TALKCalgary - Forums Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

You are viewing in limited guest access mode only. For full access please login or register

Shaw or Telus?
 Moderated by: Admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Apr 24th, 2009 04:23 pm
  PMQuoteReply
1st Post
photos2dvds

Joined TALKCalgary: Fri Apr 24th, 2009
Mana: 
iF YOU HAVE A CELL PHONE MAYBE YOU JUST NEED A SHAW CABLE.

If you need both TV and phone maybe choose telus boundle.

Posted: Sun May 3rd, 2009 05:39 am
  PMQuoteReply
2nd Post
cauchyResidue

Joined TALKCalgary: Sat May 2nd, 2009
Mana: 
Shaw all the way when it comes to customer service and technical support.

Posted: Mon May 11th, 2009 12:37 am
  PMQuoteReply
3rd Post
Cutter

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 26th, 2006
Mana: 
I agree Shaw leaves Telus for dead when it comes to tech support. Only problem is Shaw is over the top when it comes to price, they have unreliable internet speeds and a HDTV service that sucks. That said, Telus TV is not much better. 

We have a US Satellite service that costs less than 1/3 of Shaws standard TV package and provides us with more content than Shaws top TV Offering! 

As long as you can provide a US billing address go for US satellite it rocks!

Posted: Thu May 28th, 2009 05:32 pm
  PMQuoteReply
4th Post
Kiluminati

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu May 28th, 2009
Mana: 
Go with 3Web, you are basically getting Shaw but for cheaper.

Posted: Fri Jun 26th, 2009 11:53 pm
  PMQuoteReply
5th Post
ivanawinn

Joined TALKCalgary: Tue Jun 16th, 2009
Mana: 
My 3yr "high speed" internet contract with Telus ended in late 2008. I think I was paying ~$40/month (including taxes) for internet throughout this contract. My husband moved in with me at around the same time. He was with Shaw at his parents house so he noticed the sluggishness of my internet immediately. We did a speed test (go here http://www.speedtest.net) and it turned out that my Telus HIGH SPEED was at 1.5 Mbps while my in-laws internet was at 6 Mbps. Not to mention that Shaw then went and upgraded everyone's speed by 50% which boosted their speed from 6 to 10 Mbps. I paid $40 for 1.5Mbps while my in-laws paid $40 for 10Mbps!!!!!! I looked up Telus high speed plan on their website and learned that the speed could range anywhere from 1.5 Mbps to 6 Mbps and questioned why I was not automatically boosted to the higher limit. I called Telus to cancel so that I could make a bundle with Shaw. I talked to their customer retention center (in March 2009) and found out that I could have had quadruple the speed for half the price months ago, basically when my contract ended. I did some googling and found people who complained got their internet boosted to 6 Mbps for $19.99 and a free new modem with no strings attached, essentially without a contract. The customer retention agent had the nerve to say to me that "we called you but you did not want to boost your speed" and pay half the price. OMG, where is the logic in that!?! This is how Telus works, they do not tell you that you are eligible for a better deal until you complain. While Shaw just give you a 50% boost and then tell you ... ope we did it without your consent... hahaha. While Shaw high speed is faster but it is also much more expensive so I decided to stay with Telus because they had successfully enticed me with this new deal. Telus also gave me a deal on my phone bill but I will save this story for another blog.

Anyhow, that was not the end of my struggle with Telus, as a matter of fact, it still has not ended yet.

I have made over three dozen phone calls to Telus, each time waiting at least 45 minutes to speak to an agent, to setup the new internet and phone plans. I keep a log of every conversation with their agents. The log is long enough to publish into a book!!! Anyways, I do not want to bore you with all the convoluted excuses that Telus has given me for their incompetence. It has been 3 months now and I have lost telephone service twice, internet service twice and my Telus bill is still incorrect.

With respect to my telephone, the first time Telus changed my phone number without notifying me, I lived with this for 2 weeks and made numerous phone calls before it was fixed. The second time, which happened just last week, Telus gave my phone number to someone else and I did not have service for a week which caused me to lose a small work contract. I have not called to demand them to compensate me yet because right now my internet has just stopped working and I am waiting for them to resolve that before I bitch at them about a fair compensation for the last 3 months of hell.

Why am I still with Telus?? Well, not for long I guess. They can not possibly pay me enough to endure this horror and inconvenience. Let my experience be a lesson to all of you. There is a saying "learn from other people's mistakes because you just do not live long enough to make them all yourself."

Posted: Thu Jul 16th, 2009 02:41 am
  PMQuoteReply
6th Post
Cutter

Joined TALKCalgary: Wed Apr 26th, 2006
Mana: 
Telus don’t give a **BLEEP** when it comes to customer support. Shaw on the other hand have good customer support but provide a bland service that is over priced.

The difference is Shaw promises you the Earth, charge you an arm and a leg and then deliver a service which ranks them as one of the slowest (see DSL Reports) internet providers in all North America.

Another thing I dislike about Shaw is that they are for ever pissing around with the channel line-up.

As I said, we dumped Shaw cable a few years ago for Direct TV and have saved thousands of dollars since.

Posted: Fri Jul 17th, 2009 11:16 pm
  PMQuoteReply
7th Post
Hitman

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Aug 5th, 2007
Mana: 
I disagree about Shaw service being better than Telus. Shaw used to provide good service but recently the level of service provided by them has gone down hill to the point we closed our account with Shaw. Despite being offered all sorts of incentives to stay with them it just wasn’t worth the hassle, we had simply had enough.

Posted: Fri May 21st, 2010 06:47 pm
  PMQuoteReply
8th Post
ellistev

Joined TALKCalgary: Thu May 20th, 2010
Mana: 
Shaw is the best as far as advances in new technology go. They are preparing to test 1GB service in the Calgary area.

Posted: Mon Mar 28th, 2011 05:33 am
  PMQuoteReply
9th Post
vthiji10

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Mar 27th, 2011
Mana: 
Hi,just check with any of your friend who have shaw or telus  connection if not just you try and after getting connection check the internet speed from here  http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/  and if you are satisifed,continue else contact your provider...

Posted: Mon Mar 28th, 2011 05:36 am
  PMQuoteReply
10th Post
vthiji10

Joined TALKCalgary: Sun Mar 27th, 2011
Mana: 
Shaw all the way when it comes to customer service and technical support.

Posted: Mon Jun 13th, 2011 02:33 am
  PMQuoteReply
11th Post
1up_Ray
Guest Member

Joined TALKCalgary: 
Mana: 
Telus FTW if you are in a new area.

Current time is 12:39 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1678 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 29 queries executed.