TALKCalgary - Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
TALKCalgary - Forums > Calgary Stuff > General Talk > American Income Life a scam?

You are viewing in limited guest access mode only. For full access please login or register

IMPORTANT
Get The FULL FACTS On Homes For Sale In And Around Calgary Including:
 Area Pricing | Low Down Payments Homes | Foreclosure Homes | Home Purchase Histories |
Click Here
Information is Complimentary and provided by TALKCalgary's Realtor of Choice

American Income Life a scam?
 Moderated by: Admin Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Oct 10th, 2007 02:18 am
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
meemo

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Feb 6th, 2007
Mana: 
Well last week I had a job interview with AIL (American Income Life).. OK I thought.. yes I've never worked at an insurance company before but the money seemed pretty good so against my better judgment I pursued the 'opportunity' presented to me.  They stated they had a 'three-step' interview process after the preliminary phone interview.  So the first interview came and went with all positive feedback and a second was lined up towards the end of the week, which last Friday I went to.. everything went great and they offered me the job on the spot... so what went wrong you ask?  Well...

The guy I was interviewing with said I would do well in sales(he stated it about 7 times during my interview)  Well after re-enforcing many times how I didn't wish to work on a strictly commission-only basis he went back to discussing administration jobs with me.  He then went on to inform me that to work even in that field I would have to pay firstly a $30 'Security Clearance'... then a $312 'Admin/Registration Fee'.  Of which if I decided to pursue sales I would have had to pay a grand total of $972 to AIL before starting work or making a cent there. 

Well after walking out on my 'interview' there I decided to further research the company.... check it out for yourself but basically any person who has ever worked with either AIL or their subsidiary company NIL (National Income Life) don't exactly have great reviews or testimonials for them.  It turns out that over the past three years the company acquired 7000 new agents, of which 6900 terminated their contracts during that same space of time(most in less than 6 months and before earning less than $2000 after expenses)  They of course give you an explanation on this stating it is not just their company but the insurance industry as a whole.  The typical BS type explanation.

Bottom line... AIL is a scam and I don't recommend any person whom happens to read this to pursue any 'opportunities' presented to them by the company.  They are not upfront with you about anything and wait until the last moment and after you have wasted an obscene amount of time on them before they inform you of the 'fine print'. 

Love always

-Meemo

Posted: Wed Oct 10th, 2007 05:26 pm
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
Nitetrain

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Oct 9th, 2007
Mana: 
This is good stuff. There are too many companies out there taking advantage of the manpower situation. 

Nitetrain

Posted: Thu Oct 11th, 2007 07:49 pm
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
ragincajun

Joined TALKCalgary: Mon Aug 6th, 2007
Mana: 
That's right. You should never, ever have to PAY to go to work. After all, you are trying to earn money in the first place. That's really too bad Memo. This company sounds like they are pretty polished when it comes to luring people in just for their money. Good luck.

Posted: Fri Jun 13th, 2008 08:09 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Max Weber

Joined TALKCalgary: Fri Jun 13th, 2008
Mana: 
Thanks a lot. I was just called by these guys out of the blue and it seemed kinda strange. I got a wierdo vibe and researched it. I read your post and called them right away. I asked them if they've ever searched their company name on the internet. They didn't have much to say. Needless to say I never went to my second interview. Thanx

Posted: Thu Jun 19th, 2008 05:56 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
JenniferT

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu Jun 19th, 2008
Mana: 
Hey Max Weber,

Who called you for an interview? Do you remember his or her name?
I used to work at the Edmonton office.
They scammed me good. I lost more than $5000 working for that crap company.
I'm glad you were smart and didn't go for the interview. Good for you!

Posted: Fri Jun 27th, 2008 12:41 pm
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
taketheredpill

Joined TALKCalgary: Fri Jun 27th, 2008
Mana: 
Hi Everyone,

I was actually just contacted by these people and they said they found my resume through EdmontonJobShop.ca which I did post one there but I don't remember applying for their company.  I was trying to do a little research on the company before I go for my second interview on monday and I came accross your posts.  How exactly is it that they cheat people out of money?  They require you to pay costs upfront before being hired?  The person I talked to was a lady named Marry who said she was from human resources. 

Thanks for the tips though I'll definately be on the lookout now in case they're asking me to pay them before being hired.   

Posted: Fri Jun 27th, 2008 07:22 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
JenniferT

Mana: 
I don't know which office you went to but the office I was at asked me to pay $709 upfront.

$397 of that money goes to the course for life insurance, and the rest which is $312, they called it Administration fees, but that's a lie. That money goes straight in their pockets. Anytime the person from "HR" brings in someone for an interview and if that person takes the job, then they reward the HR guy for bringing that person in, so half the money goes to the HR person and the other half goes to his manager's pockets I beleive.

But they call it admin fees so it sounds legit. If you want to try it out, go right ahead, but don't complain we didn't warn you ahead of time. There's more details about this company and what they do from this site: http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=3245

Read it thorougly and if it's what you want, then good luck to you!

Posted: Mon Jul 14th, 2008 11:02 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
pipes_46

Joined TALKCalgary: Mon Jul 14th, 2008
Mana: 
Hi,

I just wanted to throw in my two cents here as I worked for AIL for about 6 months or so.

It's not a scam, but they do try to make it seem like you are working for them when really you are the owner of your own business. They assist you with training and provide you with leads. Most of that money you mentioned you have to pay is the schooling and testing which shouldn't be shocking that you would require a course and a license to work in a field where you advise people about money. It's not even them that you pay the money too. You pay a separate school for the course and books and you pay the government for your license. If you stay with the company for 6 months they actually auotmatically re-imburse you $1000 dollars for all your start up costs.

If you are an intelligent, hard working and sincere person, you actually can make very good money as an agent with them. It is not a typical lifestyle however, which really is the only reason I am no longer working with them.  It definitely isn't for everyone and yes, a lot of the managers are fast talkers.

Anyway, that's all I have to say. I just thought it would be fair to present a view from someone who has experience with them.

-Joel

Posted: Mon Jul 21st, 2008 06:54 pm
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
JenniferT

Mana: 
Joel, 

I worked there too. And like I said before, if you actually read my post, is that yes you do pay for the course, but there are ADDITIONAL FEES they charge which they disguise as admin fees. Those admin fees actually go into their pockets!

If you've worked there for 6 months, then this is something you should already know, unless ofcourse you didn't help with the hiring. I paid $397 for the course and $312 for "admin fees".

Did you work at the Calgary office? They do not give any money back to people in the Edmonton office. $1000 back? That sounds pretty nice of them to do that, cuz not all of them offer that.

- Jen

Posted: Wed Sep 17th, 2008 01:44 pm
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
SharonG

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Sep 17th, 2008
Mana: 
Thanks to all for your info on this company. Glad I didn't waste my time!

Posted: Wed Nov 12th, 2008 03:30 pm
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
enams

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Nov 12th, 2008
Mana: 
Thanks!!!!!

Posted: Mon Dec 8th, 2008 03:25 pm
  PMQuoteReply
12th Post
mias

Joined TALKCalgary: Mon Dec 8th, 2008
Mana: 

Hello, I am a newcomer from Europe. Recently moved from Toronto to Calgary, looking for a job. Nice to meet all of you.

AIL called me today and we have an interview on Wednesday. It was quite strange because they also called me before twice.

So, I guess I won’t go after I read your posts. Do they have an web site? They promised me to send the info, but nothing yet.

It is a good idea to make a list of skam-companie’s. My hubby tells me to go and see. What do you think?

Posted: Wed Jan 7th, 2009 08:30 pm
  PMQuoteReply
13th Post
DavidM111963

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Jan 7th, 2009
Mana: 
Wow

You certainly know when you get that queeezy gut feeling when you get the email.

The fellow that emailed me said he was the CEO (name Rroger Smith)and my qualifications would work very well. I have been selling construction products for 15 years but the insurance game is a good fit.

I'm glad I decided to investigate a little further and found that fellow Calgarians had my back

Thanks

David

Posted: Fri Jan 9th, 2009 12:38 am
  PMQuoteReply
14th Post
M A

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu Jan 8th, 2009
Mana: 
Just saved!!!!!!!

I was scheduled for interview in AIL Edmonton office tomorrow and had the same feeling about the company as described in these messages. So confirming my feelings that I started to search on the internet and got these messages.

So no interview  with AIL tomorrow as I also decided against it.

Thanks to everybody for sharing.

M A

Posted: Fri Mar 20th, 2009 03:28 pm
  PMQuoteReply
15th Post
Sudheer

Joined TALKCalgary: Fri Mar 20th, 2009
Mana: 
Thanks for all of you,

Who ever made those comments, thanks!!

I had an interview today, reading your commets I cancelled the interview.

Once again, thanks for the help.

Sudheer

Posted: Tue Mar 24th, 2009 02:34 pm
  PMQuoteReply
16th Post
chantelle

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Mar 24th, 2009
Mana: 
Thank you very much for that. As it turns out they just emailed me to ask if i would like to meet with them this week.

Posted: Tue Mar 31st, 2009 06:44 pm
  PMQuoteReply
17th Post
Rain

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Mar 31st, 2009
Mana: 
Thanks for the heads up. They've call me today and I had not contacted them before.

Posted: Wed Apr 8th, 2009 11:04 pm
  PMQuoteReply
18th Post
horse53

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 8th, 2009
Mana: 

I received a call and have an interview next tuesday.  I asked them what job I was applying for.

The gal talked tech talk, so I let it be.

I will be cancelling my interview.

Thanks for the info.

JM

Posted: Thu Apr 30th, 2009 03:23 pm
  PMQuoteReply
19th Post
shep

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu Apr 30th, 2009
Mana: 
Thanks for this, i just called for tomorrow and i wasnt feeling good about the the guy on the other end and is seemed  fishing. I have done further research and it seems to be an common issue. I'm out

Posted: Wed May 6th, 2009 11:26 am
  PMQuoteReply
20th Post
ICleopatra

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed May 6th, 2009
Mana: 
thank you for your info.   i just got NOW  an email from this company.    and i will avoid him!!

thanks again.

Posted: Sat Aug 22nd, 2009 12:16 am
  PMQuoteReply
21st Post
Drew2.0

Joined TALKCalgary: Fri Aug 21st, 2009
Mana: 
I just got a phone call from "Sandra" who seemed very pushy about setting up an interview but not really letting me know for what.  After I finally got the speach about how my resume indicated a good fit with AIL and that I would be involved in insurance sales I laughed at her on the phone.  I'm an Environmental Technologist with a military background....how the heck is that a good fit.

My instincts were confirmed when I ran across these post...thanks folks

Posted: Sun Sep 6th, 2009 11:22 pm
  PMQuoteReply
22nd Post
Hiyakudash

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Sep 6th, 2009
Mana: 
Thank you all for posting your feelings on this subject so that I could so readily uncover what I suspected would be the true nature of this company. Though even without this forum I would have deduced its fraudulent nature by the suspicious content of its email alone (as most people surely could) which I had today received.

The line in the email subject which read “YOU MUST REPLY TODAY” should have indicated enough, especially since it’s a Sunday. The email lays down way to many promises of grandeur and as many of you stated before says that I would do great in their sales department. This is interesting since I am a Software Engineer and the closest which I have ever been to “sales” is being a waiter in a restaurant when I was in high school which should tell you how far removed from “sales” I really am.

The icing on this joke of a company mail was the link they provided where you could learn more. I expected to be forwarded to their website’s home page, however I got a page which basically said I have confirmed to allow them to contact me again (most likely by phone) So they basically trick you into letting them call you. I’m expecting their phone call with glee since I good use another good chuckle.

Also you should never have to pay for training or admin fees. I have worked for companies who have paid far more expensive educations for me then could be required for someone in sales. Real companies have budgets for this

Posted: Tue Oct 6th, 2009 12:48 pm
  PMQuoteReply
23rd Post
drmacleod

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Oct 6th, 2009
Mana: 
Thank you for this post. I too, just got contacted by Sandra this morning who was very vague when I started asking specific information about their company and the job.   I was not surprised when I googled to see scam, scam, scam.  Thank god for the internet and that you all warned me before I put on a tie.

Posted: Tue Oct 6th, 2009 08:34 pm
  PMQuoteReply
24th Post
voltairemalaise

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Oct 6th, 2009
Mana: 
Unfortunately there are a number of employment scams ongoing in Calgary.

My experience was with Alliance Artists Management. They posted an ad on regionalhelpwanted.ca.

Their implied pitch was they were hiring people as "walk-ons" for commericials etc...

They showed me a binder of e-mails from people thanking them for getting them work. They all had the same wording.

Then came the clincher. They wanted a $150 membership fee. They also would arrange for another fee to have professional photos taken.

Needless to say I laughed and walked out.

Posted: Thu Jan 14th, 2010 10:12 pm
  PMQuoteReply
25th Post
Jude2

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu Jan 14th, 2010
Mana: 
Thank you so much for your post.  I had an interview lined up for tomorrow morning, wanted to refamiliarize myself with the company...  You were what came up in the search!  You saved me a TON of grief.  Thanks everyone!  Jude2

Posted: Tue Jan 19th, 2010 03:39 pm
  PMQuoteReply
26th Post
Sublime

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Jan 19th, 2010
Mana: 
Thanx all for the info on this comapny. Even if i had the cash to waste, i couldn't imagin have'n to PAY for a job. That defeates the whole puorpuse of finding a job. Thanx again

Posted: Thu Jan 21st, 2010 09:01 pm
  PMQuoteReply
27th Post
Cosmo

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu Jan 21st, 2010
Mana: 
I'm glad I read this. I have an interview with them..and I won't be going after reading all of this. Thank you.

Posted: Fri Jan 22nd, 2010 02:56 pm
  PMQuoteReply
28th Post
CCRAIG

Joined TALKCalgary: Fri Jan 22nd, 2010
Mana: 
I received a number of emails from them here in Winnipeg, MB and ignored each email. I got a call from an agent asking to come in for an interview and said no. I continued to get a couple more emails and continued to ignore them. Again, I get another callback for an interview. I finally agreed to come in for an interview. They said to me all times. that they found my resume on Monster.ca

I did post my resume on monster.ca but stated that I was looking for adminsitration only. The guy I talked to said that I would start out as a Customer Service representive and move up to Management in the first couple months.

Is it to true to believe? Do I go for the interview or call back and cancel??

Posted: Sat Jan 30th, 2010 02:42 pm
  PMQuoteReply
29th Post
meemo

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Feb 6th, 2007
Mana: 
NO!!!  For the love of god and all that is holy - DON'T GO!!!!  This will cost you an arm and a leg.  They will attempt to convince you to pay into certain things.  To get 'training'.. etc, etc.  The reason they keep pestering you is because they get a kick back for every new person they get to join - obvs.  Case closed.  Don't go!  Look.. people need to have a job.. and right now.. they're a wee bit harder to get to say the least.  So they will be taking full advantage of that.  They will rob people blind with promises.. but trust me.. and I speak from experience as many other people seem to on this thread.. just walk away. 

Posted: Sat Jan 30th, 2010 05:53 pm
  PMQuoteReply
30th Post
CCRAIG

Joined TALKCalgary: Fri Jan 22nd, 2010
Mana: 
I didnt go to the interview the guy called me back the next day and asked me to come in tomorrow for an interview. I said yes but I never went. My boyfriend said I should have said I didnt go to the first interview because i wanted to sleep in. Another friend told me to go to the interview and tell them that I know its a scam and swear at them. Which I would never do...

I did call the guy back before my first interview and said i had a couple questions about the company and position and left my number for him to callback but he never did call back. He only called back to reschdule my interview.

Posted: Wed Feb 3rd, 2010 05:55 pm
  PMQuoteReply
31st Post
OntarioMom

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Feb 3rd, 2010
Mana: 
Hi All, I don't live in Calgary. I am from Ontario and I recieved an email from a "Brian Traboulay" from this American Income Life of Canada offering me a job as a 'Customer Service Representitive'. I went for my first interview today in Cambridge Ontario, and they seem to be very interested in me as an employee.

Anyways while I was in this interview the HR Rep, Adrienna had asked me if I did any research on the company I said no becuase I didn't have the time, I was just contacted by them last week through email and then when I returned the call on Monday they wanted to set up the interview for Today .... long story short once I got home I decided to research them.

I have to admit, I didn't see much on a scam other then this so I figured I would do some asking... I did however also call back the company just a few moments ago and told the HR rep that I took her up on her offer and researched them. I asked her if she realized there was a bunch on them being a scam and she said unfortunatly she did realize this. I noticed people mentioning having to spend money to work for them, so I asked about it. She went on to explaine that for the sales position there was money involved becuase to sell insurence to people you need to have a licsence and then she went on to explaine how the position I am going for the customer service rep that this was salary based not commision (which I told her I wont work in the interview and she agreed) and that this position had no cost involved.

So to rap it up, I am asking for some feedback from anyone willing to give it. I have read through the posts and realized most are talking about sales positions and working on comission which wasn't the case of my interview but before I get called back for my "second" one I wouldn't mind seeing if anyone has gone through my experience thus far?

Thanks all!

:) OntarioMom

Posted: Sun Feb 7th, 2010 05:36 pm
  PMQuoteReply
32nd Post
dstoreyc

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Feb 7th, 2010
Mana: 
Hi Thanks. I received an unsolicited Email. requesting an interview. I looked up the company and came across your posting. Again thanks.

Posted: Mon Feb 8th, 2010 01:41 am
  PMQuoteReply
33rd Post
KitKat999

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Feb 7th, 2010
Mana: 
Interesting......

I just received an email too from a Kelsey Diamond Human Resources Manager ailhr.kdiamond@live.com
Glad I didnt waste my time..................

I'm glad I saw all these posts.

Last edited on Mon Feb 8th, 2010 01:43 am by KitKat999

Posted: Mon Feb 8th, 2010 02:00 am
  PMQuoteReply
34th Post
Cutter

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 26th, 2006
Mana: 
Nice touch listing this lowlifes email address. Not many above the line companies using Live.com for their email.

You know AIL remind me of the kind of scum who send out Viagra type spam. They are simply playing the numbers game.

Posted: Thu Feb 11th, 2010 04:33 pm
  PMQuoteReply
35th Post
fangel

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu Feb 11th, 2010
Mana: 
AIL is a scam.  Report them at http://www.recol.ca/

Posted: Thu Feb 18th, 2010 07:28 pm
  PMQuoteReply
36th Post
CalgaryGirl30

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu Feb 18th, 2010
Mana: 
Here is my story....
   I was called back in November By Kelsey for an interview, saying that according to my resume I was the perfect fit for a position at their company and to come in for an interview.  I went through the whole process of several interviews being told how fantastic the job was and how phenomenal the commission would be.  The only catch was that I would need to come up with money right away to join the company and with just a short course I would be on my way to earning crazy amounts of money within weeks.  I could not afford any of this and went into to debt paying out $375 administration costs to the company, $30 for a security clearance,  $390 to the school for a 4 day course and then taking the school's test over and over again till I could come out with a passing mark.  Then it was on to the provincial test (another $100)(and you keep paying this amount over and over if you don't pass), then back to the office to fork over another $155 for a license that isn't even in my own possession.   this took several months to complete not the promised couple of weeks.  During this whole time I was receiving emails and phone calls from Washington office every couple of days to see where I was at in all of this.  The moment I passed I had to call them to let them know.  Once all this paying out for everything (which I think they get kick-back from everywhere for referring them) I have yet to get anything back.  I was also promised that I would be able to make everything back that I paid out in the first week of working.  No phone calls from them no emails from them.  Nothing.  I walked into the office and they give me the run around saying that they have called and emailed and that I have called them but I don't have any local numbers.  They are very slick and lie through their teeth.  They make a lot of money convincing people to pay them to work for them.  The manager even had the nerve to tell me that they only take a select a few (1 or 2) from each group interview and offer them the position, but when you go to the school to study and everyone from the group is there (hard to believe that 15 people are 1 or 2 select few huh?) that makes for a lot of pocket lining every few days. 
   This is a lesson I could not afford to learn I hope that everyone else learns this lesson by what I have had to say.

Posted: Mon Mar 1st, 2010 06:30 pm
  PMQuoteReply
37th Post
nib

Joined TALKCalgary: Mon Mar 1st, 2010
Mana: 
Thanks everyone!

Well my daughter just had her 2nd interview and I have to admit I was scepticle about this whole scenario. Now that I've been able to read all your posts about this scam, I have asked her to hold them off until she can read these posts.  Of course, she was so excited about getting a job offer so soon (also scepticle) so rather than put it totally down myself, I've asked her to come over tomorrow and have a read.  I knew right from the get go, and reminded her at that time, that no job should have to be purchased!!  I think this is so wrong... these people should be stopped. It's hard enough to get a job these days and so many don't have that kind of money to dish out to start with. She's going to be disappointed, but it's just another lesson in life to learn!

Remember, it's not a job if you have to pay for it!:(  Good luck in your legit job hunt.....bye from Ontario!

Posted: Tue Mar 2nd, 2010 04:32 pm
  PMQuoteReply
38th Post
topskee

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Mar 2nd, 2010
Mana: 
I just received a call today from "Jay in HR". He asked if I had a few moments to talk. I told him I didn't, unfortunately (as I am currently at work). He said he received my resume and was interested in having me come in for an interview. I asked him if he could e-mail me (easier for me to talk that way), but he said unfortunately they only schedule interviews over the phone. After taking down his phone number so I could call him back, I decided to check my e-mails to verify applying with this company, as I keep a record of all applications I send out. Sure enough, as I had thought, I never did apply for a position with this company (why would I? I DESPISE sales, and insurance companies!). I then decided to research this company to find out more about them, and see if I could jog my memory. I came across this forum, and am glad I did. Don't think I'll be calling them back!

Posted: Fri Mar 5th, 2010 05:44 pm
  PMQuoteReply
39th Post
goatboy

Joined TALKCalgary: Fri Mar 5th, 2010
Mana: 
All MLM's are a scam! I found a rant about this that was so spot on I have to share it: http://sheepvomit.com/Joining_MLM_how_to_lose_dignity.html

Posted: Mon Mar 15th, 2010 09:55 pm
  PMQuoteReply
40th Post
Coco

Joined TALKCalgary: Mon Mar 15th, 2010
Mana: 
MEEMO thank you! :)

Posted: Wed Apr 14th, 2010 02:58 pm
  PMQuoteReply
41st Post
pattiew

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 14th, 2010
Mana: 
Thank goodness looked up this company.  I have the number on my call display.  I applied for and posted my resume yesterday n calgaryjobs.ca.

They did not leave a message. I did not apply there nor would I ever apply for ANY jobs in sales, let alone pay any fees!!!!!!!!

Patty

Posted: Fri Apr 23rd, 2010 02:48 am
  PMQuoteReply
42nd Post
time2more

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu Apr 22nd, 2010
Mana: 
Thanks for this forum topic.

I just rec'd 2 calls today from AIL Victoria. I should have known it was a sales call when after the first call there was no voice mail left. Sadly, curiosity got the best of me and I answered the second call. The gentlemans name was Grant Carphin (Read on as it gets better). I don't know how he got this information, but he was able to state that my father, through a musicians association union of which he had belonged to 10 or 15 years ago, had signed me up for a complimentary $2000 AD&D and a Family Information Guide. Grant was able to confirm my birth date, my wifes name and our address. He was pleasantly pushy in that he stated he was surprised that my father had not mentioned this, but then continued with his request to confirm my personal information. When I declined further answers he stated that he has a form here signed by my father with his signature. *Granted my father is old and slightly forgetful I have sent my father an email to confirm this*
Grant wanted to continue to confirm my info and was adamant about making an appointment because "my calander was quickly filling up and I'll only be in town for 2 days." I gathered some info about his company (AIL Victoria) and a spelling of his name. FYI - I will not be following up with Grant and if I do it will be to decline his request. Here is what I found online for Mr. Carphin.

I hope this helps someone.
Chris

http://www.securities-administrators.ca/uploadedFiles/General/pdfs/Enforcement2004_Eng.pdf

The Institute for Financial Learning et al. - On September 21, 2004, a notice of hearing was issued naming the Institute for Financial Learning, Group of Companies Inc., Milowe Allen Brost (aka Milo Brost, aka Mylo Brost), Jorgen R. Nielsen, Vickie Rinehart, Ward Capstick, Jim Lavender (aka A.J. Stewart), Glenn Delwisch, Mary C. McLeod, Grant Carphin, Joanne Assen, Quatro Communications Corp., The Corporate Development Team Inc., Consumer Debt Recovery Trust/Heritage Financial S.A., Syndicated Gold Depository S.A., and Christopher Houston alleging the sale of securities without being appropriately registered and involvement in an illegal distribution. An interim Cease Trade Order was issued by the Commission on September 17, 2004 that ceased traded the securities of Quatro Communications Corp., Consumer Debt Recover Trust, Heritage Financial S.A., and Syndicated Gold Depository S.A. Trading in securities by Joanne Assen, except for personal trades through a registered dealer, must cease and any exemptions do not apply to Ms. Assen. On September 30, 2004, this Cease Trade Order was extended until a hearing was concluded and a decision rendered.
The Institute for Financial Learning, Group of Companies Inc., Milowe Allen Brost, Vickie Rinehart, Ward Capstick, Jim Lavender, Glenn Delwisch, Mary C. McLeod, Grant Carphin, The Corporate Development Team Inc., and Christopher Houston entered into an undertaking with the ASC on September 30, 2004, that they would not trade in the securities of the companies in question until approved by the ASC. See http://www.albertasecurities.com/dms/1404/8895/11574_IFL_-_O_ACCEPTING_UNDERTAKINGS_-_2004-09-30_-_1629174.pdf and
http://www.albertasecurities.com/dms/1404/8895/11562_IFL_-__ORDER_EXTENDING_CTO_-_2004-09-30_-_1629628.pdf for details.

Posted: Sun Apr 25th, 2010 02:17 pm
  PMQuoteReply
43rd Post
lucki

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Apr 25th, 2010
Mana: 
Hello, I am an Insurance Agent.   Insurance is not for everyone.   YOU MUST be licensed to be an agent, you take the course which is not free - pay for the books and pay for the license which is controlled by the government.   Whether you work for AIL or any other insurance company, this is the standard.   I started with Freedom 55 - London Life owned by Great West Life.   I payed more than doubled what AIL is asking.   I got screwed 10 time more and my Director made the money of me.   Freedom 55 and all other insurance companies will survive because they offer security to customers BUT the agents are the one's who have choose if this is the right career for them.   I left Freedom 55 after 6 months because all my commission went to paying for expenses because I didn't have the clientele yet to build my business and make money.   There are people in the industry who are making a substanial amount of money because they are good at what they do.   I had 33 people receive their license and started the same day with Freedom 55 after 2 weeks only 10 people after 2 months 2 people was left.   This is common among all insurers,  this business is not for everyone, so all insurance companies and all companies who offer a commission will be a scam if it's not for you.   I've worked at two brokerage firms after and they weren't much help.   If you are not happy if the upfront cost, then get out. Find a new career.   But if you stick it out, you can make money.   I've worked in administration for 15 years in the insurance industry, we allways tell new candidates, if you do not have atleast 4-5 months income saved up, you cannot make it financially to start.

Choose your career wisely.

Posted: Thu Jun 24th, 2010 10:01 pm
  PMQuoteReply
44th Post
tama4ever

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu Jun 24th, 2010
Mana: 
The following is an e-mail response I recived from an HR manager at AIL. Believe me that the e-mail response from this person shows how completely and totally un-professional they are. Not to mention completely out of line with anyone functioning as an HR manager. Lucky that person is not working for a legit company or they would be seriously reprimanded so such a response to anyone and possibly lose their job. I have never in my life heard of such complete BS>

Below is reponse from AIL HR Manager:

Let me ask you a question. When you were doing research, did you find or see on Yahoo hotjobs that AIL is ranked in the top 50 companies to work for in North America and is the #1 top financial?

Does it make sense that a company that has been around since 1924 and has an A+ superior rating for financial strength and client pay-out from AM Best, would be a scam? Did you know that we currently work with over 40,000 unions and have billions of dollars in assets?

Clearly you are NOT well informed nor do you have any idea of what a scam really is. Now if you did research then you would know that the company is an American company. Therefore the trademark name in Canada, is AIL Canada. Next time you want to send out attack emails, make sure you do your research so you can at least be somewhat educated and make a case and point. Without knowledge, your not taken seriously.

I wish you luck and hope that your day gets better.

Kelsey Diamond
Human Resources Manager
AIL Canada

http://www.mylifeatail.com

Posted: Sun Jun 27th, 2010 03:22 pm
  PMQuoteReply
45th Post
livinginthesun

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Jun 27th, 2010
Mana: 
Thanks for the heads up I just got an email today and I deleted immediately.

Posted: Mon Jul 12th, 2010 06:58 pm
  PMQuoteReply
46th Post
ellistev

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu May 20th, 2010
Mana: 
Yeah I had an interview a while ago at another Financial Assistance company.  Turned out they would train you, which you had to pay for yourself.  Then you would be able to make money for yourself by recruiting other people.

Scams!  It's sad that people are trying make money on the hopes and dreams of people caught up in the recession.

Boo

Posted: Sun Aug 29th, 2010 02:53 pm
  PMQuoteReply
47th Post
talung

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Aug 29th, 2010
Mana: 
Just got the "bogus email job offer", guess the virus spread to Toronto, Ontario too. The email they are using is HumanResources-AILC1@tmkrms.com, see below. xP

Take care eveyone.

T

Hi, my name is Josh Chalom and I am the State Director for American Income. I saw your resume on the internet and felt that I should contact you immediately. Our company currently has openings for several outstanding individuals like you.

If you are an individual seeking a financially rewarding position with a company that is part of the Torchmark Corporation (TMK), a company that truly believes in honesty, integrity and trust, then I would like to speak with you.

Please call my office at 416-483-2520              416-483-2520      so we can schedule an interview.

Best regards,

Josh Chalom
American Income Life in Canada

We would like to keep you updated on exciting job opportunities at American Income Life Insurance Company. We will continue to alert you when we have openings at our local offices. You received this email because you placed your resume on an internet job board or responded to one of our job ads. To remove your email address from our list, please do not reply to this email. This will not remove you from future emails. Instead, please use the link below to process your removal requests. Compensation is on a pay for performance basis.

Click here to unsubscribe from further communication regarding job opportunities at American Income Life Insurance Company. Please allow two to three business days for the removal process of your E-mail address to be complete. American Income Life Insurance Company, 1200 Wooded Acres, Waco, TX 76710.

Privacy Policy     Abuse@tmkrms.com     postmaster@tmkrms.com

Posted: Wed Sep 1st, 2010 02:23 pm
  PMQuoteReply
48th Post
KerBear

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Sep 1st, 2010
Mana: 
i just got an email from a roger smith from ail, and it seemed weird and out of the blue ... so i went on google to find out more info and i found these messages.. so thank you for the heads up (=

Posted: Wed Sep 1st, 2010 11:17 pm
  PMQuoteReply
49th Post
sassmiester

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Sep 1st, 2010
Mana: 
I am really glad I found this forum, not from Calgary, but Northern ON.
My Husband randomly got a call from Ed Olfert, representing AIL Winnipeg office, who wanted to talk to him about his 'unions coverage."
First of all, my husband hasn't worked for or belonged to a union (UWFC/UFWC?) since before college, over 5 years ago.
I was immediately skeptical about all this, since we had not tried to contact AIL and they actually found us through my husbands father (whom he lived with at the time of his employment within a union).

Ed started off by offering us "free" benefits, when we inquired further about this he back tracked to correct himself by saying "Free?--well, not really. Your benefits kick in once we get a cheque." Riiiiiiight. Not only that but the sales agent was incredibly unbelievable in trying to pressure us to sign up for coverage "I'm only in town until Friday morning, and if you don't sign up now, I doubt you'll call."

We tried to let him know that we would like time to discuss the company, packages, costs etc  privately and think about it, and what does Ed say? "Don't think about it too much!" WTF is that? We even said that we'd like to research the company ourselves to ensure that we felt confident in the company before signing any agreements, and boy did that rub him the wrong way "Well don't believe everything you read on the blogs."  He continued to pressure us to sign!sign!sign! because tomorrow might be too late, don't you know.

His serial smile, and broken record repetition of the policy he was shilling got old and suspicious fast. Too fast. Ed threw around a lot of statistics about cancer, and even went so far as to imply that if we didn't buy the policy NOW that we (or any member of our family) would get hurt or die "god forbid" soon after and regret not purchasing the 'whole life' policy.  

How is that okay? If I wanted to jump to paranoid conclusions this man just said that he or his company would break our legs/kill us if we didn't purchase insurance from them.

Totally unprofessional. He went so far as to give us his 'personal' cell number, just in case we decided that we didn't want to have to deal with someone dying without insurance.

It's ironic that this (and other) scam warning sites are 99% of the Google results.
I'm glad I'm one of those people who likes to think about things before diving in head first. 
Here is a link to another forum where various folks from either side of the fence are debating the legitimacy of AIL.

I think for the time being we are going to avoid life insurance, and AIL.

Posted: Mon Sep 6th, 2010 01:16 am
  PMQuoteReply
50th Post
Dionewfie

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Sep 5th, 2010
Mana: 
I found it odd that a Life insurance Company from the U.S. would have their CFO send me an email for an interview. Then I googled it and came to your post. Thanks for the info. But remember companies like this are a dime a dozen.

Posted: Sat Nov 13th, 2010 10:09 pm
  PMQuoteReply
51st Post
MeTired

Joined TALKCalgary: Sat Nov 13th, 2010
Mana: 
Well this is an interesting subject.
From what I read so far it seems that everyone who worked for AIL has made their decision based on experience. Some of you I admire to try something and then found out that it was not for you and moved on to something else.

For those of you who have made their decision based on others I only have one thing to say to you and that is you can not make a decision by yourself. This is obvious because you did not say anything about the type of work you like or dislike. I am also amazed with your kind that will settle for cheap pay and say they are happy when they complain about everything else.

For those of you who are coming to this site please do go to the meeting with AIL and check it out for yourself. Isn't that part of an interview. To see what they have to offer and if you do not like it then walk away.

Also if this is not for you why are you even considering applying for it. Are you that desperate to try anything? If this is the case I feel very sad that you do not know how to win an interview.

Put it this way, if I do not like to cook would I go to an cook position and then put something bad about the restaurant that I applied for, the eck no, it makes no sense.

HERE is a big one for all you smart people. I put an application for the airport screening position. It took 3 months before I got the first phone interview then it took another 2 months before I was finally hired, because of 4 different types of test. But wait this is not all, now I have some training to do and guest what? If I fail this exam, and you have one, one yes one chance at this, I am out and I will have to reapply for this position after one year of waiting.

Now I have chosen to apply because I think it is for me. I have been in different security position and therefore this is my line of work.

Yes I did apply for AIL and yes so far it is hard to get through the LLQP exam and the provincial exam but it give me a challenge which no one can give me unless I give it a try. Am I going to like selling insurance I do not know but if I am willing to try it then their is a reason, and that is for me to find out no one else.

Have a good life everyone and I hope that if you feel to go for something you will do it with pride.

Amen :).

Posted: Fri Dec 10th, 2010 04:29 am
  PMQuoteReply
52nd Post
baburao

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu Dec 9th, 2010
Mana: 
Hey, I sent my resume for the position of MANAGEMENT TRAINEE to AIL and got a call back for a 5 minute interview, and then the guy setup a face to face interview. I wanted to know if this is a build your own business job or does one get a regular income. I understand if you have to pay for your insurance license but would you recieve a monthly income. They also hire Sales Agents, is it only sales agents that are commisioned jobs and management jobs are not or are they both commsion or paid??

Does anybody have any idea on this ? Please let me soon, so I don't waste my time. I did research them online and saw a video of thei founder at one of those money making huge convention lectures and it all seems too shady that a entry level Managment Trainee can make CDN $ 40K-60K per year, in this economy. So i have a gut feeling its one of those build your own business things.

Thanks

Posted: Fri Dec 10th, 2010 11:10 am
  PMQuoteReply
53rd Post
MeTired

Joined TALKCalgary: Sat Nov 13th, 2010
Mana: 
So it is sales all the way through. You make money on every sales. Once you want to be a manager (if AIL feels you are ready for it) then you hire your own sales agents and when they make money you make money. The money you make from your agents is to help you to help them and also because you will not have time to make your own sales. If there is a potential to open a new office then AIL pays for the office rent and some other expenses but not all of it.
If your clients always renew their insurance every year then every year you make 5% (that is at this time 2010) commission on their renewal. Also if your clients decide to get more insurance and they see you then you get a commission on that also. That what it is in a nut shell.
Hope that helps.

Posted: Fri Jan 28th, 2011 12:40 am
  PMQuoteReply
54th Post
js121786

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu Jan 27th, 2011
Mana: 
Hi Everyone,

I actually work for National Income in New York right now, and I cannot vouch for every other agency, but the agency in New York is absolutely not a scam. Yes you have to pay for the classes ahead of time but I can tell you I did get re-imbursed for the money that I paid. I love working here and the sky is the limit to the amount of money that you can make here. I would suggest to anyone that if you have the time and energy to put into this job I would suggest to try it, at least in New York offices.

Justin

Posted: Thu Feb 17th, 2011 03:55 pm
  PMQuoteReply
55th Post
Jessabettinalynn

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu Feb 17th, 2011
Mana: 
I JUST got a call from AIL in Calgary and I honestly don't remember sending in my resume. I probably did because I just moved from Manitoba a couple days ago and I was sending out resumes like crazy. So while I was searching the net trying to remember what I applied for, I found all this talk about how this company is a scam. First of all. I just moved. I don't have the money to put in to this company. They should have told me this before, BEFORE jumping on a bus for the first time in my life to get there. Second of all, I'm only 18. I don't want to have to wait a year just to make some good money. So this company might not be a scam, but they sure as a hell don't keep you informed either and isn't that worse? Like I mean.. They tell you nothing UNTIL you gotta start spending money. That's rude to me. Do you really want employers like that and then become one? No thanks I'll pass. I'd rather work at A&W where people are honest and actually respect you.

Posted: Sun Mar 13th, 2011 11:36 pm
  PMQuoteReply
56th Post
bk204

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Mar 13th, 2011
Mana: 
Hello I have been working at the Winnipeg Office for AIL for a while now and they are hiring, but people kept telling me they would search it on google and this scam thread kept popping up so i figured i would check it out and see what the talk was about. The first think i noticed right away was eveyone who has claimed the company to be a "scam" has never actually worked here... Now take my word for it or not i would just like to set the record straight. The company is not a scam there are hundreds of offices across north america. If you have a job selling insurance and dealing with peoples finances you MUST be licensed to do so, none of the money you speak of is "admin fees". the LIFE LICENSE QUALIFICATION PROGRAM which you need to take in order to get your license isnt even offered through AIL you must take it through a business career college online, it is about $400, after you complete the course you must take a test which is regulated but the provincial government which costs $100 to take the test and $250 to get your license once you pass. Not a penny of this money goes "straight into the pockets" of anyone other then the educational facility you chose to take the course through and the government of canada. Now yes not everyone wants to hand over $750 before they start working at a job, but this money does not go to AIL and I wouldnt want someone dealing with my insurance that was just hired off the street with no knowledge, make sense so far? Like you guys sure i was a bit sceptical about it when i started but the commission you earn is very generous. I actually ended up making $2500 in my first 2 days after i was allowed in the field. They pay you every week and I average about $1200 a week. Now commission jobs arent for everyone of course you need to be great at talking to people and have enough knowledge about what you are dealing to go anywhere in a business like this but it is a great career. I really enjoy a job where your actually helping people at the most difficult times in their lives when they lose a loved one. Anyways I really wanted to just take a look at what people were saying about the company and I can tell you right now it is not a scam dont 'cancel' your interview, go to it and bring this up while your there.. ask questions, dont just make assumptions based on what a couple people have said after 'reading an email'.

Posted: Tue May 31st, 2011 07:57 pm
  PMQuoteReply
57th Post
sophietantan

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue May 31st, 2011
Mana: 
Today I got the call from ail for an interview finally.

I've never sent resume to them but they found me in monster maybe.

I'm a newcomer so I'm so exited to get an inteview but I have a strange feeling about the company. How can it hire a no-experience person so easily?

So I search "ail" from google, as I thought before, it is a scam,absolutely. In China, there are many scam companies like that, but I don't expect there is also in Canada.

Terrible,I will remind all the friends here about this scam company.

Thank u for the detail!

Posted: Mon Sep 26th, 2011 04:58 pm
  PMQuoteReply
58th Post
benallen105

Joined TALKCalgary: Mon Sep 26th, 2011
Mana: 
Just thought I'd add my 2c.

I got a call from AIL today. I live in Vancouver and had applied for a number of jobs recently, and added my resume to a few sites.

The girl on the phone did talk extremely fast, so I didn't manage to take on board how my resume appeared on her desk. Anyway after a few standard questions, to which she didn't sound too interested in my responses, I was offered a second interview at their offices.

I had a similar incident with a 'marketing' company last week, where the job totally turned out to be a complete scam, and wasn't at all what it was cracked up to be. That put me on my guard, so after this one, and after the initial excitement of having an interview lined up had worn off, I Googled them.

Glad I did as well. Thanks for all the heads up people, I shall be cancelling my interview.

Posted: Mon Oct 3rd, 2011 04:38 pm
  PMQuoteReply
59th Post
JJ Joseph

Joined TALKCalgary: Mon Oct 3rd, 2011
Mana: 
AIL phoned me a couple of days ago, just after refreshing my resume on monster. It's odd, because they called me several years ago, also just after posting my resume on monster. I skipped the interview then after checking out the co, and it looks like I'll be skipping them again!

Posted: Wed Oct 19th, 2011 03:20 pm
  PMQuoteReply
60th Post
lindsay12

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Oct 19th, 2011
Mana: 
I am Canadian, looking for a full time job, and I came across AIL Canada's ad for a Payroll and Benefits Clerk, so I applied and had my first interview today. It went well, and they want me in for a group interview next week.

I was talking to a HR friend of mine, and she said AIL was super sketchy, and to keep an eye out. So I started googling it, and found all these forums about how much of a rip off and scam it is.

Now my question is- what about for admin roles? I can totally see how the sales position is sketchy, but are the office jobs bad too? I am torn here, because I need a full time job, and this one offers benefits. I am still going to go for the group interview and see what they say, but I don't want to quit my 2 part time jobs if it's going to be a scam. Thinking back on my interview today, the hiring lady never did say anything about the position I had applied for, and it seems sorta weird that I'd have to have a group interview of 5-7 people that I had 3 dates to pick from. I hope this isn't a sales job disguised as an office job.

Anyway, if someone could give me more info on the payroll/office jobs, rather than sales, I would appreciate it very much.

Current time is 07:30 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

TALKCalgary - Forums > Calgary Stuff > General Talk > American Income Life a scam?

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.5495 seconds (4% database + 96% PHP). 29 queries executed.

468x60 24 hour free pass

PANOTONE™ Commercial Photography - "Because you never get a second chance, to make a first impression"
Architectural, Panoramic, Industrial, Promotional, Portrait, Publicity  Headshots, commercial video creation, and 360 Virtual Tour Production.
www.PANOTONE.com