking sites such as the above are the number one hunting ground for pedophiles, perverts and pimps. And it’s not just children who are falling foul of these sites; adults also are getting into deep trouble.    

NBC’s Dateline recently followed a police officer who assumed a fake on-line ID to start up cyber chats with teenage girls. The results were horrifying. In another investigative report researchers posed as young girls in a mater of hours they had dozens of men trying to arrange meetings with them. 

Social networking can be safe if used with caution. But not everyone is cautious and with an estimated 50 million users on Facebook alone sexual predators have never had it so good. 

You know one thing that I do find ironic about the social networking issue is the paradox when it comes to personal privacy. For years people have been paranoid about governments having access to their personal information. I could name at least a dozen feature films that have been made on this subject. Yet here we have millions of people publishing not only their own personal information on-line, but cross referencing their lives with that of their acquaintances. The NSA must think its Christmas!

Posted: Fri Sep 14th, 2007 01:53 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Puck

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Apr 25th, 2006
Mana: 
And forums are a good idea? Are you not being a little hypocritical here? :)

Posted: Fri Sep 14th, 2007 02:15 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
TALKCalgary

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu May 18th, 2006
Mana: 
Puck wrote: And forums are a good idea? Are you not being a little hypocritical here? :)

Absolutely not. Most forums serve as a place to exchange views not personal information, but I can see your point. I guess even people who post on forums need to be careful what information they give out.

Posted: Sat Sep 15th, 2007 07:25 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Cutter

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 26th, 2006
Mana: 
Zoxy wrote:  If they are stupid enough to go meet some stranger online than they shouldn’t be on the net in the first place, and deserve what they get.

You my friend sound precisely like the kind of person who girls should be cautious of.

Posted: Sat Sep 15th, 2007 10:08 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
trailmix

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Aug 20th, 2006
Mana: 
You call women who meet men online 'sluts' and he has an attitude?

Posted: Sat Sep 15th, 2007 11:18 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
Cutter

Mana: 
People like you Zoxy are my problem; frankly you’re everyone’s problem. Perhaps you would like to explain what you mean when you say that girls who meet people on-line deserve “everything they get”. What do they deserve exactly Zoxy, to be attacked, raped or do you have something else in mind? Have you considered that these girls you talk about may not so much be “on-line sluts” as they are gullible to the kind of lowlife who are incapable of forming relationships outside of cyberspace. You know the kind of pesron I'm talking about Zoxy!

Posted: Sun Sep 16th, 2007 03:30 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
Zoxy wrote: All I said was if a girl arranges to meet with a total stranger she has only ever talked to on-line than she is asking for trouble and as such she deserves what ever happens to her. Make of that as you will. If you play with fire don’t go bitching if you get burnt. You cant blame facebook for the actions of cyber sluts.  No one holds a gun to the head of these girls and makes them meet up with men. They do it all by themselves. So wake up and get real.

From this I think I now know 2 things about you:

1.  You are young

2.  You watch too much media and listen to your friends too much.

You have somehow confused the 'victim' with the perpetrator.  Let's say a female (or male) meets someone they have chatted to online and that person turns out to be someone of poor character and the person ends up being injured somehow.

How is this the fault of the person meeting them?  It's like saying if you wear a low cut shirt and go to a bar that you are asking for whatever happens to you.  It's backwards thinking.

If a person meets someone at a party and goes out with them the next night and they are injured somehow - is that their fault too?

People are expected to act in some type of civilized way in general, when they don't it is certainly not the other persons fault.

Not all people are as 'wise, worldly' and 'sophisticated' as you are zoxy.  yeah.

Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2007 02:25 am
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
If you drink and drive - crash the car, or take drugs, you have to take responsibility for that (they are both illegal as well - so it adds another dimension).

So what is the difference between that and the girl meets guy online scenario?

The girl, while maybe showing poor judgement, is not doing anything illegal.  If the person she meets harms her they are committing a crime.  There is a reason it is a crime, because it's wrong.

There is nothing wrong with meeting someone online and then meeting them in person - the fault is with the person that harms her - period.

Last edited on Tue Sep 18th, 2007 02:26 am by trailmix

Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2007 04:23 am
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
Cutter

Mana: 
I disagree with you on this one Trail. I feel any girl who arranges to meet with strangers show a distinct lack of judgment. However, unlike Zoxy I don’t think they deserve to be attacked or abused for this stupidity. 

You know it’s a little off topic but you have to ask yourself why all these social networking services are becoming so popular. It used to be that if you received a wrong number phone call it was a nuisance. Now people pay a buck fifty a minute to talk to a stranger on a chat line. Are we as a nation becoming so introverted that we are unable to strike up relationships in person with real people?   

Last edited on Tue Sep 18th, 2007 04:25 am by Cutter

Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2007 12:50 pm
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
BadGRRRL

Mana: 
I think that people these days are too afraid to talk to other people for fear of rejection or being called a Creeper....among other things.  If there's one little thing wrong or different with you, then you are rejected from society and treated like an outcast.  Online social networking allows people to find like minded others  and maybe eventually human contact - lol.  You definitely need to be cautious, but I've never had a problem meeting people I've chatted with online.....but I'm also not a 14 year old girl. 

Don't get me wrong, nothing beats meeting people in the real world and not online, but that's not always gonna happen.   I think social networking/online dating/facebook/myspace are good things when used cautionsly and appropriately.  Exercise caution, trust your gut and educate yourself....and you won't have many problems. 

Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2007 02:53 pm
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
Cutter wrote: I disagree with you on this one Trail. I feel any girl who arranges to meet with strangers show a distinct lack of judgment. However, unlike Zoxy I don’t think they deserve to be attacked or abused for this stupidity. 

You know it’s a little off topic but you have to ask yourself why all these social networking services are becoming so popular. It used to be that if you received a wrong number phone call it was a nuisance. Now people pay a buck fifty a minute to talk to a stranger on a chat line. Are we as a nation becoming so introverted that we are unable to strike up relationships in person with real people?   

Well actually I agree with that.  I guess I wasn't clear enough, I don't mean that the girl doesn't have to take some responsibility - she does and indeed it is a distinct lack of judgement.  However the real fault lies with the attacker in this scenario as having poor judgement when meeting people isn't a crime and I would suggest compassion for her rather than punishment or laying blame upon her.

That said, going back to my other analogy above, if the same person met someone at a party and went out with them the next night and was attacked - people wouldn't be placing the same judgement on her.

That is what I was saying to Zoxy about too much media.  The media depicts online meeting, chatting, facebook - whatever - as some kind of deep dark cave where stalkers and pedophiles live - ooo scary (more fear mongering).

As an aside, I would not let a child under 18 use chatrooms or boards without parental supervision.

Last edited on Tue Sep 18th, 2007 03:03 pm by trailmix

Posted: Wed Nov 28th, 2007 06:34 pm
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
BadGRRRL

Mana: 
Okay, So I've had my first bit of Facebook dramarama! Do options like "block this person" and relationship status cause more problems than they're worth? I understand why Block user is important, but relationship status can be used to manipulate adn/or produce purposeful gossip about you. Some people will take advantage of all the options they can, but is it always a good idea to broadcast your whole life to the world? Thoughts?

Posted: Tue Dec 11th, 2007 05:35 pm
  PMQuoteReply
16th Post
mudmonkey

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Dec 19th, 2006
Mana: 
I believe that this topic has gone far beyond that of just "facebook" and on to any site with your personal information that has chat or messaging capabilities etc.

To take responsibility onto one's self gullible or not.  I've always had been told and continue to tell other people who meet people in person to make it a double date and/or group meeting just to be safe.  There are a lot of inocents out there along with "webpreditors". 

I say with whatever you are doing online or not , be careful.

Topic: Facebook,

I love it.  Connecting with so many people on a different level.  And there are so many things to do on the site with all the applications ans such.  The only problem I have with the applications is that they ask for your personal information to be shared with other parties.  A little skeptical on that part.

Q: Is it true that all these profile websites the governments way to keep track of everyone?

Last edited on Tue Dec 11th, 2007 05:41 pm by mudmonkey

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 03:42 am
  PMQuoteReply
17th Post
Cutter

Mana: 
Social networking is certainly something that government agencies are not against. I think very few government agencies have access to the kind of cross referenced personal acquaintance information which they can get off the likes of facebook.

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 02:21 pm
  PMQuoteReply
18th Post
ragincajun

Joined TALKCalgary: Mon Aug 6th, 2007
Mana: 
I am not overly fond of the whole Facebook or Myspace thing. I have never been that comfortable with putting that much personal information on the internet for the world to see. But that is just me. I guess it is fine for some people, especially those who have been around computers their whole lives.

Posted: Thu Dec 13th, 2007 03:18 pm
  PMQuoteReply
19th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
I agree.  I'm not interested in putting all my personal info on the web either.

Posted: Sat Dec 22nd, 2007 06:10 am
  PMQuoteReply
20th Post
Lord of Midian

Joined TALKCalgary: Sat May 5th, 2007
Mana: 
Well it's got its' good and bad points. Though in the main--only IMO, 'natch--I think it's good: It's helped me find old friends and  I haven't so much as spoken to in almost 20 years, and probably wouldn't have for another 20 if not for F/Book. I've also met some very cool new friends, from all over the world (yes, many are hot: must be my sheer animal magnetism or something!).

Bad points: waaaaay too many stupid little applications trying to get you to join and clutter up your page with more and more useless crap! That said though, the aforementioned app's are a great way to kill time that would otherwise be wasted by doing actual work in/for some corpoRATe overlord's office.

It's also got some bugs and is occasionally slow.

I've also heard some people are getting their F/B inboxes stuffed to the rafters with spam, but I've not experienced this, myself--nor yet has anyone else I know--so nothing to report, there.

Overall, the existence of sites like this is fundamentally a good thing, I think.

Posted: Mon May 9th, 2011 06:07 pm
  PMQuoteReply
21st Post
AshleyGirl

Joined TALKCalgary: Mon May 9th, 2011
Mana: 
I think facebook is making people antisocial, because instead of going outside to make new friends everybody is just chatting on facebook all week long.

Posted: Fri Jun 10th, 2011 02:20 am
  PMQuoteReply
22nd Post
GardenBabe

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu Jun 9th, 2011
Mana: 
Hi, Ho... I used to have Face book, it was fine at the time, but it seemed to be taking allot of my time. I did get to see friends pictures I not see if we were having coffee or lunch. It's for some people, and it's not for other people.
:dude:

Current time is 01:59 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1160 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 35 queries executed.