TALKCalgary - Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

You are viewing in limited guest access mode only. For full access please login or register

AIL - Never Again!
 Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Oct 9th, 2007 08:43 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
meemo

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Feb 6th, 2007
Mana: 
Well last week I had a job interview with AIL (American Income Life).. OK I thought.. yes I've never worked at an insurance company before but the money seemed pretty good so against my better judgment I pursued the 'opportunity' presented to me.  They stated they had a 'three-step' interview process after the preliminary phone interview.  So the first interview came and went with all positive feedback and a second was lined up towards the end of the week, which last Friday I went to.. everything went great and they offered me the job on the spot... so what went wrong you ask?  Well...

The guy I was interviewing with said I would do well in sales(he stated it about 7 times during my interview)  Well after re-enforcing many times how I didn't wish to work on a strictly commission-only basis he went back to discussing administration jobs with me.  He then went on to inform me that to work even in that field I would have to pay firstly a $30 'Security Clearance'... then a $312 'Admin/Registration Fee'.  Of which if I decided to pursue sales I would have had to pay a grand total of $972 to AIL before starting work or making a cent there. 

Well after walking out on my 'interview' there I decided to further research the company.... check it out for yourself but basically any person who has ever worked with either AIL or their subsidiary company NIL (National Income Life) don't exactly have great reviews or testimonials for them.  It turns out that over the past three years the company acquired 7000 new agents, of which 6900 terminated their contracts during that same space of time(most in less than 6 months and before earning less than $2000 after expenses)  They of course give you an explanation on this stating it is not just their company but the insurance industry as a whole.  The typical BS type explanation.

Bottom line... AIL is a scam and I don't recommend any person whom happens to read this to pursue any 'opportunities' presented to them by the company.  They are not upfront with you about anything and wait until the last moment and after you have wasted an obscene amount of time on them before they inform you of the 'fine print'. 

Love always

-Meemo

xoxoxoxox

Posted: Tue Oct 28th, 2008 05:57 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
retired1

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Oct 28th, 2008
Mana: 
Hi Meemo:

As a person who is a client of A.I.L. and have been for a number of years.

How reputible are they when it comes time to collect an insurance claim from them, or do they have hidden red tape and hoops to jump through in order to get back what is rightfully mine as a claim

Thank you

retired1

Posted: Wed Nov 12th, 2008 03:28 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
enams

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Nov 12th, 2008
Mana: 
Thanks a lot for your suggestion! I had a call today morning and I have decided not to go to the interview. :D

Posted: Wed Jan 14th, 2009 04:30 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
tenyardrambo

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Jan 14th, 2009
Mana: 
Wow they kept calling me for the past 2 months almost every second day. Too bad they dont have my own LAN line/ cell phone.

My parents told me they leave messages every 2 days .....thanks for the heads up all !

Posted: Tue Aug 18th, 2009 02:04 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
spikemedic

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Aug 18th, 2009
Mana: 
How reputable are they when it comes on the time to collect an insurance claim from them, so that is the advantage of having a good insurance...

Posted: Mon Sep 28th, 2009 03:52 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
the real deal

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Sep 27th, 2009
Mana: 
Most of these posts are ignorant, yes to be a lisenced insurance agent there is a fee and you work on commision only (oh and upfront fees, try asking a real estate agent, a doctor, or a mechanic, or anyone who is self employed how much he has to invest in what haha himself and his business). Revelation to all you who wish to sit on your butt and let your employer take all the risk: you will be paid only what it costs to replace you which is settling for what someone else thinks your worth. And next recession you'll be first to go again while the insurance agents are still protecting famillies.

The insurance industry has a 13% retention rate in the first place (as opposed to the 100% security of your job haha how many lay offs lately) and if you cant make it in a company that gives you the leads...your done cold calling and prospecting your friends and family in any Sales effort haha (yes insurance is sales incase you thought that was a dirty word, and if you do...dont watch you tv commercials because they are trying to sell you something). 

Anyone can be allured by the money, but only the ones that actually realize that they have to roll up their sleeves and go to work make it in the service industry (persistance is key). So stop your crying that you cant handle an opportunity that has fallen on you because maybe in a few years you can do it when you mature a little. Til then opportunity is never lost it is just given to someone else.

Scammed, I doubt it because you have to have lost something to be scammed, Im sure anyone who puts in a great effort will be rewarded just like any other opportunity out there. Even if they dont make it at AIL your insurance lisence is good anywhere else in Alberta so go dont waste your investment,unless you were just a gold digger in the first place then paste ads here haha.

Posted: Tue Feb 16th, 2010 09:18 am
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Horatio916

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Feb 16th, 2010
Mana: 
Thanks for heads up. I was scheduled to have an interview with them later today.

Posted: Wed Jun 9th, 2010 02:56 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
alyb

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Jun 9th, 2010
Mana: 
Hi there as of today at 11:45 am. i have a job interview with AIL. every thing iv have read is bad. so i emailed Paisley who contacted me for the job interview in regards to every thing online. I have not got an email back. i found the add on kijiji calgary. this is the add.

SALES
OPPORTUNITY

We are a rapidly growing company that has more clients than we can see. We understand that it is a good problem to have, but we need to bring on qualified people that will help us keep up with our growth.
What we desire in a candidate is: self motivation, proven leadership abilities, a customer service attitude, integrity, experience in sales, a desire for professional development, a willingness to learn, and exceptional people skills.
What we provide is a genuine career opportunity: benefits, company generated high-quality leads, NO COLD CALLING or PROSPECTING, complete training and mentorship, growth opportunities, financial success, and Health, Life, Retirement benefits.
AIL Canada is a supplemental benefits provider for unionized employees. Our company has a well established marketing plan, and a strong niche market (50,000+ groups internationally) and has a product that has value, and is a necessity (over 7.5 million customers worldwide). We train constantly, and only promote from within, which is based on performance, not on seniority. We care about people and that is why we are #1 in our market internationally.
For consideration of this position, please forward your resume and a brief cover letter to Paisley at mailto:ail-phopkins@live.ca

the email i got made the job sound GREAT!

but it doesnt look great once you google the company. i have also tryed to call them, it rings then goes to voice mail.

Posted: Thu Aug 5th, 2010 01:51 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
Tdotgurl

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu Aug 5th, 2010
Mana: 
this whole A.I.L thing sounds exactly like the CITYgroup scam. they lure you in and tell you that you'll make lots of dough but then say that YOU have to pay THEM  first. that is just wierd. like if i wanted to be a licenced insurence agent i would have gone to a licenced accredited school for that, because then i'll be sure that my title is valid. at A.i.l supposedly that is what they are charging you for the "education". but tell me something, after i get the "certificate"or what ever it is, will it be valid at any other company or only at AIL?

Posted: Fri Dec 17th, 2010 03:23 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
sammp14
Guest Member

Joined TALKCalgary: 
Mana: 
AIL Canada keeps calling my house, whenever I tell them my mom isn't home, and ask to take a message, they NEVER leave a message, they just tell them they'll call back, or to get my mom to call him back. He never left a name, or what company he works for. So my mom called him back, and it turns out he works for AIL Canada, clearly it's a scam.

Posted: Thu Jan 27th, 2011 09:52 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
concernedindividual
Guest Member

Joined TALKCalgary: 
Mana: 
I was contacted for interview on Jan.26/2011, I never applied for position, they said they received my resume from SaskatoonJobShop.ca.  They said I was the perfect candidate for the position and to come in the following day for interview.  I met with Randy and she went through the policies of company in a very quick manner.  She explained I had to pay for my training and registration up front to amount of $1000.  She also said there was no cold selling and I would have to meet with clients at their homes.  She stated that the company would not pay for training as the company has lost a lot of money in past from potential employees withdrawing from program etc.  She mentioned that it was solely commission and bonus sales only.  She really stressed the Annual Convention and that it was in tropics every year and they would pay for five days all inclusive for myself and my spouse.  The interview with Randy at the Saskatoon office did not feel right, nor did I believe her when she stated they were so busy that phone rang continually.  I was in the office for an hour and never once did phone ring or client walk through the door.  I truly feel AIL is a scam and will be pursuing this with local police and Better Business Bureau.  It seems to me that the more agents you have as management the more you make.  Warning signs of pyamid structure within this company.  I can not believe they can stay in business legally. 

Sincerely,

Saskatoon, Sask.

Posted: Tue Feb 1st, 2011 12:17 pm
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
Stratetalker

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Feb 1st, 2011
Mana: 
I have been working at the Calgary office 10 months now and let me tell you. It has not been easy!:shock:
My first month was really tough. After I was hired I had to spend some money to get licensed, a security clearance from the police, etc. and I had been unemployed for 3 months! Even though I earned back the entire up-front investment within 4 weeks of being hired I was just breaking even and I still didn't even know if I could do it. I had no sales skills, was awkward talking to people, shy in general and disliked "sales people" myself!
I had researched the company and found the usual posts on forum threads from haters like in any industry which had me doubting taking this risk on my family's welfare.

Since I took the job to at least try and learn some sales skills and learn something about the financial industry if nothing else I decided to just utilize all the tools I was handed that they said would make me successful and not quit before I had really started.
In my second month I grossed over $7,000 and averaged over $6,000/month for the next 6 months. Not bad. Not great by any means especially since I left 6 figure income working for a "boss" in my former industry. So, why would I stick around?:?
Do I sift through phonebooks or bug my friends and family for sales? No. Do I deceive the families I see to get them to stroke a cheque? No. Am I "selling" something that I believe in? YES.
The life insurance industry is boring; especially AIL (that's the good news). There's not even any fancy sales techniques to brag about in the office. All we do is present the products and ask if it's affordable. There's really nothing that exciting about the work itself other than the feeling you get when you help a family protect themselves.... And the advance cheques!:D
Take it from me, after spending over 10 years traveling the world and working in, and owning companies in, "exciting" industries, if you're going to work your butt off you might as well get rewarded financially and then have fun and excitement when you're not working.
But where is the future in this "boring" opportunity?
The future is in the growth of AIL itself. All companies strive to grow in size and strength and when companies grow during a recessionary period it means they are exceptional and that my job is stable. AIL grew 33% over the past 3 years. To grow requires finding the right people to lead that growth. Finding the right people in any market requires meeting as many people as possible and picking the best, those of them that want the opportunity and want to prove themselves. This is aggressive hiring and it sounds like some people are getting scared off because they think AIL is making money off of hiring people.
It's true that agents and managers are encouraged to (not "required" to) and rewarded to help find good people to help grow the company. That's just smart. When you're meeting hundreds (yes, HUNDREDS) of people per month and a lot of those people are unemployed or un satisfied with their current job then why wouldn't you offer them an opportunity to earn good money helping families? It's a BONUS that you get rewarded for it. (It is actually called a "bonus" and it isn't counted as part of your core commissions which make up the bulk of the income you earn - get it. There's no MLM component to this company - unlike others).
The only problem is that the company is growing too fast. :shock:
How can you sustain that kind of growth even when a lot of the people you interview aren't chosen, some are scared to try it, and many don't make it over 6 months because they are lazy? You need to build and reward leaders. As with any sales position there's someone above the agent or sales person earning some reward for helping that person be successful. A lot of time this is the owner of the company directly which kind of stings most of the time. As long as you lead by example and operate with Honesty, Integrity, and Trust and show a strong work ethic then you will not be prevented a leadership/manager opportunity with this company. That's what excites me!:D

The last thing, which I have yet to actually see for myself, is the renewal cheques. If you are willing to work hard and you are able to stay in the company for 8-12 months then you start to receive the balance of your commissions AND renewals which is a percentage of all of your sales still in-force which some people call their retirement account because it's on-going. I can't wait for my first one!

Well, to wrap it up... I found this thread last night and I wasn't really surprised to tell you the truth. There's always people that can find the time to spread negativity and negativity, unfortunately, is easier to find on the internet than positivity.:?
I just wanted to tell my honest story and try and help some people. The chances are, if you took the time to read this (long) post and not just skim the negative ones looking for a reason to reject the opportunity and not go to work then you are interested in AIL or AIL Canada. If that's the case then we definitely want to talk to you.
I definitely wasn't sugar-coating anything and to be even more brutally honest most of the people we interview aren't hired, a lot of the people we hire don't make it through the licensing requirements, and some of the people that make it past that won't make it over 6 months in the industry. You won't find a company in the industry that puts more into their people than AIL so if you can't make it with AIL you won't anywhere else. The FACT is that you will be provided every opportunity to be successful at this company and the only people who don't succeed are the ones who don't work smart. If ypu don't make it past the interview or the licensing please don't ruin it for us who do by spreading theories based on your fear of hard work and/or success.
If you do make it past the 6 month mark you probably will go on to earn well in excess of 6 figures/yr. and retire with over $1M in your retirement account at 10 yrs. which you will continue to receive for life. All this while representing strong products and protecting families.
Go for it!:cool:

Posted: Thu Feb 3rd, 2011 03:19 pm
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
Stratetalker

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Feb 1st, 2011
Mana: 
I have been working at the Calgary office 10 months now and let me tell you. It has not been easy!:shock:
My first month was really tough. After I was hired I had to spend some money to get licensed, a security clearance from the police, etc. and I had been unemployed for 3 months! Even though I earned back the entire up-front investment within 4 weeks of being hired I was just breaking even and I still didn't even know if I could do it. I had no sales skills, was awkward talking to people, shy in general and disliked "sales people" myself!
I had researched the company and found the usual posts on forum threads from haters like in any industry which had me doubting taking this risk on my family's welfare.

Since I took the job to at least try and learn some sales skills and learn something about the financial industry if nothing else I decided to just utilize all the tools I was handed that they said would make me successful and not quit before I had really started.
In my second month I grossed over $7,000 and averaged over $6,000/month for the next 6 months. Not bad. Not great by any means especially since I left 6 figure income working for a "boss" in my former industry. So, why would I stick around?:?
Do I sift through phonebooks or bug my friends and family for sales? No. Do I deceive the families I see to get them to stroke a cheque? No. Am I "selling" something that I believe in? YES.
The life insurance industry is boring; especially AIL (that's the good news). There's not even any fancy sales techniques to brag about in the office. All we do is present the products and ask if it's affordable. There's really nothing that exciting about the work itself other than the feeling you get when you help a family protect themselves.... And the advance cheques!:D
Take it from me, after spending over 10 years traveling the world and working in, and owning companies in, "exciting" industries, if you're going to work your butt off you might as well get rewarded financially and then have fun and excitement when you're not working.
But where is the future in this "boring" opportunity?
The future is in the growth of AIL itself. All companies strive to grow in size and strength and when companies grow during a recessionary period it means they are exceptional and that my job is stable. AIL grew 33% over the past 3 years. To grow requires finding the right people to lead that growth. Finding the right people in any market requires meeting as many people as possible and picking the best, those of them that want the opportunity and want to prove themselves. This is aggressive hiring and it sounds like some people are getting scared off because they think AIL is making money off of hiring people.
It's true that agents and managers are encouraged to (not "required" to) and rewarded to help find good people to help grow the company. That's just smart. When you're meeting hundreds (yes, HUNDREDS) of people per month and a lot of those people are unemployed or un satisfied with their current job then why wouldn't you offer them an opportunity to earn good money helping families? It's a BONUS that you get rewarded for it. (It is actually called a "bonus" and it isn't counted as part of your core commissions which make up the bulk of the income you earn - get it. There's no MLM component to this company - unlike others).
The only problem is that the company is growing too fast. :shock:
How can you sustain that kind of growth even when a lot of the people you interview aren't chosen, some are scared to try it, and many don't make it over 6 months because they are lazy? You need to build and reward leaders. As with any sales position there's someone above the agent or sales person earning some reward for helping that person be successful. A lot of time this is the owner of the company directly which kind of stings most of the time. As long as you lead by example and operate with Honesty, Integrity, and Trust and show a strong work ethic then you will not be prevented a leadership/manager opportunity with this company. That's what excites me!:D

The last thing, which I have yet to actually see for myself, is the renewal cheques. If you are willing to work hard and you are able to stay in the company for 8-12 months then you start to receive the balance of your commissions AND renewals which is a percentage of all of your sales still in-force which some people call their retirement account because it's on-going. I can't wait for my first one!

Well, to wrap it up... I found this thread last night and I wasn't really surprised to tell you the truth. There's always people that can find the time to spread negativity and negativity, unfortunately, is easier to find on the internet than positivity.:?
I just wanted to tell my honest story and try and help some people. The chances are, if you took the time to read this (long) post and not just skim the negative ones looking for a reason to reject the opportunity and not go to work then you are interested in AIL or AIL Canada. If that's the case then we definitely want to talk to you.
I definitely wasn't sugar-coating anything and to be even more brutally honest most of the people we interview aren't hired, a lot of the people we hire don't make it through the licensing requirements, and some of the people that make it past that won't make it over 6 months in the industry. You won't find a company in the industry that puts more into their people than AIL so if you can't make it with AIL you won't anywhere else. The FACT is that you will be provided every opportunity to be successful at this company and the only people who don't succeed are the ones who don't work smart. If ypu don't make it past the interview or the licensing please don't ruin it for us who do by spreading theories based on your fear of hard work and/or success.
If you do make it past the 6 month mark you probably will go on to earn well in excess of 6 figures/yr. and retire with over $1M in your retirement account at 10 yrs. which you will continue to receive for life. All this while representing strong products and protecting families.
Go for it!:cool:

Posted: Sat Jun 7th, 2014 08:25 am
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
NormanCypret
Guest Member

Joined TALKCalgary: 
Mana: 
The activity of the animal beings has become acutely active everywhere on this earth. Bodies do not get time to booty a blow for a while. With the accretion use of altered gadgets of Gps Jammer, the possibilities of accepting the aboriginal of blow accept absolutely finished. The adaptable phones or the corpuscle phones are some of these accessories that accumulate the bodies consistently in blow with the alfresco world. The adaptable building are additionally accessible about everywhere these canicule and due to this the accessibility of the Cell Phone Jammer has become alike added quick and authentic. Today, you cannot break out of ability of these adaptable building as their signals can bolt your about anywhere. The bearings of bodies who accord to altered business professions has become actual analytical of phone jamming as their authorities bolt them anywhere any moment.

Posted: Wed Dec 17th, 2014 11:19 pm
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
jcro56
Guest Member

Joined TALKCalgary: 
Mana: 
Thank you for the information they called me for an interview today I definitely will not be attending..If I do i will not be wearing pants

Posted: Wed Dec 24th, 2014 06:03 am
  PMQuoteReply
16th Post
lee123

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Dec 24th, 2014
Mana: 
<P>10 MINS: Wow. The 2013 rugby league 'season' is barely minutes old and Ben Barba is already weaving some of his magic, crossing for the opening try of the match. Johnathan Thurston's grubber is fortuitously kicked by Greg **FakeorDamagedNike** Free Run Inglis into the path of Cheap **FakeorDamagedNike** Free Run Indigenous All Stars fullback Barba, **FakeorDamagedNike** Free Run Womens who toes **FakeorDamagedNike** Free Runs ahead for himself and dives on the ball under the posts. </P>
<P></P>

Current time is 09:23 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1241 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 32 queries executed.