TALKCalgary - Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

You are viewing in limited guest access mode only. For full access please login or register

so get this..
 Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Sep 17th, 2007 07:07 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
calgary123123

Joined TALKCalgary: Mon Sep 17th, 2007
Mana: 
I am currently going through this right now and I'm unsure what the end result will be until tomorrow.  The story was that I was interviewed twice for this company here in Calgary.  Everything went well.  The day after the last interview the HR manager called me and said that I "got the job" and that I would be getting a job offer via E-mail within the next few days.  I've been waiting almost 3 weeks now and I've called to follow up about 3 times.  And everytime I spoke to the HR manager they kept on repeating over and over that they were still waiting for the "proper paperwork" to be completed from their head office in Ontario.  But the last time I spoke with the HR manager they said that they were again, still awaiting paperwork and that they would call me on Monday (today) to "let me know what's going to happen". 

I want to know what I can do legally if this ends up going the other way?  I have turned down a other possible jobs due to having full confidence in this position.  I also don't have much money right now and I've anticipated that I would have been working with this company already and didn't bother looking for immediate work else where.

Posted: Mon Sep 17th, 2007 03:05 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
trailmix

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Aug 20th, 2006
Mana: 
This isn't IBM is it?

The reason I ask is that I went through a similar thing with them - I think it took over a month.  What they had done is hired me while the position approval was still pending.

Wasn't a big deal for me (although I understand your worry about it) and the approval did come through and I did get the job.

Last edited on Mon Sep 17th, 2007 03:55 pm by trailmix

Posted: Mon Sep 17th, 2007 08:24 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
calgary123123

Mana: 
Hmm, no it isn't IBM.  It's an energy company.  They called today and they apologized a few times saying that the hiring capability wasn't in their hands.  So we're still waiting for the approval (paperwork).  In the meantime, I'm going to play things safe and get a job at my roommates work.

Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2007 02:38 am
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
Glad to hear it is working out for you, with the temp job until they come through.

Last edited on Tue Sep 18th, 2007 02:38 am by trailmix

Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2007 03:29 am
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
Cutter

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 26th, 2006
Mana: 
So who are this company of halfwits?  

Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2007 11:37 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
BadGRRRL

Joined TALKCalgary: Mon May 1st, 2006
Mana: 
If it's a big company, then quite often there's ALOT of red tape & unecessary paperwork to go through when they decide to hire someone.  I know that when I worked for the Devil Corp, it would often take over three months to fill a position.....and not because of a lack of qualified applicants, but because every manager in every department had to get in their say and they had to lead on alot of internal candidates to save money while still getting the job done.  The longer it's empty, the more money they save.  Be patient, but don't hold your breath if it doesn't happen very quickly.  Remember, it's their loss if they piss around for too long and you find another job. 

Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2007 10:29 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
calgary123123

Mana: 
yeah, I got another call today and yet again, same thing about paperwork.  I don't think a big company like Hatch Energy should do that when hiring a qualified candidate.

I'm quite fed up with this.

Posted: Mon Sep 24th, 2007 05:51 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
Let us know how it turns out!

Posted: Mon Sep 24th, 2007 06:17 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
calgary123123

Mana: 
ok well it's been quite a long time since I last posted.  But to play things safe I went for a job interview at a friends work and got the job.  This company above just so happened to finally give me my offer which I had turned down only because they made me wait too long.  It was a good thing that I let them know right away that I turned it down.

This new job doesn't start for another 2 weeks so hopefully I can find some temp stuff until then.

Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2007 03:53 am
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
Cutter

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 26th, 2006
Mana: 
You’re going to love this one. My brother-in-law has just gone through the same horror story as you after being offered a job as a “support technician” with Hatch Energy. What is wrong with these morons?

Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2007 05:19 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
calgary123123

Mana: 
Cutter wrote: You’re going to love this one. My brother-in-law has just gone through the same horror story as you after being offered a job as a “support technician” with Hatch Energy. What is wrong with these morons?

I honestly don't know.  Luckily I had a plan B after 3 weeks into this whole mess.  When I finally did get the offer from them I turned it down immediately.  Good thing I'm nice enough to let them know ahead of time.

Posted: Sun Oct 7th, 2007 04:10 am
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
trailmix

Mana: 
Some people!

Here is another story about someone mucking around with someones plans.

So I know this person, they were looking for an apt.  Goes to see one in Mission, all good, tells the guy he is interested - doesn't hear back for a week so starts looking at other places.

Then the guy calls back, well there was a woman who was going to take the place but looks like she is backing out - we would like to offer it to you.  Great!  He goes to meet the husband and wife owners, signs a lease (they said they would send him a copy) - he is set to move in in a week (1st of Sept).  I should mention the wife was really strange and rude.

About two days later the guy calls back.  Sorry, can't have the place, woman has changed her mind, she is moving in.

Whatever, he was offered 3 other places, got a great place downtown for less rent than the place in mission.

About a two weeks ago - oh yes wait for it - the guy calls back!!  Seems the renter has decided to move out...is he still interested!?!?

I mean really.

Posted: Mon Nov 19th, 2007 01:57 am
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
calgary123123

Mana: 
Cutter wrote: You’re going to love this one. My brother-in-law has just gone through the same horror story as you after being offered a job as a “support technician” with Hatch Energy. What is wrong with these morons?

wow, haven't been on this site in a while but i still can't believe they're like this.  Like can companies actually do this?  was your brother in law convinced as well that he got the job? did he take it?

Posted: Tue Nov 20th, 2007 06:53 pm
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
george

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu Aug 16th, 2007
Mana: 
I learned in school that they do this to try and starve you for a while so when you do finnaly get the job your poor and broken down some what, when you do finally get hired on they can treat you worse as chances are you will have no place to go and need the money. Personaly i would have taken the job just to screw around for a few weeks, throw a little wrench into there operations then quit. After they have spent there time and money on training you:).

Current time is 11:39 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1007 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 29 queries executed.